All reviews santa cristina horse riding my daughter during our stay table tennis made us feel wine tasting the cottages couple of days castle grounds thermal spa last week beautiful surroundings my opinion short drive food was great wonderful place
Reviewed 9 May 2016

Last week we returned from a 5-day family vacation in Tuscany-Italy. Luckily we had decided to stay in ‘Castello di Santa Cristina’ which we found after a research in the internet, since we wanted to combine our stay with horse riding for our youngest daughter. The place reminded us of a fairy tale…. and actually was exactly what we had dreamed of Tuscany to be like. So this place had an amazing historic tower / castle, an astonishing cottage with beautiful cozy apartments, amazing green fields as far as our eyes could see, family oriented atmosphere, warm and friendly staff and most important an amazing safely organized horse riding club. It gained my trust so much that I had no worries or concerns leaving my daughter for a full day horse riding experience in the fields by the lake. Breakfast had the quality you expected to find in a country side place like fresh eggs, bread, marmalades, hot croissants, etc. We totally enjoyed dinner at the cozy restaurant with fire place, at the basement of the cottage, comprising of ricotta cheese made the same day, home-made lasagna, organic potatoes from the fields in the castle area, aromatic wine etc. We are all looking forward to visiting again ‘Castello di Santa Cristina’ for relaxing, restful and tranquil vacation…….

Date of stay: April 2016
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank george m
Reviewed 19 October 2015 via mobile

We arrived here after booking with far and ride. The castle room was organised for us as a special treat. The horses are very well cared for. The surrounding area beautiful, if you go book the full day ride with a visit to the lake, there are two lakes you can go too, both are apparently great days out. We did the half day rides that start quite late around 4pm if you get an afternoon slot. The staff treat you like family so you feel very welcome. Tryfan is extremely organised and valentina and Antonio great guides

Date of stay: October 2015
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 September 2015

Spent a full week riding at this lovely place somewhere in nowhere in Tuscany. The Castle/hotell lies quite a distance from any major city and the mobile coverage is poor, only one landline to the reception. But we loved to stay at a place where no one could reach us. Our trail was the 'Medieval Castle Trail' where we stayed the three first and last night at the hotel/Castle. The horses are very good and easy to handle in the terrain. The saddles are english type, very light and comfortable. Accomodation is one of the best I have ever had, we stayed in the cottage near the small pool. Large bedroom with a big bed with firm mattress and a spacious bathroom. The waterpressure is not good enough to let all four showers at the cottage have stable hot water at the same time, make an aggreement among the users, who startes first and last. If you like to stay at a VERY quiet place, this is it!

The breakfast may be a bit tiny compared to breakfasts in Norway. But you will survive. Make sure you get a tour of the Castle, is has a lot of history. Great thanks to owner Antonio and his daughter Valentina, wonderful guide Kylie and Trifon for taking well care of us and making this trail something to remember for life. We were very sorry to leave and one day we will return!!

On behalf of the norwegian riders, Tom.

Room tip: Ask for room at the cottage near the small pool. There are also rooms at the main building but we never had a look at them.
Date of stay: September 2015
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
2  Thank Tom Ø
Reviewed 22 September 2015

I couldn't recommend il Castello enough. I was a little nervous about heading away on my own to a place I'd not been to before but I needn't have worried. The accommodation was superb - I was lucky enough to have an apartment to myself with a cute kitchen which would have been grand if I had had the energy to cook, a massive bedroom with ensuite and lovely lounge area. I was welcomed by Tryfon, the office manager who was incredibly helpful with ideas of what places to visit when I wasn't riding. He had organised a perfect schedule of rides with enough time to visit a winery (highly! recommended) and a hot water spa and even a massage onsite at the castle.

The rides were amazing and Kylie (a kiwi - of course!) was exceptional. Her calm, confident manner put everyone at ease. Her horsemanship (or woman) skills are exceptional.

I was fortunate enough to be able to have lessons with both Kylie and Valentina and for a rider of my experience, found the lessons great fun and challenging.

The food was wonderful and although it would also be possible to have a self catering or bnb holiday there, for my situation eating in was perfect. Especially after riding during the day - it was great to be able to totally relax and fall into the dining room and eat and drink so well. The food is so fresh and most (if not all) is grown at the castle grounds.

I was even fortunate enough to be included in a dinner out with a real live Count! :-) Thank you so much Antonio for being such a wonderful host.

I would definitely look at coming here again and was incredibly reluctant to leave.

Grazie mille e a presto!

Room tip: Not sure there are any 'bad' rooms. Specify self catering if wishing to cook yourself!
Date of stay: September 2015
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
Reviewed 1 September 2015

Mrs Cristina is very welcoming and her castle is beautiful. The area is not a very touristy area of Italy but she managed to develop activities with horses and bicycle riding for groups and families that has a good dynamic. The little apartments are cosy and beds are very good. Breakfast was okay, dinner was average but we only had one (fixed) dinner so i guess we cannot judge properly.

Date of stay: August 2015