“Ploughmans”
Review of The New Inn

The New Inn
Ranked #6 of 7 Restaurants in Pembridge
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Public house serving good old pub meals at reasonable prices,exceptional building of great historical interest,unspoiled and treasured, unique in so many ways,
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Sharing a ploughmans platter for two outside this fantastic pub with a bottle of dunkertons black fox cider. Heaven,just what a pub should be!

Date of visit: September 2021
Write a reviewReviews (238)

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

So disappointed. We'd been here for drinks in the past and loved this pub. We'd heard so many positive reviews about the food, so chose to come here for our wedding anniversary meal.

The pub is a beautiful place, homely, cosy and welcoming. The dining room is lovely too. We were shown the menu and I wasn't enthusiastic to be honest. A lot of red meat, one vegetarian option and one fish dish (asides from fish and chips or scampi, which you can get anywhere). No chicken or poultry option at all. I'd been fancying fish all day, so went for the cod, even though it's far from my favourite fish. But for me, it was either that or the vegetarian dish. I don't like red meat so this was all I had to choose from.

The menu said it was cod in a lemon and herb crumb. It mentioned nothing about what any of the sides were, nor were we given any options, so I just ordered it. I did ask if there were any other fish options available but was told no. Ok, so be it. I hoped I'd enjoy it.

Sadly, the fish was mushy and tasteless, except for the taste of grease. The crumb was soggy and honestly, not at all enjoyable. It came with an undressed salad and two bone dry new potatoes, no butter, and no option of butter. No sauce of any sort either. I just had a dry, mushy plate of food.

Nobody came throughout the meal to ask if everything was ok. 2 people cleared the plates away at the end, and despite there being a lot of food left, still, nobody asked if it was ok. I'd already made up my mind that when asked was everything ok, I would discreetly tell them no, I hadn't enjoyed it, but nobody asked. That's not right in my opinion. It speaks volumes that my husband asked could he try it and also thought it was tasteless and unpleasant. Normally, if I'd left it, he'd have cleared the plate on my behalf, but even he didn't want to eat it.

I told him I wasn't going to make a fuss, but if asked, I would still tell them I hadn't enjoyed it rather than leave a negative review. Sadly, even when we went to pay, still, nobody asked.

I don't often leave negative reviews, and I hate leaving this review, but if nobody bothers to ask, what other option do I have? It's a lovely pub, but I can't recommend the food at all. Hubby ate his but said it was just ok and he wouldn't want to eat there again.

It's a real shame. We didn't stay for pudding as the main meals put us off. We had a bottle of white wine which was nice, but for white wine, you'd expect it to be chilled and it clearly wasn't. It had been put in a bucket of cold water with some ice, but not enough to properly chill it.

I know in leaving this review I will never be welcome back just for a drink, which I still think it is worth going for because it's a lovely pub, but I'd rather tell the truth. If a single person had bothered to ask if everything was ok, I would've told them and not left this review, but that's just another thing that wasn't right. An anniversary comes once a year, and now we have to wait another year to try and erase this poor memory.

So one star for a lovely building and one star for the nice tasting wine, even though it wasn't cold. But sadly, that's where it ends. I wish so much our experience had been what I thought it would be, but there's never any excuse for not asking if everything was ok.

Date of visit: September 2021
Reviewed 29 August 2021

We have held our third family reunion at the New Inn. The quality of the food, the friendly inviting atmosphere and the excellent service made for a most memorable occasion. Highly recommended.

Reviewed 24 August 2021

We turned up without booking but the lovely landlady made us fish and chips! The service was relaxed and really friendly ,the food was lovely!
We sat outside on a beautiful evening and it was a great experience.
Book and get the full menu choice!

Reviewed 13 August 2021 via mobile

Stayed in the village and came to this pub for drinks and food for several days. The beer and food was outstanding. The staff were super helpful and polite. The ale was just incredible. The food was also very good. Home cooking in a pub. Can’t speak highly enough of this place. We had the most enjoyable few evenings here. Love this place.