1,397 results
All reviews executive room beautiful location ptarmigan restaurant sauna and steam room bar meals leisure facilities rannoch station lovely hotel separate building log fire both nights public areas lounge bar bit dated main restaurant hotel is situated scallops
Reviewed 26 June 2018

Stayed at this hotel as a two night bed and breakfast and a cream tea deal booked via another site. Read up on some reviews prior to attending and after seeing some recent negative comments was a bit apprehensive. That said I travelled with open mind and was pleasantly surprised. Location location location. Check in was quick and the staff were very friendly. We were allocated a first floor room to the front of the hotel with spectacular views over the loch and schehallion. It is fair to say the hotel has stacks of 'character' with some uneven and creaking floorboards, old fashioned bedroom furniture and tiling etc, but nothing you would not expect to exist in an older building situated in the southern highlands. If your accustomed to glass fronted and highly polished chrome surroundings with modular bedrooms and Ikea furniture then I would say this hotel would not be to your liking however the style and layout is typical of buildings built during a different age and if you are prepared to accept it for what it is, you should not be disappointed. Breakfast was a buffet style starter ( cereal etc) with the choice of the main part being individually cooked, which made a difference to normal buffets where the fried eggs etc have been lying under heat lamps for ages. We found all the staff we had dealings with very friendly with a special mention to Willie Morgan. As it is a bit remote you are a bit tied to eating in the hotel however if you like a bit of adventure, try taking the single track schehallion road to Kenmore, and after negotiating the wild life (deer, hares, sheep and the occasional range rover) during the blind bends and summits, try the Waterfront restaurant in Kenmore where they have an accoustic singer, Robert Carmichael on a Thursday night- worth the 30min drive). All in all we had a pleasent stay and would go back again.

Reviewed 26 June 2018 via mobile

Very good hotel on the lake, good rooms and very good breakfast
There is two dining rooms, one is more expensive, keep an eye on this if you are a big group which was our case
It has a heated pool where ch was great for the children

Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 24 June 2018

Well my husband and I booked her for two nights.

First if you depend on Sat Nav do not take the first exist across country.

Head up take the exit at The House of Bruar !!!!

The Hotel :

I think it's fair to say it's not as bad as previous people have indicated. I found the outside ok.
It is a old hotel that looks as if it has been great in its Hayday,

Food :

In our opinion they need to up their game the food is over priced due to nothing within miles, but it's all frozen and rake brothers ( disappointing)
£4.50 for a bud in the shop in town £1.70 bottle lol.£2.70 Coke.
We do not mind paying for good food but the menu choice was awful. They would probably do better if the had different offering in the bar menu.

Bar Staff

Well I can say that the bar staff we met were first class and very friendly so I don't agree.

Food and Bev Manager and Breakfast Staff

The food and beverage manager was to busy being important that he was not controlling his team, they appeared to be running about like headless chickens and messed up breakfast big time.

The breakfast spread was very good but that's were it ended. The food and beverage manager took out breakfast order then he never finished our order resulting in our food getting offered to other we tried to bring it to those attention and we encountered the rudest member of staff ( the serving waiter red hair and beard very unprofessional and rude needs retraining ( spirit of service). We got non.

We took our bags out early to avoid the need to do loads of trips to the car the Food and Beverage Manager said " is that you taking the towels ou" I informed him they were not worth taking.

I travel on business staying in 4* + hotels the attitude of the staff is sadly lacking and I would not return to this hotel neither would I recommend it.

Very poor impression was given to us.

But I feel in fairness the receptionist on our checking in and the chap Vicktor on our checking out are a credit to the company but that and the lovely young chap in the bar with the black hair are the only staff who I can give credit to. And deserve a comment.

Room tip: Very old fashioned 1980 style
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
3  Thank chinchalk
Reviewed 19 June 2018

We stayed here in February and had a nice but very dated room overlooking the loch. This time round we were in room 17. This room overlooks a very overgrown unkempt embankment which, quite frankly, is a disgrace. The staff do their best but this hotel is very much resting on their stunning location. The bathroom was of a very poor standard. The taps didn't work properly and the tiling was in a right state. It's a real shame as this place could be wonderful if some money was spent on it. We got a good deal on itison so on that basis decided we couldn't be bothered with the hassle of complaining but my advice is if you are offered a key to room 17 say NO!

Trip type: Travelled as a couple
2  Thank kimandmarc
Reviewed 12 June 2018 via mobile

Should have been a stress free weekend but was anything but given wrong room to start with and after an hour we had to go back to reception to get things sorted out should have had cream tea on arrival but chap on reception did not know anything I think some of the staff need more training otherwise not too bad except the rip in the carpet in the room which someone could easily have tripped on

Trip type: Travelled with family