“Good pub but maybe too busy for its own good”

The White Horse Smokehouse & Grill
Ranked #4 of 18 Restaurants in Steyning
Price range: US$10 - US$30
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Nestled in the lush, green South Downs, close to the busier towns of Brighton and Hove is The White Horse Smokehouse & Grill in Steyning - a picturesque grammar school town and one time home to Laurence Olivier. Decorated in a contemporary classic style and boasting a large verandah covered with huge parasols on which to enjoy views of the countryside as you dine, The White Horse is welcoming and unpretentious, with excellent, friendly service. The restaurants varied menu combines creativity with more traditional comfort style food using top quality local ingredients for a real flavour of your surroundings.
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Friendly staff, good beer and wine selection. Food a bit staid but well presented. Can get very busy with kids, builders and youngsters - all okay but the noise levels go through the roof and service falls off of a cliff.
You can eat 90% of the restaurant menu in the bar area.
Restaurant usually half empty but not enough staff to cope with any extra diners.
Mens loos need a refurb.

3  Thank Clifford L
WhiteHorseSmokehouse, Owner at The White Horse Smokehouse & Grill, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

Clifford - very many thanks for your comments, we really do appreciate all feedback from our clients who visit us at The White Horse in Steyning.

I would totally agree that we have been very busy with families over the recent bank holiday and the current half term school break, so apologies if the bar was a bit noisy. We are very happy that our clientele is so diverse, and that all age groups are keen to come and eat/drink with us here :)

I will pass on your comments to our maintenance team regarding the bathroom. We very much look forward to you joining us again in the very near future and, once again, many thanks for your time spent on this review.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Friendly and efficient young staff behind bar and serving tables. The Express Lunch menu is excellent value at £8 - with several options to choose from. Everything fresh, tasty, hot and well presented - and speedy service. Although food arrived quickly I did not feel rushed-on, and I enjoyed a fab gin in the bar. Staff were helpful, good humoured, knew what thet were selling, gave ideas for drinks to try,

1  Thank MeltingSpell
WhiteHorseSmokehouse, Owner at The White Horse Smokehouse & Grill, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Thank you so very much for writing such a good review for The White Horse in Steyning, we really do appreciate it.

The Express Lunch menu has been extremely popular since it's introduction last year, I am very glad to see that it is still being appreciated :) Our staff are, indeed, very knowledgeable about our drinks selection, so I am delighted to read that they did not disappoint you.

Once again, very many thanks for taking the time to write this review, we look forward to welcoming you here again in the near future.

Reviewed 7 May 2018

A great evening spent in the restaurant on Saturday ! The bar was buzzing with atmosphere and everywhere was busy but service was very good. The sharing platter to start was excellent and the cod for main was brilliant. Always guarantee a good steak. With fab chips! It's great to see a local pub working so hard to maintain good food, service and atmosphere, it's just what we need in Steyning .
Sarah Simon and Jack

1  Thank safarikenya123
WhiteHorseSmokehouse, Owner at The White Horse Smokehouse & Grill, responded to this reviewResponded 8 May 2018

Sarah, Simon and Jack - I cannot thank you enough for finding the time to write such a great review for The White Horse in Steyning, we truly do appreciate your time spent on it.

I am delighted that you felt we managed to consistenty offer our normal high standard of service on what was, indeeed, an extremely obusy few days :) We always get great feedback on our tasty steaks, so I will pass on your lovely comments on pur food to the team.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the very near future. Once again, many thanks for your time spent on this.

Reviewed 6 May 2018 via mobile

I had previously left a fairly positive review of this pub, having had lunch here a while back and enjoyed it.

However, the bar staff really let themselves down this time. I was left standing at the (not particularly busy) bar, leapfrogged by locals several times, basically made to feel invisible. This was not acknowledged when I finally did get served. Well I say I got served, actually my partner intervened and got the bar staff’s attention. A simple ‘thank you for waiting’ would have been sufficient but that opportunity was missed.

I appreciate it was a bank holiday and the staff had probably put in a long and busy shift but a training refresh and/or more staff behind the bar when needed would be a good idea here.

As it stands, I wouldn’t bother coming back because I wasn’t made to feel welcome. Basic customer service missing.

2  Thank Paul B

I am extremely sorry that you felt The White Horse was too busy on your recent visit, I have to agree that the gorgeous weather did make us full to overflowing !

Please let me know personally if you choose to come back to eat with us again, I assure you that your waiting time will be managed differently.

Very many thanks for your time spent on this, we do appreciate it.

Reviewed 17 April 2018 via mobile

After our daughter’s wedding the previous day we arranged a lunch for a large group of family and friends to meet up again for lunch before all going our separate ways. Stephanie could not have been more obliging in helping with the arrangements.

We had the choice of a varied menu and we all had our freshly cooked meals served within a matter of minutes so we were all eating at the same time. Great portion sizes but every plate empty at the end of each course due to the food being so delicious.

Thank you for bringing to an end a wonderful weekend in such a fantastic way.

1  Thank Elizabeth S
WhiteHorseSmokehouse, Owner at The White Horse Smokehouse & Grill, responded to this reviewResponded 17 April 2018

Elizabeth - thank you so very much for writing such a great review of The White Horse in Steyning. It was a total pleasure to look after you all, Steph thoroughly enjoyed it :)

We are delighted that everything went well and to plan with the wedding, and we were horoured to be able to be part of the 'party' on the final day.

We look forward to welcoming all of you back to eat with us again in the very near future. Once again, many thanks for your time spent on this review.