Ways to Experience South Kaibab Trail
from US$304.00
from US$298.73
from US$379.49
1,695 results
All reviews ooh aah point skeleton point cedar point bright angel phantom ranch south kaibab great hike day hike mule trains grand canyon hiking poles start early miles round trip bring plenty of water decent shape turn around switch backs
Selected filters
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Excellent trail, very well-kept paths and unbeatable views. My partner and I went down to Cedar Ridge and back in 2 hours including a half-hour break at the ridge for food and photos. Definitely best to do it in the morning when there’s still shade as it can get very hot. A few points were also very windy. It’s a steep climb back up but not too bad and we had plenty energy left to walk right along the South Rim afterwards. There’s restrooms at the ridge but no water to wash hands/drink or hand sanitizer. Highly recommend!

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

The Grand Canyon is truly spectacular. We did the Kaibab Trail down to Ooh Aah Point. I will say that for beginner hikers who aren’t used to the altitude: this is plenty! Remember to take plenty of water and some snacks. Go to the restroom before going as there isn’t one along the trail to this point. Hiking poles would have been helpful, especially for the trek back up to the Rim.

1  Thank marliel2016
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

A gorgeous trail to hike. We started around 5:30am and the sunrise on the canyon created views we will never forget. The hike is steep and narrow in some places. We got to the river around 9:00am.

It is better to do this trail in the morning when it's cooler since it does not have much shade and does not have water. If you do plan on going all the way down make sure you have enough water, salts, and sun protection. Plan ahead for this trail, impulsively going too far can get you in trouble.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

A great trail to leave the rim behind .... actually above ...and enter the canyon. Yes it’s a busy popular trail but rewarding with views, fellow hiker comradely and feeling of accomplishment. We went as far as Cedar ridge where there is a rest room but no water. Just take the orange park shuttle for a drop off at the trail head.

Reviewed 5 weeks ago via mobile

The sad fact of his hike is the farther you go the more beautiful the scenery and the more you have to hike up! We listened to the advice of a park ranger at the petrified forest National park and here’s what we did right:

1. Packed water with our new 2.5 liter water backpacks. I had my new walking sticks and we carried a bunch of salty snacks including honey mustard pretzels and beef jerky. Hiking boots, layers to deal with major change in temp.
2. Arrived at the park around 4:50 and got to the trail head on shuttle by 5:10. Hung out on top to watch the sunrise (although couldn’t see actual sunrise, still pretty)
3. We had agreed that we would plan to hike until about 10 am, turning back using the calculation of it taking twice the time to hike up than down. We were pleasantly surprised to find ourselves at skeleton point by 7:30 and my daughter really pushed to go all the way down. We walked a switchback or two and I did the math—realizing this would be really stupid. We weren’t prepared! So I refused and we’re now glad I did, because it was grueling! Got back at 10:30.
4. Do go just beyond skeleton point to see the Colorado river!

Next time I would plan a year earlier and stay at the bottom. I’d also wear one less layer! 30 in the dry cold wasn’t very cold. And If there was a chance of doing the 12 miles, I would have trained in advance!