All reviews winter weekend honesty bar enjoyed our stay one night the river penny authentic linens tv bed cottage accommodation
Reviewed 4 March 2018

I was part of a group of 3 who booked a cottage on Air B&B. The AirB&B advert was very misleading and so the couple I stayed with relocated me to the Stanford Hotel down the road. IT WAS ONE OF THE BEST HOTEL STAYS EVER!!! Penny and David are the most gracious, authentic and amazing hosts. The room was clean and quiet with everything I needed. This morning when checking out, I got a tour of the amazing old bar area which has been made into a little Heritage Museum and heard some amazing history of this hotel. Almost wished I didn't have to go to a 50th birthday celebration as I would have loved to try one of DAvid's steak evenings down the road. Can't recommend enough - just delightful!

Stayed: March 2018, travelled with friends
Penny V, Owner at Stanford Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 March 2018

What a wonderful review. So heartwarming it absolutely made our week. Thank you so much Kim. Its always so rewarding to know that you are getting it right somewhere. I do hope that we will see you again very soon.

Reviewed 23 February 2018 via mobile

Well I think you can give this hotel 5 stars. We stayed in a bungalow that was an authentic cottage probably used by residents long ago. The floor is concrete, the rooms are furnished with wooden chairs and tables and the kitchen is fully equipped with anything you would need. A braii is on the veranda. The bed is comfortable and the linens were top shelf. And clean - really clean. Wifi is available and if you want TV - it is in the hotel lounge which also houses a bar. The staff is courteous and helpful. We enjoyed our stay And we didn't spent a fortune.

Stayed: February 2018, travelled as a couple
Penny V, Owner at Stanford Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 February 2018

Thank you so much for taking the time and trouble to write this truly heart warming review. It not only helps as a guide for future guests, but it also helps us, the host, to fix what is not working for our guests and to take heart when we get it right. We are in the hospitality industry and ensuring the comfort and happiness of our guest is paramount. You stayed in Sixpence, a unit which many years ago served as staff accommodation. We renovated Sixpence recently to provide much sought after self-catering accommodation for two people and a small pet. We are so delighted that you enjoyed your stay in Sixpence and hope that you will return very soon again.

Reviewed 16 February 2018 via mobile

So I liked the hotel. Slightly offbeat but we stayed in a cottage with two bedrooms sitting room etc. I grew up in Southern Africa so it was all familiar. Depends what you want but if that is nice beds, being looked after then enjoy. The village itself is ok but one night will do it.

Stayed: February 2018, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the trouble to review our hotel.

Reviewed 16 January 2018

I recently stayed at the Stanford Hotel.Thoroughly enjoyed my stay. Accommodation was great. Owner and staff made mine a very pleasant stay.
I cannot take negative comments, posted here by others, seriously. Maybe they just had a bad (hair) day !!
Thanks Stanford Hotel ...... from Bruce Winterbach

• Stayed: December 2017, travelled with friends
Penny V, Owner at Stanford Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 January 2018

Thank you so much Bruce! We loved having you and look forward to your next visit, which will hopefully be very soon. Best wishes from Penny and the Stanford Hotel team.

Reviewed 28 November 2017

The woman Penny who runs it was arrogant and downright nasty. Understand this... I am a professional from New York City. I have traveled to over 70 countries and I never had a woman be so rude. (Perhaps she's not used to dealing with people of color. Otherwise, she might be very lovely).

Anyway, she showed a room then just asked us to leave without explanation. She was down nasty! I was traumatized by the experience.

• Stayed: November 2017, travelled with friends
3  Thank tony k
Penny V, Owner at Stanford Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 November 2017

Tony Kirkland. You have gone to a lot of trouble to cover all social media platforms with your malicious racism allegation. Before you even arrived on my premises, your conduct and behaviour at our local tourism office with a young lady who was trying to assist you, was completely inappropriate and unacceptable. Your drunk and disorderly conduct on my premises while I was showing you our last remaining room available was disgusting. You were the first person I have turned away from my premises in 15 years. Your uncouth behaviour was reported to our local police station minutes after you left. Using cyber platforms like this to malign people who will not tolerate your conduct is nothing short of cowardly.