Reggae Hostel Ocho Rios(Ocho Rios)(Great Value!)
US$58
  • Bar/Lounge
Moon Palace Jamaica(Ocho Rios)
US$1,021
US$437
Expedia
Jamaica Inn(Ocho Rios)
Hotels.com
Hibiscus Lodge Hotel(Ocho Rios)(Great Value!)
Hotels.com
Kaz Kreol Beach Lodge(Ocho Rios)(Great Value!)
Hotels.com
Chrisanns Beach Resort(Ocho Rios)(Great Value!)
TripAdvisor
TripAdvisor
All reviewsreggae beachbarefoot chefcassavawhite riverhumming birdsbed and breakfastother guestsbreakfast and dinnerwonderful hostslocal beachesthe main housepumpkin ricemeals preparedlikes and dislikesmajor attractionsjamaican hospitalityrelaxing stay
Reviewed 28 April 2018 via mobile

I first came across The Blue House here on TripAdvisor 8 years ago! At the time, our lifestyle was a bit different . We liked to party and had less money. Our first trip to Jamaica back then, like many other people , was to an all inclusive. However, one thing about Elise Yap, the host of The Blue House, that impressed me, is her non profit, Breadbasket Ministries . So, I gathered some of my fellow partiers, and some donations, and headed to The Blue House for an afternoon spent with under privileged kids from the local area. That day changed our lives! Elise revealed the reality of the lives that the poorest citizens of Jamaica endure. Honestly, we were blissfully unaware.
Fast forward 8 years!!! My husband and I finally book 5 nights at The Blue House! We don’t party hearty anymore , our priorities have changed somewhat. We no longer want unlimited alcohol or big crowds. We value fine conversation and food, the beauty of nature and connecting with Jamaica’s people.
Let me assure you, our stay was worth the wait, surprisingly affordable and all we dreamt it would be! Elise is the driving force and heart of The Blue House! She oversees the world class staff with an eye for detail, and a passion for hospitality. She and her staff cared for us like family . Darryl, her brother, The Barefoot Chef, is such a gem as well ! 5 nights of his food had me wishing I could fit him in my suitcase and take him home with me!!! Chinese, Jamaican, Indian, Italian- he made it all, with spot on flavor profiles and beautiful presentation! We looked forward to dining on the veranda, surrounded by beautiful flowers, hummingbirds and laughter each night.
We were given spot on recommendations for tours and beaches, driven by the charming Patrick, and had the opportunity to give back to the community by bringing much needed supplies to a shockingly destitute area nearby.
Breadbasket Ministries, led by Elise, are building homes for the people, with plumbing, previously a luxury to them.
Our first night, we celebrated two birthdays! Mine and Gloria’s , Elise and Darryl’s 88 year old mom! Truly a birthday to remember !
So, do yourself a favor , don’t hesitate, go there now! Don’t wait 8 years like we did!

Stayed: April 2018, travelled as a couple
3  Thank NaomeBradshaw
Reviewed 24 April 2018

The Blue House Bed & Breakfast what a lovely welcoming place.This gem is tucked away in Ocho Rios bordering the parish of St.Mary Jamaica in a very lovely residential area.On entering the gate there to welcome you the beautiful orchids and bouganvillas greenhills as the backdrap.The smiling owners and employees just let you feel right at home.The cleanliness, food and not to mention the view from the dining area overlooking the Ocho Rios bay is breathtaking,a place never to be forgotten.Your next vacation to Jamaica why not stay at The Blue House ?It's worth experiencing their hospitality it's a place you will never forget.

• Stayed: April 2018, travelled with family
1  Thank momanddad36
Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

At About 9:45 pm on April 3rd, my two aunts, my uncle in law and I arrived at The Blue House for our two nights stay. We were first welcomed by the Security Guard who opened the gates for us. Then upon exiting the car, the front door swung open and there came Conroy, who assisted us with our bags and other personal belongings. Immediately following him was the 88 year old mother, Gloria. She warm my welcomed us at that time of night and escorted us upstairs to the Tea Station. She got the kettle going within minutes. She chatted with us for a while, as we sipped on our tea - as a mother would with her children, after not seeing them for a while.

Breakfast was promptly served at 8:45am, our first morning - April 4 on the upstairs Veradah overlooking the lush, blooming Sun Vanda Orchids, the green, breathtaking hills of the Garden Parish of St Ann and neighbouring parish of St. Mary, then right below, among the neighbor’s equally gorgeous Orchids (predominantly Sun Vandas also) I caught the glimpse of the meandering Famous White River. Then as I glanced to my right there was a view of aquamarine Ocean. Oh what bliss to start one’s day!! Breakfast started with a fruit plate- consisted of sweet fresh watermelon, pineapple and Papaya - nicely presented by a pleasant, well mannered and well trained staff ( that of international standards). After which, we were served up the most colorful, tasty stir fried Ackee and Saltfish (Jamaica’s National Dish). It had almost equal pieces of Saltfish to Ackee with bits of low salt, lean, crunchy bacon, onions, red and green peppers with sprigs of thyme. This was complemented with medium sized, golden brown, flaky, moist, warm fried dumplings ( Johnny cakes). There was fresh Orange Juice, Teas of your choice and coffee. We were enjoying both breakfast and ambience, when Darryl, the Chef, walked up, said good morning and started chatting and totally engaged us. It was like we had picked up from our last conversation. To the point, that it was at the end of the conversation- I realized we were so engrossed, but I didn’t know his name, as there was no formality about our meeting. I then introduced myself and asked him his name.

Day 2 : Departure day / April 5. Breakfast was served in the same spot as yesterday. This morning we are served as starter Fruit plate, consisting of; fresh, sweet crispy textured watermelon, Bright Orange Papaya, very sweet naseberry and sweet orange ( Season’s BEST). Followed by Cassava Pancakes served with carmelized Banana and walnuts, syrup and THE MOST DELICIOUS links of sausages. It was my first time having Cassava Pancakes - they were to die for. One of my aunts, who is a health freak and her husband a diabetic and my other aunt, who eats 6 small meals per day, ALL went CRAZY about THIS BREAKFAST and asked for more. And of course the barefoot, congenial Master Chef, Darryl engaged us once more during breakfast.

Before checking out. We did a tour of the property. I bumped into Elise, the owner and primary caretaker of the Orchids and being an Orchid enthusiast also, we engaged. While talking, I realized we had more in common and that is our deep Spiritual connection. So we exchanged and chatted more. Before leaving, I took pictures and was gifted with a gorgeous burnt orange shade Vanda Orchid, by my Aunt Elsa.

Thanks for this WONDERFUL treat Angie.

Being a Foodie, a creative Cook, an Orchid Lover, having a eye finer the things in life, decorative abilities, love an immaculately kept place both inside and outside and having experienced ALL of this is ONE place - The Blue House. It was befitting and with ease I choose my title: HOME AWAY FROM HOME.

Judith C. Lawson - Kingston Jamaica

Stayed: April 2018, travelled with family
1  Thank judylawson2013
Reviewed 5 April 2018 via mobile

We loved our stay the Blue House! Darrel, the chef, served fabulous breakfasts and dinners! The gardens are gorgeous, I was in awe of the air orchids and flowers. We would definitely suggest this small Bed and Breakfast if you are staying in Ocho Rios!

Stayed: April 2018, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Linda C
Reviewed 28 March 2018 via mobile

Just returned from seven lovely days at The Blue House.

All the team at The Blue House are ever so friendly and helpful. Darryl cooked us up a treat every morning for breakfast and Orlando, Keneisha, Jodane and Conroy were all so welcoming to us.

The Blue House arranges a free transfer to 2 x local beaches (bamboo beach charges 11 dollars for entry which isn't worth it in my opinion). Location is about a 10 minute drive from the town which hosts many restaurants and shops.

We arranged a return transfer from the airport in advance with Keneisha which cost 120 US dollars with a lovely guy called Patrick who ended up arranging all of our tours for us.

We made some great friends whilst staying here due to having breakfast together every morning and everyone mixing like one big family. This was a great experience for us and would highly recommend The Blue House.

Some tips:

We booked the hummingbird family room which was lovely and spacious. However we didn't realise the bathroom isn't ensuite and had to use the bathroom across the hall (which was solely for our use). We got used to this quite quickly and it wasn't a problem. All other rooms are ensuite.

If you walk down towards the main road and flag down a taxi with a red number plate (these are safer as have insurance) it won't cost you more than 1000 Jamaican dollars return. We used Patrick for one night and he charged us 3000 Jamaican dollars for the same journey. We didn't enquire about the tours with anyone else and just used Patrick but think it's worthwhile as will probably be a lot cheaper (although Patrick and his team of drivers are absolutely lovely and accommodating)

Stayed: March 2018, travelled with friends