US$32
Fun Chen Motel(Xiaogang)
Takao Motel(Xiaogang)
  • Room Service
TripAdvisor
All reviewsnear airportamerican stylenext morningbottled waterfront deskgreat hotelcokeshuttlehkgtoiletrieschineseluggagelaundry
Reviewed 11 January 2018 via mobile

Stayed at this hotel when we transited at Kaohsiung. The hotel is outside the airport but very close. They have good size rooms and friendly staff. Our booking included free breakfast but because we have to leave early, the front desk kindly packed our breakfast.

Stayed: January 2018, travelled with family
Reviewed 2 October 2017 via mobile

Price was valuable through online booking, and allowable pay on arrival.

free pick up service available from airport (My tips: called after luggage ready and wait at door 3. FYI: We 5 ladies with 5 pieces of luggage, just a bit enough). Driver was at good service and took 5m to the hotel.

Room was clean and hygiene. The shower was wonderful (water power and quantity). Complementry bottled water, coffee & tea bags and cans of Coke also available. A one-off slipper and toiletries were free too. Air-con worked fine. Excellent free in-room Wi-Fi connection.

Breakfast was great, buffet with quite various food available. Environment was comfortable. Out of our expectations
Front desk service was efficient and overall interior was very similar as those photos

Will come again. Highly recommended

Stayed: September 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 28 June 2017

My flight is at 8 AM, so I moved here on my last night in Kaohsiung. Very smart move. I am now packed for flight, I can enjoy a breakfast leisurely which begins at 6:30 AM.

Inexpensive. My room was $50 with a window. I could have settled for a window-less room at $40, though being American, the idea was abhorrent. In reality, there is nothing to see out the window, it being a narrow light well, looking at another room's windows and a blank wall. Though I am on level 12, highest, they covered the light well with a corrugated roof (should have been glazed not solid), so not even daylight comes through! Even if it was glazed, 10th FLR & below won't matter. I had my curtain drawn the whole time, there is no point of having a window, unless you have one of the larger 3 rooms (1201, 1202 or 1203) facing the street for which you pay a considerable higher premium ($75), still very reasonable compare with US room rate.

Renovated rooms. All finishes are new and nice, esp. the bathroom. The interior lighting is all pointed downlight, bad idea for a hotel room, not restful at all. I had them all off with toilet light on. The flat screen sports only 720 HD, terribly hard on the eyes. But there is nothing to watch on cable TV, unless you understands Chinese (Mandarin or Taiwanese). So, that shouldn't matter.

High end finish and cool design for lobby, its public restrooms and dining hall, the doors are all hidden design. The designer had fun. The breakfast buffet is pretty good for such a small hotel, the only downside is that the servers are not exactly friendly or polite, and unfortunately for me, I saw a cockroach on the dining table and I took care of it rather than let it roam to ruin others' appetite. Good thing I haven't taken my food or sit down to eat but still. Cockroaches are a real pest in Taiwan, everywhere, like ants in the US, thus difficult to manage for older properties.

Free pickup and drop off at the KHH airport or MRT station. That's very valuable for flight based guests. But I don't think I would ever stay here except for next day's departure flight. It's too far out from the city. The shuttle sedan starts running at 7 AM and my flight to HKG leaves at 8 AM. The driver met me at 7:02, I was seated on my flight at 7:26. KHH is a small airport, no line at security screening, very long line at passport control, boarding the business class and needy folks took quite a while. So you get the picture, unless you are prone to anxiety, leaving at 7 AM is plenty early for 8 AM flight, that's the advantage of a 5 min ride to a small airport.

The night before, I walked to the MRT station, through the night market, to visit a relative in the city's central park area and back. It's actually not inconvenient. You just have to enjoy seeing Kaohsiung's not so pretty street scene.

Room Tip: If you care about window & view, ask for Rm #1, 2 or 3. If not, take the cheapest.
  • Stayed: June 2017, travelled solo
1  Thank Keydawn
Reviewed 5 January 2017

My wife and I (both 60 years old), were staying at The Riverside Hotel on 18 -20 December 2016, on our way to Hong Kong.

The most attractive futures of this hotel are:
location near International Airport – about 10 minutes by taxi;
walking distance (one block) to big supermarket, and bank (no fee for currency exchange).
cleanliness and customer-friendly staff;
laundry on premises.
For breakfast, you may choose between Asia and European/American-style meals.
This hotel is pick-up point for tourists' tours.

General Note. If the tourist is not speaking Chinese dialects – difficulties in communications guarantied in Taiwan. Be ready! Have addresses of your destination written in Chinese, and with the phone number of destination. People of Taiwan are very friendly, and they will do best to assist you.

• Stayed: December 2016, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Marcus G
Reviewed 29 December 2016 via mobile

The hotel is near the airport,approximately 5 mins drive. Good ambience and the hotel staff are friendly. The room is small but is okay,clean and comfortable,good for a short night stay to catch morning plane on the next day. Free shuttle to airport available at 7am onwards.

Stayed: December 2016, travelled as a couple