El Sabanero Eco Lodge
  • Pool
Cabinas Las Olas(Playa Avellanas)
TripAdvisor
Hotel Mauna Loa(Playa Avellanas)
ChanteMar(Playa Avellanas)
Vida Verde(Playa Avellanas)
TripAdvisor
Las Avellanas Villas(Playa Avellanas)
TripAdvisor
All reviewsyoga retreatyoga trainingcosta ricavisited elhowler monkeysamazing chefmorning and eveningnice amenitieshome away from homeother guestsbring earplugszip lininghot watercome homedry seasonbeach towelshorseback riding
Reviewed 13 November 2016

Where do I start? From Donald + Hazel's amazing, delicious, and fresh food every lunch and dinner to Amit's perfectly crafted yoga classes to the most welcoming (and funny!) Kurt and Harold, this place is truly a slice of heaven. If you're looking to rest and recharge, this is the place. Everyone is so accommodating and willing to help you with whatever you may need!

Thank you, El Sabanero, for making my first retreat hosting experience the perfect one! I feel so blessed to know you all!

• Stayed: November 2016, travelled on business
1  Thank cschweet
Harold S, Manager at El Sabanero Eco Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 14 December 2016

Thank you very much I hope we see each other again.
Harold

Reviewed 31 August 2016

***REVIEW ABOUT A TRIP TRIBE YOGA RETREAT TRIP TO EL SABANERO***

WOW. Just WOW. Considering that A. this was my first yoga retreat and B. this was my first time traveling with Trip Tribe, I am entirely blown away and slightly addicted! I traveled with my boyfriend, who is NOT a yogi (bu really enjoyed the trip!!). We loved meeting new people and exploring with such a fun group of singles, friends, other couples and fellow travelers:

Details:

First of all, the coordination of flights and transportation was perfect. Everything went smoothly. Trip Tribe communicated everything we needed to know well ahead of our departure and Amy, the trip ambassador, supplemented with additional information as needed.

Once we arrived at our destination, I was pleased to see that our accommodations at El Sabanero were humble, yet comfortable and adequate (think: clean but simple), and that there were common comforts like hot water (with some patience), safes and wifi (slowish wifi). They even provided a few shampoos, bars of soap and beach towels, which was unexpected. The natural surroundings of El Sabanero were beautiful and it was such a treat to stay in such a lovely natural environment.

The general atmosphere at El Sabanero was amazing. The pool was lovely to swim in after our sweaty yoga sessions. The large meeting/eating space was tranquil and lovely. And the yoga spaces where we practiced were calm and peaceful. And the staff from all different parts of our trip -- from Harold to Hazel to Ana to Fernando to Donald, etc. -- were amazing, kind and welcoming. They made it really feel like home!

The food at El Sabanero was AMAZING. A-MA-ZING. The kitchen staff really knows what they are doing and totally spoiled us with fresh bread, homemade gourmet meals and amazing dishes all week long. Even some of the packed lunches (for when we weren't there during lunch) were good! A HUGE thumbs up and major reason why you should stay at El Sabanero! Also, it doesn't hurt that beer/wine/cocktails are crazy affordable and also delicious!

As for the yoga, Amy did her usual amazing thing. I've taken several classes of hers in DC, so I wasn't surprised to find that she taught similar wonderful classes in Costa Rica. Newbie or advanced, this girl's classes are a MUST-do! I particularly loved her Fusion Flow Yoga class (think martial arts meets HIIT meets yoga) and the nightly Nidra/Restorative classes. Major thumbs up for the quality of the classes, variety of classes and expertise of our instructor and trip ambassador!

Additionally, I went to several beach visits during my trip with the group, and loved them both! I event tried my hand at surfing which was a total blast. I would also recommend getting a massage from Ana, going on the adventure tour and heading on the Catamaran Sunset sail (erm, skip that if you are seasick!).

All in all, this was an amazing trip. Kudos!

• Stayed: August 2016, travelled with friends
4  Thank sandilia
Reviewed 25 July 2016

A week in paradise. Truly the most tranquil, welcoming and rejuvenating environments I've ever experienced. The owners, Amit, Tasha and Kurt, couldn't be more gracious and are always available and eager to help accommodate any needs you have.
The lodge itself is absolutely breathtaking, with a beautiful view of the Guanacaste mountains from the pool and deck, and two yoga studios, both semi-outdoors to remind you that you're not just practicing in a studio, you're practicing in Costa Rica. There are myriad opportunities to venture out of the lodge, which the staff will help your coordinate. Our group spent time in Tamarindo as well as zip lining and horseback riding through Guanacaste.
And to save the best for last, the cuisine at El Sabanero is the most mouth-wateringly delicious food I've ever had. Each meal was better than the last, from butternut squash and ginger soup to fish and yucca fajitas, every bite was absolute perfection.
if you're looking for a peaceful, charming retreat center with delectable dishes, look no further than the El Sabanero lodge.

• Stayed: July 2016, travelled with friends
1  Thank Katelyn M
Reviewed 17 May 2016

Very nice place .... only dinner are served ... but good food !

Delicious breakfast !

The owner Kurt and his brother Harold are very nice people, and know a lot of things about the area around ...

German, Spanish ( of course ), English spoken ...

Room Tip: They are all good ...
  • Stayed: April 2016, travelled with family
1  Thank AYMERIC_14
Reviewed 9 May 2016

El Sabanero. Not just an ole Eco Lodge. Now re-shaping itself as a major Yoga training and certification destination just outside of Tamarindo and Playa Allvenas. It's my 4th year coming here....and for good reason. It now feels like home....but with a much better view and climate. The owner Kurt Reichenbacher has cultivated an easy going, relaxed, yet effieciently run mini paradise. Comfortable, cozy cabinas, a wonderful infinity pool with a stunning valley view, outstanding food. With the addition of Amit and Tasha as the head Yoga facilitators, El Sabanero is expanding and very quickly becoming a must be at destination when visiting the area. I look forward to coming back....perhaps sooner, rather than later, hanging out with Kurt, expanding my personal Yoga experiences, and thoroughly enjoying the massive mental, spiritual and emotional de-compression this place has to offer.

Room Tip: My fav cabina is #10, it's a bit more private.
  • Stayed: May 2016, travelled as a couple