7,139 results
All reviewspreferred clubpiano barwild orchidjerk chickenroom servicemarlin barworld cafesecrets resortpreferred poolour honeymoonfrench restaurantseaside grillel patiochampagne breakfasthibachi grillwelcome hometurn down service
Reviewed 14 September 2016

My wife and I stayed at this resort August 6th -13th 2016. I must say we were totally impressed by the resort, food and the excellent customer service. From the time we stepped out of the cab we were treated with white glove service. I would definitely recommend this resort to anyone. The beaches were clean and the servers on the beach and restaurants were hands down the best !!!! I cant wait to go back.

• Stayed: August 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Charles F
Reviewed 13 September 2016

I have been to several Secrets Resorts and this by far was the best! They constantly had activities on the beach and pool area day and night. We went as a group of friends and were never board! The staff was over the top and the resort was spotless. The piano bar was one of our favorite parts. Food was excellent and drinks were top notch.
It was only about 15 minutes from the airport and Montego Bay.

Room Tip: We stayed in the cheapest room and it felt like we were in the most expensive! We still had a view of the ocean.
  • Stayed: October 2015, travelled with friends
1  Thank KayleeA16
Reviewed 13 September 2016

My wife and I just returned from our honeymoon to Jamaica! We stayed at the Secrets St. James - Montego Bay for 8 nights.

First, we have traveled previously to Dominican Republic together and had a very good time, but we absolutely fell in love with Jamaica! The demeanor of the Jamaican people is laid back and very courteous. Nearly all the staff at Secrets and anywhere we went in country would ask how are day was and how are trip was. "Irie" is the Jamaican word "all is good". The native language in Jamaica is English, but they have their own cultural language that is a mix of African dialect and English called "Patwah" (sp?).

Second, the resort. Secrets provides world class service. I would say the attention to detail on the grounds was a 9/10. Few little things here and there but that would totally be me just be nitpicky to say it wasn't 10/10. This place is paradise!

Grounds - Well manicured, high attention to detail

Restaurants - Very, Very Good food. Some of the descriptions we found don't do the actual food justice. Trust me, if something sounds remotely good, try it, because it will be. I tend to be more adventurous and will eat just about anything, my wife is a touch more picky but will still try things at least once. She can get weirded out by the way some of the things were described (like flavors that might not go together, etc) but she would order it anyway because the main dish is what she wanted and she was glad she did.

Staff - The staff is unreal, from the servers in the restaurants to the entertainment department people. Big shout out to SUNSHINE in the entertainment department. She was around the St. James side a few times and my wife and I had a blast talking with her, she's an absolute riot! About 50% of our breakfasts we had the pleasure to have Oshane as our server in the World Cafe (breakfast / lunch buffet), he was one of the sweetest people we could have encountered. Extremely pleasant to talk to, kept telling us we were on our vacation and had us tell him what we wanted from the buffet and he'd run and get it.

Beach - The beach is well manicured and taken care of. They have swimming areas roped off in the different beach sections. They do this because there's coral reefs around the resort so the swimming areas keep guests from getting into the coral too much. They do offer a guided snorkeling tour a few different times of day to check out the reefs if you want. IF you want big waves when you're at the beach you'll be disappointed in lots of areas in Jamaica, not just at Secrets. There's a barrier reef around the north and west side of the island that protects the shoreline from getting crushed by waves....we were told if you want waves you really need to be on the East side of the island.

Bars - Plenty of bars to choose from and all the bartenders err on the side of "extra love" (more alcohol) in the drinks. Watch out for Alvin (GREAT bartender) at the Seaside Grill pool bar area on the St. James side, if you're not paying attention he'll keep feeding you different drinks (guys no straws) and before you know it you may lose an evening....not that I'm speaking from experience or anything.

I surprised my wife with the destination of our travel for the honeymoon, she just knew it would be someplace tropical. She was beyond pleased with my choice. We both were. Neither of us would hesitate to visit Jamaica again tomorrow, nor would we hesitate to stay at Secrets again.

When I was originally researching resorts I kept reading about this "Jerk Chicken Cart" at Secrets.... OMG!!! This chicken is amazing! Item of note, in case you're not expecting it, the chicken will have bones in it, not just the jerk chicken but sometimes the chicken entrees, because they'll use like a half chicken breast, wing, thigh combo piece. But on one of our excursions a local was saying, "You ain't had jerk until you've had 'Smoked to the Bone' jerk; those resorts don't know how to do jerk." When i told him we were at Secrets and had the Jerk chicken cart (usually stationed between Wild Orchid and St. James, not far from Barefoot Grill) he said, "Now that there is what I'm talking about, that's good jerk." One other item I'll note that I didn't see in some of the reviews I read that mentioned the jerk cart is a couple nights after the shows the jerk chicken cart would appear again....I of course indulged. I didn't pass the jerk chicken cart all week without getting some jerk.

My last suggestion - TIP! The minimum wage in Jamaica is $60 / WEEK...many of the workers at the resort make a little bit more than that, but NOT much, like $70 / WEEK. My lasting impression is NO ONE expected a tip, but all were extremely APPRECIATIVE. And when you tip you're always going to get a little extra attention. Now I'm not talking a ton of money here....I'd go through maybe $15 / day if I was at the resort all day...I'd typically give the waiter at breakfast $2 (unless you just didn't get much service); another $2 at lunch; $3-5 at dinner depending on restaurant we were at and then a few dollars for bartenders etc. But it was all very worth it and with anyone on the receiving end being so appreciative rather than expecting it just made it that much more enjoyable.

Stayed: September 2016
8  Thank junior315
Reviewed 12 September 2016 via mobile

This place was absolutely amazing! I've done all inclusive before but they top it! This was a girls trip (4) and we were treated so nicely by all of the staff. Our check in was super fast, they gave a tour and overview of the room which was unexpected. The food was delicious. The servers and bartenders were fabulous. My favorite was Alvin. He was amazing and very personable and friendly. I will definitely go to another Secrets location!!

Stayed: September 2016, travelled with friends
5  Thank Dana M
Reviewed 12 September 2016 via mobile

It's our 3rd time here and every time it gets better and better!! From the staff to the facility everything is great! I would like to give a special Thank you to Nadia, Patrick and Michael! They are awesome employees! As a supervisor back home I wish all of my staff would be just like them!!! They have what you need to have this place continue towards a fabulous place to visit!! Overall all of the staff is Great!!! Can't wait to come back!! Thanks again everyone!

Stayed: September 2016, travelled as a couple