Canopy Tribes
Agoda.com
  • Restaurant
Agoda.com
  • Pool
Zen Boutique Hotel(Johor Bahru)
TripAdvisor
All reviewswarm waterround the clockhis teamunique placefull housebring your ownclose to naturebobtrekkingmattressesrainforestmilogununglovergateschoolbites
Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

Owner only knew to take money and not serving customers or visitors. All the tents leaked heavily, infested with fungus and we had to find another place to stay. No food, poorly managed and simply not welcoming here. Take a look at the photos...

Stayed: May 2018
1  Thank arshall79
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Three of us booked this facility days ago together with some activities which WE ALREADY PAID via funds transfer to the owner.

We went there last Saturday. It was raining and it is not easy to find a cab to go this remote site. There was also a long queue at the immigration (we waited around 2hours to get cleared). We did message the owner at 5pm that we are running late because of this unwanted hiccups.

We arrived at the remote site 8pm because of the situations mentioned above and mainly because the remote site was hard to find!

When we arrived, the gate was closed so we called the OWNER. On the initial conversation, it seems he was not expecting us. He was very difficult to talk to and even our taxi driver talked to him in the local language and he was not being friendly. He said someone will arrive on the site after 5 minutes. We waited until 830pm and no one was coming so we called again. The conversation was really not good as the OWNER was shouting and giving the impression he doesn't want us. His staff came but they were only there to open the gate. We don't have food, there was no pillows/bed in the tent and the no stuff for the booked activities.

The owner was saying this is because we are late!. He should have consider all the factors why we were late and we did message him about it. Even so, there was a paid itinerary. We could have missed 1 activity but we could still have done the next agreed activity. And how can we have dinner on that remote area? That's totally unacceptable! What makes this experience worst is really the OWNER shouting and being difficult with us! We are customers and we already paid for the facility and activities! We keep on calling him using and he was already cancelling our calls. We told him that we will cancel and just gave us back the money. He doesn't want to refund our money so we reported him to the police and JB government!

PLEASE DO NOT GO TO THIS FACILITY AND HOPE IT WILL GET CLOSED FOR OTHERS NOT TO EXPERIENCE THIS ANYMORE. HORRIBLE, TERRIBLE and THE WORST!

Room Tip: Please do not go to this faciltiy and hope it will get closed for others not to experience this nightmare! Horrible, terrible and the worst!
  • Stayed: April 2018, travelled with friends
MalcolmOK, Owner at Canopy Tribes, responded to this reviewResponded 2 weeks ago

Thank you Benjamin for your review so that I had the opportunity to response to your experience.

1. Firstly, he arrived after 8pm which was our cut off time for "no show". Our staff had already gone back.
Despite their late showing, I had asked my staff to return to serve them.

2. After checking in he demanded for the Firefly cruise which already had departed at 7:30pm from the jetty.
He insisted on going to the Firefly Cruise stating that our program had mentioned 7:30pm-8:30pm, so before 8:30pm he is still entitled to the Firefly Tour, not realising that the stated time is the duration of the cruise. Despite explaining to him, he insisted on his right to do the cruise as it is still before 8:30 pm.

3. BBQ was already over. Then our staff suggested serving fried rice, sausages and chicken wings.
He demanded for BBQ or nothing.

The guests had only booked for the 2D1N stay but did not pay for the BBQ and activity. Maybe he had some misunderstanding with his female friend, who had made the booking, that the itinerary had been paid. The dinner was offered to him for free. All the while he was highly demanding, shouting and rude, demanding for the "paid activities", as was repeated in this review.. Later they checked out, saying that they were not able to do any activity. As it was already after 9pm, we are unable to arrange any activities.

Reviewed 10 December 2017

I initially didn't want to post a bad review up but the whole experience was so utterly disappointing that here I am to tell everyone that you should avoid this business like the plague.

I initially booked the place for the 6th of Dec from their website and Malcolm was quick to response with my messages and I immediately transferred to him my booking for 1 person for RM185. After I confirmed and paid for my booking I went online to check the place out more, I saw endless of horrible reviews from FB to tripadvisors, to airbnb you name it but I convinced myself that maybe it was from individuals who had high expectations from "glamping" it is after all just camping in the jungle if I went with minimal expectations it would be fine.

On the 6th of Dec, I drove all the way from JB to his campsite and arrived at 12 noon and when I arrived the gates to his campgrounds are locked. Mind you his campgrounds is quite far off into the woods and there is totally no phone signal. So I drove all the way back to Kota Tinggi town to give him a call and he told me that he had forgotten about me checking in today and he apologized and asked me to wait for 2 hours, promising to send his staff there by 2 pm. At 2 pm I drove back into his campgrounds and waited a whole hour till 3 pm and there was no one in sight. Frustrated, I once again drove back out to the town to get a phone signal to give Malcolm a call. He picked up the phone apologized and told me that he just got off the phone with his staff and his staff is 5 minutes away and told me to go back to the campgrounds. I figured oh well sometimes stuff happens so I once again turn back to his campgrounds. I went back and waited again till 4 pm and once again no one in sight. At this point I just feel absolutely disappointed with Malcolm but yet I still choose to compose myself and drove back to Kota Tinggi town again to call him. But this time when I reach the town and called him he refused to pick up my calls and even after reading my Whatsapp messages he refused to reply me. So I decided then to head back to JB. He replied me later on the day and I just told him to refund me. He immediately promised that he will. Days after days he kept giving excuses to why he can't refund me the money. He's out, he's busy, he'll do it tomorrow. Finally I grew tired of it and told him to keep the money, I'll be making a police report and magically he replied to my message immediately that he already transferred the refund to me. But the best part is that he only refunded me RM 150. Even after causing his customers so much inconvenience he still had the cheek to shortchange and try to make a quick buck out of his customers. This utter lack of integrity and moral is what ended up making me write this whole review. I cannot imagine if someone who went there using a taxi. There is no phone signal at all and the person will be stranded in the woods. I would not recommend this establishment and Malcolm to anyone. Totally unprofessional and the only reason why I am giving it 1 Star is because I can't give it a negative.

• Stayed: December 2017, travelled solo
5  Thank Melvin S
MalcolmOK, Owner at Canopy Tribes, responded to this reviewResponded 13 December 2017

We are sorry that Melvin did not have an opportunity to stay at our resort. Unfortunately, our staff was busy pitching new tents at a new resort in the morning, they had come to my house by bike before going over in my car. After lunch I had asked them to return to the campsite to prepare for the arrival of our guest. When they arrived at my house by Uber, they realized that they had kept their helmets in my house. Then I had to rush back to unlock the door. Melvin had messaged me that he had arrived and I had informed him of the situation and told him to wait for my staff to return (he was also early as the check in time was 5pm). When my staff reached the campsite at 4pm, they were unable to locate him.
We agreed for a refund which was completed within 2 days. There was a shortage in the refund of Rm35, on being informed, we realized that we had made a mistake and immediately completed the balance within 5 minutes. Despite receiving a full refund, our guest still seems to be unsatisfied and had misinformed in the review that we had deliberately short changed him.

Reviewed 22 November 2017 via mobile

The campsite was easy to locate as it is 50m, from the main road. On our arrival, we were warmly greeted by the staff. At first look from the gate, the place seemed a little run down but we should not be too hasty with our decision. We were quickly checked in after paying the Rm100 deposit for our tent. The tent was clean and tidy with double mattresses and fresh linens, it is big, nicely furnished and with power sockets. The best was the amazing BBQ spread, we had a wide choice of food and it was all freshly cooked. We like the free flow of mineral water and hot beverages, there was the 3-in-1 white coffee and milo. We enjoyed our trek to the waterfall, a new experience for the kids. They were reluctant to leave the place and asked to visit again for their next school holiday.

Stayed: October 2017, travelled with friends
MalcolmOK, Owner at Canopy Tribes, responded to this reviewResponded 23 November 2017

Thank you for your visit. We had enjoyed hosting your family and we look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed 9 October 2017

This is a very honest review, so I please read before booking!!!

I read through the other reviews before booking and I agree they vary from really good to very bad... and I think that sums up this place rather accurately... Very inconstant in quality, so it's pot luck if you have a good experience or not. My advice would be to only pay the deposit upfront and pay the remainder once you arrive and can be assured that your tent is in a healthy condition.

Our story: We hired the full campsite out for an event for 40 people and although we were all prepared to be one with nature and enjoy the camping lifestyle, we were not prepared for the unhealthy, and unkept nature of the camp ground.

We booked 10 tents that were told could hold up to 6pax - however when we arrived only 5 of the tents were in a condition to sleep in. The other 5 were completely black on the inside and stank of mould, not mention had puddles on the floor from the holes in the roof and walls, so you can only imagine the bug situation. Also to fit 6 people in even the largest tent was an absolute push! When we brought this up with the camp ground owner he said that it's not his problem and there was nothing he could do. In the end we didn't have enough beds for everyone so many had to cram into two per single mattress. On the other hand 3/5 of the better tents where quite nice and were exactly what you would expect from a glamping situation (although still very tight for 6 people).

Dinner on the first night was reheated Domino's pizza and chicken wings which seemed a far cry from the BBQ buffet advertised - although dinner on the second night was a lovely BBQ with many options so sadly again, the quality is not consistent.

The camp ground was covered in litter and dog poo (sometimes in the tents), which was hard to spot as the ground were very over grown and unkempt - not to mention the random metal tent pegs littered around the camp ground not attached to anything! When we asked the owner to clean up the dog poo and help remove the stray tent pegs, he refused and again, saying it wasn't his problem.

There were two sets of bathrooms that were available - the first was fine (2 toilets and a shower) while the other was completely over grown and looked like it hadn't been used in years let alone given a simple clean!

The owners wife was however so lovely and helpful and tried her best to accommodate where possible as nothing had been organised for our arrival, despite our constant communication in the lead up to the event...again the owner simply said there was nothing he could do and as he had been paid in full was not obligated to do anything further.

I know that reading this review you will think that we were expecting a hotel in the jungle but to be honest our expectations were very realistic for camping conditions and I was very unimpressed to see that they were well below that. Over all I think this could have been a really nice experience if the owner had taken just a little more care with the tents and quality control of the grounds. So sadly I have rated a 1 and will be tell all my friends to give this place a miss!

Room Tip: Ask for a new tent and only pay the deposit before arriving
  • Stayed: October 2017, travelled with friends
4  Thank Amy R
MalcolmOK, Owner at Canopy Tribes, responded to this reviewResponded 10 October 2017

The stay at our place was a complete success and everybody had a marvellous time.
Prior to her arrival, I had informed her that 2 tents were old. She had accepted it. She did not complain about the old tents when she stayed on the first night. The complain was made the next day about the tents and campground at noon. As guests were arriving, there was little that can be done. However, I had compensated her with a free campfire and waiver to damages on our window panes by her group.
We had enjoyed hosting her group and wishing her the best.