Ways to Experience Zion-Mt. Carmel Highway
from US$251.32
from US$269.00
from US$139.00
More Info
All reviews beautiful drive checkerboard mesa east entrance big horn sheep canyon overlook trail pull over take photos mile tunnel every turn rock formations mountain goats scenic route spectacular views take your time bucket list traffic switchbacks
Selected filters
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

You have to go through the Zion Tunnel at least once. The longest tunnel in the Beehive State is a great drive for kids to enjoy. There's also the Checkerboard Mesa on the east side of the tunnel, as well as the Overlook Trailhead.

Date of experience: May 2021
Reviewed 8 May 2021

Research this highway and learn about the tunnel and the windows it contains and take advantage of every pull-over where you can take in the scenery and take pictures or short hikes. I recommend driving it both ways. Take it one way and then turn around and go back the way you came - there's always something worth seeing again or that you missed the first time.

Reviewed 28 April 2021

*Warning* Zion-Mt. Carmel SR9 Byway is one freaking scary drive!!! My Whopperhead husband be doing the most! Everything was great until we left the park and he decided to take the east exit scenic view, knowing I'm terrified of being that high on the edge of a mountain, especially with his driving skills. I was scared for my life!!! There are no guard rails, and the drop is steep. The road is narrow and it had been raining that day. I swear my life flashed before me in slow motion. I almost died just from the fear alone. Imagine trying to breathe with your heart beating a thousand times per second. I'm FREAKING DONE!! I'm NEVER going on vacation with him again. This is the third time he's pulled something like this on me, and I'm not doing this anymore!!! All this stress for a picture. I'm going to church Sunday and I'm going to change my life. This was too close to DEATH!!! I don't care if I am a chicken.

3  Thank Genell2021
Reviewed 26 April 2021

This is a beautiful drive. Some of our favorite views in the park. The traffic in April was not bad an we really enjoyed it.

Reviewed 21 April 2021

There is two main roads in Zion Mt. Carmel Highway cuts from the South to the East of Zion and you can take in the beauty in your own car. The other you have to pay and be there on time to see the upper part of Zion.

1  Thank colleen c