“2nd visit”

Price range: US$24 - US$79
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Business meetings, Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Description: Verveine is both a traditional village fishmonger and a fine dining restaurant that specialises in fresh fish and shellfish that are caught in the UK shores. We are a multi award-winning restaurant with the accolades of 'best restaurant' and 'chef of the year' for 2011, 'chef of the year', 'best local menu' and 'best customer service' 2012 by Hampshire Life magazine.
Reviewed 31 May 2018 via mobile

Came for a special birthday, I am not very adventurous when trying different foods but husband and daughter are ,so as all the table need to have the taster menu I decided to go with that. Oh my goodness I am pleased I did , the eel mousse was something I would not have tried if just seen on the menu very rich and creamy, next was probably my favourite dish Brixham crab with seaweeds delighted the whole table, I've never had turbot before another fish I have discovered I like ,beautifully cooked and last but not least the dessert of blueberries (husband hates blueberries ate it all). Front of house lady is informed very helpful and friendly, the chef puts together things I would never dare and the two young chefs who work with him are extremely hard working. Not cheap but a lovely treat for a special occasion.

2  Thank Donna R

Reviewed 30 May 2018 via mobile

This is excellent and highly recommended
Easy email reservation, directly in contact with the chef patron
Had one of the kitchen tables and it was a pleasure. To see the chefs at work
Creative food at its best- with some molekular undertones
Had the four course tasting menu with wine pairing but managed to sneak one request in
Amuse Bouche was a passion fruit sphere with a citrusy dressing
Then a wonderfully light preparation of local crab- tasted like the sea, uncomplicated as all other dishes presented stunningly on beautiful crockery 8/10
Second was our wish- the cold octopus starter with campari salt , fennel etc- this octopus was gorgeous soft, clean fresh such a creative variation e both love octopus so a real great new take one of our favourites 10/10
Main course was a beautiful pie of sashimi grade tuna- Cooked to perfection with an Asian inspired ponzu dressing one of the best pieces of tuna i have ever eaten 10/10
Dessert was a surprise often one one man kitchens the dessert is a weaker spot however not here- Caramlised white chocolatier home made ice cream, poached clementines - again creativity, presentation and taste - full marks here 10/10
A word about the good value wine pairing - i do recommend this they were all extremely well matched with the food and interesting choices pushing the boundaries for the traditionally conservative British clientele re wines the Pinot noir was made for the tuna and the Gewürz and dessert equally well matched
In between it was. A pleasure to see te chef cooking and even teaching (a partnership with a local catering college is great to see) and even finding the time to bring our mains over himself and chatting a little
Thank. You for a memorable evening which we look forward to repeat

1  Thank cramorra
Reviewed 28 May 2018 via mobile

We'd booked for lunch during a stay in Milford on Sea. It turned out to be the week of the Beast from the East. Very cold outside. In fact we were worried about the weather and moved our booking a day early.

We both opted for the tasting menu. Excellent.

We visited a year ago and said we'd come back. I always worry whether a second visit will be as good. It was.

As I'm not good with steps due to a disability so we had a table at the level with the kitchen. Itbis lovely to ralj to the chefs. So friendly. The waitress was very friendly too.

3  Thank BennyDiction
Reviewed 23 May 2018 via mobile

M friend was over from Australia and I wanted to treat her to a meal out and we were not disappointed! We opted for the 4 course blind tasting menu with wine and we are so glad we did! Stunning local lobster with Serrano ham, white chocolate and passion fruit such a delight and something I would never of thought to put together but it worked so well! Stunning scallops with a beautiful savoury porridge were a real highlight as was the tuna main cooked to perfection with a Japanese style sauce amazing! The desert was delicious rhubarb one of my favourites, white chocolate and citrus it was all just such a treat. The wines worked brilliantly with our food and it was great way to try new wines that neither of us would of usually gone for. The staff were very friendly and knowledgeable and the atmosphere is relaxed. They also helped us get a taxi at the end of the evening which was very kind. Such delicious food this will be my new go to place to eat from now on!

1  Thank helen_9819
Reviewed 22 May 2018

We went here for our wedding anniversary looking forward to great seafood having read all the good reviews, what a disappointment it turned out to be! We opted for the 6 course tasting menu, at £65 per head what a waste of money! The first course was smoked eels mouse, which came out under a glass dome encasing the smoke, it was bland with very little taste of anything, 2nd course was a few prawns chopped up with garnish and tasteless dressing, followed by scallops not particularly well cooked with a ulava bread sauce, edible at best, next John Dory which was over cooked, dry and salty, such a shame as this is one of my favourite fish to eat. I must say the ice cream and sherbet was nice, but we went for fish not sherbet! Final course was also pretty nondescript. Save £30 per head and go to La Perle just up the street, great service, great food, excellent value, unlike Verveine over priced tasteless food!

1  Thank Qwertyuiiopdgioo
David W, Owner at Verveine Fishmarket Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 24 May 2018

Thank you for the above review. Clearly our restaurant was not to your taste as you state above. Being familiar with Trip Advisor I would of thought you may have had more of an idea of what our style of cooking is before you booked. You say that the food was badly cooked? We are incredibly fortunate that so many of our guests leave such wonderful reviews of how much they enjoyed their experience with us. What a shame it was that you were not able to articulate your views when you were dining with us last Saturday night when, you were table checked 6 times throughout your meal by my staff. Instead you chose to say nothing and take to another restaurants Trip Advisor review to inform me that I need to take cooking lessons from them and I think that reflects much more on you than a one out of five review does on us!