“Nice old friendly Youngs' pub in village setting”
Review of The Dolphin Inn

The Dolphin Inn
Ranked #2 of 6 Restaurants in Betchworth
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Reservations
Description: A traditional country pub serving traditional British food. We use only seasonal, fresh ingredients. We have real ales, real inglenook fireplaces and we are dog friendly. So friendly, the dogs get a treat and a blanket! We are in a stunning location in Surrey opposite St Michael's church which had a starring role in hit film, four weddings & a funeral! We are definitely worth a visit! If you have visited us and loved it, please leave a great review! If something went a bit wrong, please talk to us!
Reviewed 21 September 2021

Picturesque rambling old pub pleasantly furnished and comfortable restaurant. The back garden area looked especially pleasant and music was playing despite the fact of being empty on a cool autumnal evening...or it could I suppose have been the chef's radio turned up in the kitchen. I noted "Shere Drop" a localish brew as one of the real ales, an improvement over the old days when it would have been Youngs, Youngs or Youngs, Good range of drinks especially wines by the glass. As I had been brave enough to travel north to meet colleagues in affluent Surrey I was not surprised by the drinks prices although the food prices represented overall fair value. Not too many choices on the menu as is generally par for the course at present and sod's law the one dish I especially fancied fresh hake was the only one "off". The alternative cod in batter was okay, fish fresh but I never quite understand why we need to cover so many things in thick batter. One colleague gave almost a rave review as to the shepherd's pie which did look good. Reasonable choice of desserts. Pleasant young staff, I thought the service slow considering not busy but at least it did give us a chance to have a good catch up between courses. Anxious to return home to deepest West Sussex to avoid complaint as to lateness from Mrs barryk I requested the bill but then realised that it was not one of our servers but fortunately it turned out to benot a customer but most personable manager lady just passing through on her evening off so I was spared embarrassment.

Date of visit: September 2021
Anna B, General Manager at The Dolphin Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 21 September 2021

Hi,

Thank you for your lovely comments.

That wasn’t the chefs radio! But we do have speakers throughout the pub and garden.

We are glad you enjoyed yourselves after a neighbouring pub cancelled your reservation.

I’ll share your feedback with the team and hope to see you again soon.

Best wishes
Anna and the team

Write a reviewReviews (596)

Reviewed 12 September 2021 via mobile

Super friendly professional staff and great tasting food. Props to the kitchen and front of house staff. We will definitely come back and could easily see ourselves becoming regulars.

Date of visit: September 2021
Anna B, General Manager at The Dolphin Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 12 September 2021

Hi,

Awww thanks so much! I’ll share this with the team. They are a real credit to us and we wouldn’t the Dolphins without them!

Thanks so much
Best wishes
Anna and the team

Reviewed 10 September 2021

I really need to first address the negative comments that have been posted regarding the food. I do believe that some people are blissfully unaware or maybe disillusioned due to the last 18 months of how Covid has ravaged the catering and hospitality industry. I really think people need to be a bit more understanding and tolerant to the amazing staff in ALL bars and restaurants who turn up day after day to serve in quite challenging situations.
Anyway on to my revue! We were lucky enough to hold our wedding reception here last Saturday and also have our pre wedding meal with 10 of our guests ranging from 10 years old to 82….(the 82 year old being my very picky mom). I can say hand on heart that everyone was so overwhelmed with the food and service. On to the wedding day and all our guests were blown away with the location, hospitality and quality and quantity of the food.
I have nothing but praise for Anna and her amazing team who have had to deal with the whole Covid situation. Thankyou once again!!

Date of visit: September 2021
Anna B, General Manager at The Dolphin Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 10 September 2021

Hi,

Thank you so much! People like you, make the job so worthwhile.

We were so honoured to host your wedding here. You are a wonderful couple and we look forward to seeing you when you’re back from honeymoon!

Thanks so much,
Anna and the team xx

Reviewed 8 September 2021 via mobile

Felt so sorry for Tristram having to front the awful management at the Dolphin!

Arrived to be told that no fish left on the menu at 1.00 lunchtime! I could forgive a one off but that was the second time in 4 weeks.

Even worse because the menu is already woefully small.

Unless the Dolphiin confirm an improvement I will not be returning!

Date of visit: September 2021
Anna B, General Manager at The Dolphin Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 8 September 2021

Hi,

Thanks for your review. Although very unfair.

I, the manager am off this week on annual leave. I have a deputy manager Lauren who was on shift yesterday with Tristan and Emillie. All very capable members of the team.

Having spoken to them, they said it got very busy (with the nice weather). However, no busier than we experience any time the sunshine’s.

As is very well documented in the press, our industry is struggling a lot with supply chain issues. Unfortunately this is beyond our control. We get daily deliveries as all our food is fresh. On a number of occasions over the last few weeks (in fact probably longer) we haven’t been receiving our fresh fish until late in the afternoon (sometimes evening). Our chefs plan as best they can, but if a delivery fails, there isn’t much we can do except adapt the menus as best we can. We could I suppose nip to Tesco and buy frozen fish, but that goes against what we believe in and is an absolute rip off for our customers.

I have proudly run the dolphin for 6 years and thank our loyal customers that have stood by us throughout the horrendous time we have all experienced in hospitality. It’s incredibly tough right now BUT, we do our best to adapt to the ever changing circumstances.

Sorry to hear you will not be returning.

Regards
Anna

Reviewed 5 September 2021

Great food (chicken burger in particular), friendly accommodating staff, great atmosphere, beautiful new art design in the garden. What’s not to like!

This will always be my “go to” pub. If you want a true English pub experience - this is it.

The ale is great too. Highly recommend the local Surrey ale.

Date of visit: August 2021
Anna B, General Manager at The Dolphin Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 5 September 2021

Hi,

Thanks so much! I’ll share your feedback with the team.

See you again soon.