Hotels.com
Expedia
eDreams
ZenHotels.com
1,032 results
All reviews main hall hole golf course mews room drawing room hot tub steam room wedding party raby hunt lovely surroundings junior suite bed and breakfast cooked breakfast a lovely stay lovely room barnard castle short break member of staff
Selected filters
Reviewed 6 March 2007

Have just returned from a one night DBB stay booked direct with the hotel. Got a very good deal including an upgrade to a deluxe room.
Our room was ready when we checked in, and we were lead upstairs in the main house to the 'Green' room. It was a large room with four poster bed, lovely old / antique furniture, huge window with a lovely view and a brand new carpet. The bathroom was more modern.
We quickly unpacked and made our way to the spa. It is probably the nicest looking spa I have been to, and this is probably due to the fact that it is brand new. We made full use of the outdoor hot tub, with the volcano setting, pool and steam room. I even managed to grab a cancellation for a massage, which was fantastic.

We relaxed for a couple of hours in our room, then made our way down for dinner. We had a pre dinner drink and browsed through the menu in the lounge infront of a huge fire. The food was very, very good, including the complimentary broccoli and toasted almond soup. The menu detailed where the food came from, and it was nice to see it was all local produce.

Once back in our room we could hear a little noise from downstairs, but not enough to keep us awake.

Breakfast was served in the conservatory, self service continental followed by a served cooked breakfast. The cooked breakfast wasn't huge, but adequate.

All of the staff we came across were very polite and friendly, it was nice to have a chat with them, and when I commented on how good dinner had been they promised to pass our compliments on to the chef.
In summary the hotel is very nice, however looking around the hotel and grounds I would not like to stay anywhere apart from the main house or the new spa rooms. The hotel was pretty quiet due to the time of year, but I don't think I would like to be there if there was a wedding, as I think you would feel a bit of a gatecrasher.
I would definitely return, if only for the spa and the food.

Date of stay: March 2007
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
9  Thank RuthH
Reviewed 28 February 2007

We stayed at Headlam Hall for a relatives birthday party. We were 4 families staying overnight and having a private dining room for the birthday dinner. Firstly I must say that I don't think I have ever met more accommodating, friendly and pleasant hotel staff, from the moment we checked in until the second we left they were wonderful with us, we felt as if we were the only guests that had to look after that weekend.

Our private dining room was wonderful, a little conservatory decorated with fairy lights, huge candles and flowers. The food was outstanding, they should pay their Head Chef a million pounds a year!!! we have rarely eaten such delicious food in a hotel restaurant, from the complimentary clam chowder to begin right through to the desserts and cheeses (we also received complimentary fruit sorbets, fabulous!) every bite was foodie heaven, thoroughly recommend people to dine at this establishment.

The hotel has recently been refurbished in part, sporting a beautiful indoor swimming pool and spa, and a very pleasant brasserie, which serves delicious sandwiches at lunchtime. The golf course and driving range are very good and they have wonderful gardens.

Sadly they let us down with our room, we were in a little row of cottages beside the main hotel, called 'The Mews'. I wouldn't like to say if the room had ever seen a lick of polish, but I somehow doubt it, it was filthy, Black dusty cobwebs hung from the wall lights, walls and behind the bathroom door. I ran my finger round the bedside light and gathered a dirty ball of dust that I could have had a game of golf with!, the dressing table mirror had had a dirty film on it and every chair leg, table rail etc.. was thick of dirt. The carpet was very dirty and I dearly wished I had my slippers with me! the bathroom floor wasn't much better and the soap dish had pubic hairs in it. The room was a non smoking room and smelled of stale cigarette smoke. Thankfully the bed linen was very clean, as were the towels, and the bed was very comfortable, however we did not have any robes or slippers that other guests seemed to have been supplied with.

The main part of the hotel seemed very clean and well maintained, so not really sure whats going wrong with the rooms. Aside from this, the wonderful staff and incredible food made most of the stay lovely, I would stay here again, but when not a guest of a relative I would not hesitate to demand a new room if it was anything like this one!.

• Trip type: Travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
5  Thank Scarrlett
TGJR, Director/owner at Headlam Hall Country Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 19 April 2007

The guests left a comment card upon departure regarding the housekeeping of the bedroom so it was personally inspected by myself that day. Where as the standard of dusting was not up to our usual levels and there were some cobwebs on light fittings, I can not understand where the comments about the carpet has come from. The carpets in these rooms are good quality and relatively new and vaccummed daily. The bathroom floor tiles are a distressed riven design which is why I assume the guest mistakenly thought they were not clean. Cleanliness is a high priority of ours and the Mews rooms are very popular with our guests.

Reviewed 20 February 2007

Myself and my partner spent the night here recently and enjoyed it very much. The staff were pleasant and helpful, the food was delicious and the spa facilities were very good. One complaint - we booked into a double room, but the bed was actually two singles that had been put together; not the greatest way to spend the night on a romantic break. I would probably go again, but I would have to make sure that I was actually getting a proper double bed when asking for a double room.

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4  Thank electricia68
Reviewed 12 February 2007

We celebrated our Wedding Anniversary and Valentines at Headlam Hall following recommendation from a friend. It was the perfect choice for the occassion.

The staff were lovely, most friendly and helpful.

The food was faultless, as were the restaurant staff.

We had a room in the old Jacobean House, it was very much in keeping with it's surroundings, lots of antiques and a four poster bed. The room was clean and the bathroon huge.

The old Jacobean House had lots of interesting features, the main focal point being a huge fire-place in the main lounge area.
We chose to relax next to the lovely warm fire as it was sub-zero temperatures outside. There was a wedding taking place and the wedding co-ordinator asked us and another couple if would mind moving away from the fire as the bride and groom would like a photo next to it. We happily obliged, it was their special day afterall. Imagine our horror when the whole wedding party descended upon the room and happily settled themselves into the cosy, warm seats we had just vacated next to the fire! There was no officlal photo at all, it was a ploy to get us to move so the wedding party could enjoy the best seats in the house! We ended up sat in freezing cold seats, feeling like a couple of gatecrashers! This was the only disapointment, everything else about our stay was faultless.

The newly built spa is wonderful, all very modern. The outdoor hot tub was being well used even though it had been snowing the previous day and it was absolutley freezing! The brasserie was very pleasant, we had a nice lunch there with a couple of drinks, served by friendly staff.

Although we had a lovely relaxing time, we feel we did not see everything at it's best. The gardens were closed due to the bad weather. We want to return in the summer and take advantage of all Headlam Hall has to offer, it will be lovely to see the gardens and take advantage of the outdoor areas.

Overall a fantastic place to unwind and realx, we will defintley be returning.

5  Thank Sandancer01
Reviewed 20 November 2006

This is simply the best hotel I have ever stayed in, and I have travelled extensively in the UK and abroad at a premium level. I regularly vivit this hotel for meetings conferences etc apart from leisure breaks, and the standards are consistent throughout the year

The ambience is perfect, the food simply faultless, and the sevice is beyond reproach. The staff manage succesfully to offer friendly service at all times, without ever seeming obsequious.

The rooms are beautifully furnished and maintained, and there is a genuine country house feel to the whole experience.

Just don't go there too often or I'll never be able to book in ....

Date of stay: December 2005