All reviews yoga retreat visited el costa rica amazing chef howler monkeys morning and evening nice amenities home away from home other guests bring earplugs zip lining come home dry season beach towels horseback riding grounds are beautiful kurt
Reviewed 26 February 2016

This lodge is remarkable! I lived at El Sabanero Eco Lodge for a month while taking a Yoga Teacher Training. The rooms were comfortable and very clean. The rest of the property is amazing as well. They have two open spaces for yoga, both were wonderful. They have two pools, both were incredible. We ate three meals a day at El Sabanero, and each meal was such a highlight. The variety of food was amazing. The care and creativity they put into their meals was super impressive. I'm a runner, and there were plenty of dirt roads and sidewalks for morning runs. The lodge is also conveniently close to Tamarindo and Playa Avellanas. There were friendly cats, iguanas and dogs to keep you company. The property is well thought out, and I just can't recommend it enough! You will love it!

Stayed: November 2015
1  Thank kinesthetickevin
Reviewed 13 February 2016

My wife (49) and I (50) stayed here for 6 days at the beginning of February 2016. We had an excellent time, and would stay there again in a heart beat. Great place with great staff!! Looking forward to our next visit already!

RESORT: Grounds are clean, nice and rustic, with plenty of foliage. Walkways to the huts are well-lit and charming. Views are very nice
POOL: Clean, infinity-style with mini-spa pool as well. One downside is that there were a lot of bees at one end, but hopefully they killed that nest by now. Deck needs a little work.
ROOMS: Cozy & private with fridge and A/C (works well). Bed was comfortable enough, but pillows could use an upgrade. Shower takes a while to warm up, but sufficient. Shutters could use some screens to prevent a few bugs from sneaking in.
FOOD: Donald (and Hazel) can make a 5 star course out of any ingredients. We had tuna, chicken, spinach soup, chocolate cake. Was not expecting so delicious for Costa Rica. Breakfast is also delicious, plentiful and free. We had eggs, bacon, fruit, toast, coffee, smoothies and gallo pinto just about every morning.
BOOZE: Beer and wine were reasonable and cold. Bring your own liquor.
STAFF: Kurt (owner) was knowledgeable, courteous and helpful. Same for Donald/Hazel and the rest of the crew.
LOCATION: 15-20 minutes from beaches and grocery story.
ACTIVITIES: Yoga (mats available) instruction, Massage ($40/hr & Great!), other activities upon request.
WI-FI: Resort wide and free. A few hiccups because of a new router installation, but otherwise, fine! 2Mbps on average in the pool area.

Room Tip: Rent a car. Bring your own liquor (beer/wine are available).
  • Stayed: February 2016, travelled as a couple
2  Thank BillySev
Reviewed 10 February 2016

I brought a group of 20 or so people to El Sabanero Eco Lodge in November/December of 2015 for a yoga teacher training program. We were all absolutely delighted with the venue, it is stunningly beautiful with lovely chalets, a beautiful pool, a choice of yoga shalas, gorgeous views, great chefs and staff and is run by the very lovely Harold & Kurt who could not do enough for us. We were so well looked after and had such a fantastic time here I have rebooked for 3 more trainings. Highly recommended.

Stayed: November 2015
1  Thank Emma W
Reviewed 4 February 2016

I had a fantastic time staying at El Sabanero Eco Lodge. I did a yoga teacher training with about 20 people, and I stayed for one month. You can also stay here without a group, and enjoy the luxurious facilities, explore the beautiful area, and get to know the lovely staff on your own. The owners are so sweet and accommodating. One of them, Harold even drove me to the doctor and pharmacy one day. So kind!

The chef's, Donald and Hazel put so much love and care into the food they made for us every day and night. They were so sweet and made such an effort to be friendly, accommodating to our needs, personal, and warm. The food they make is incredibly delicious, fresh, AND healthy! Such a treat to eat such tasty-healthy food by such kind and warm people for an entire month. I felt so nourished.

The facilities are fantastically well-kept by 2 wonderful women who also made us breakfast every morning of fresh local fruit, eggs, rice and beans and delicious coffee.

There is a gorgeous infinity pool overlooking a stunning view, which you can swim in or lounge around all day long in that magnificent sun.

El Sabanero is a quick bus ride or car ride away from Tamarindo, where there is plenty of restaurants, shopping, and surfing, which I totally recommend! Our group took a surfing lesson and it was a blast!

I would absolutely recommend El Sabanero Eco Lodge to anyone who is traveling to this area. It is a beautiful, hidden gem, and it feels great to support such a wonderful community of people who work there.

<3 Natalie

Room Tip: All rooms are wonderful!
  • Stayed: November 2015, travelled with friends
Reviewed 19 January 2016 via mobile

My wife and I went there in order to go to the beach!, the food is awesome, the room was really nice. The location is great, near of the best beaches of Guanacaste and really quiet. The staff is really nice and very helpful.

Stayed: January 2016, travelled as a couple