All reviews buddy dive drive thru the friday night bbq the reefs air station free nitrox swim up bar great diving pickup truck one bedroom apartment fish breakfast buffet is living area klein bonaire unlimited shore diving air conditioner marine life
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

I had no idea places like this existed! My husband and I started diving 19 months ago. Our dive master arranged a group trip to Bonaire and we stayed a Buddy Dive.

This resort is all about diving and has everything you need. Each condo comes with a truck which is great as they offer a tank pick up station and you are able to visit any dive site on the island.

The staff is very friendly- the employees on the boats are so helpful and great dive guides.

Our room was always clean and I made sure to tip our maid well each day. Tips can also be left in envelopes at the front desk in a tip box.

The resort organizes pick up and drop off to and from the airport which was a nice bonus at the start and end of our stay.

I have no experiences to compare our stay to as this was our first dive resort stay - I can imagine though that Buddy Dive likely set the bar very high for us.

Room tip: ask for room 708 if you want a one bedroom. There is a set of stairs down to the water and a private sand floor balcony that overlooks the ocean. The bedroom window also opens to the ocean so you sleep to the sounds of the waves.

Date of stay: November 2018
Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed 5 weeks ago via mobile

They were very attentive to all our needs. Even had a dive computer go down, and they got me back in the water with new equipment available to rent. The breakfast is inclusive and was very good. The rooms are very well air-conditioned, and kept very clean by the staff there. Wish there was a good grocery store that was closer.

Date of stay: November 2018
Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed 27 October 2018 via mobile

I've just finished a week long diving trip with 18 teenagers on a school trip and I cannot recommend Buddy Resort highly enough. They have been organised, friendly and incredibly accommodating of our big group! The apartments were exactly what we needed, the food in Blennies was great and suitable for even the fussiest of eaters. The diving was amazing, with all the sites close by and the guides and dive instructors were excellent! Delighted teenagers who saw turtles, seahorses and did a wreck dive (plus countless hours of swimming). I've been lucky enough to go on a number of diving trips and this has been by far the best resort I have experienced. Thanks for having us BDR!

Date of stay: October 2018
Trip type: Travelled on business
Reviewed 25 October 2018

My husband and I stayed here for a week trip in September. Overall, everything went very smoothly and we were pleased with our stay. I would return to this resort and I would recommend it to others. We purchased a Dive & Drive package, which included a room, a truck, unlimited shore diving with free Nitrox upgrade, transfers and breakfast.

Transfers to and from the airport were completely adequate. A resort member met us outside the terminal with a sign. They were on-time and as soon as the shuttle was full we left. Check-in took a little bit, but this was not unexpected as a large group of people all arrived at the same time on the airport shuttle. They had several staff members available to assist and there was cold water and seating available for the wait. Our room was ready and by the time we got there our luggage was already inside. We checked-out the night before we left and it was very easy. No unexpected charges or issues. The shuttle for the airport left on-time. The front desk staff was extremely friendly and very helpful during our stay. We went to them several times for recommendations about restaurants, where to park in town, getting a sim card, grocery stores, etc. They got out a map and drew all over it for us. Excellent customer service.

We rented a truck for our stay as we did primarily shore diving off the resort. We inspected the vehicle with a staff member and she was very thorough about marking dents/scratches on it before we took the keys. We purchased the more expensive per/day insurance but luckily didn’t have any issues with the vehicle. You can read plenty of blogs and info sites about petty theft and break-ins of vehicles on the island so I won’t belabor the point here. We always left the windows partway down and the truck unlocked. We left basic, cheap items in it when we went diving and never had anything taken. Turning in the vehicle involved a staff member inspecting it again.

The room (a one bedroom apartment) was very clean and spacious. We were in a great location (room 104) which was very near the restaurants and dive shop. It was very convenient for loading and unloading items but was still fairly quiet. Side note, the only issue we had with noise was when other people left for very early morning flights and thumped their huge suitcases down the stairs, which ended right outside our bedroom window. This only happened one morning though. Housekeeping did a great job and everything in the room worked as it should (a/c, fridge, stove, toaster, microwave). We did have one major issue with our room and that was the temperature. It was really hot in the living room/kitchen area. The a/c unit is in the bedroom. It would have been great if the back doors could have been open, which would have allowed a cool breeze, but the mosquitoes made this impractical. It would have been really nice if there were screens. Maybe if you stayed on an upper floor you could have doors and windows open for a breeze without the bugs. Or if you didn't face the garden. I'm not sure, but I do know that being in our living room during the day and evening was uncomfortable.

The dive shop staff was very friendly. We didn’t interact with them much after the first day as we did not do any boat dives. Registering with them, getting the marine park tags and getting weights was easy. After the dive orientation you are pretty much free to dive as you like. The staff was very friendly and helpful in marking the dive site maps with sites that would be good for us (based on what we told them we wanted to see and the “easy-ness” level we were looking for). The lockers are quite small and it was difficulty to get two full sets of dive gear in them, particularly the higher lockers where you had to lift everything up. A short person would have a very difficult time and it would be impossible to hang your wetsuit. Our only complaint about the dive staff is we observed several times that when one guy would go for a swim he would get out and toss his keys into the camera rinse tank. And I mean toss, like, not looking, and from a distance. He could literally do this in any other rinse tank and it wouldn’t matter but that could easily scratch a lens in the camera tank.

The drive-thru fill station is what makes this resort so great for shore diving. It is fairly well designed and easy. We used it every day and really never had to wait in a line. We dropped off our used tanks, grabbed new ones, analyzed them, put them in the truck bed and were good to go. They have rinse tanks there as well. It appeared that they were building lockers at the drive-thru, which would be fantastic, because if you are only shore diving away from the resort, it was not convenient to use the lockers down at the dive shop for your gear.

Our package included a daily buffet breakfast. It was very good and had a huge variety of cold and hot food, including an egg/omelet station. We didn’t eat at either of the two restaurants as we either cooked in our room or went into town. The breakfast staff were extremely friendly and kind. They were diligent about picking up dirty dishes to try and keep the birds off the tables.

We very much enjoyed our time at this resort and would definitely return if we take another trip to Bonaire.

Room tip: Upper floors might be better to have windows open without a swarm of mosquitoes.
Date of stay: September 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
2  Thank nessren13
Reviewed 19 October 2018

referred by cruise line, picked us up at pier, efficient operation, very safety conscious, on first dive had to go through check out (requirement in Bonaire) just off dock area, dive was still very good, lots of small fish, saw large parrots & angels as well, dive guide was near by but not in the way, second dive had lots of soft coral, again lots of large parrots & angel fish, both dives in max of 60 ft, gave us lots of bottom time, did not rush us back to dive boat, dive operation supports coral restoration efforts, would consider dive vacation at their resort, I would definitely dive with them again

Date of stay: October 2018