“Fantastic with one bad apple”

Black Bull Hotel Restaurant
Ranked #5 of 11 Restaurants in Reeth
Reviewed 2 weeks ago

What an amazing pub!!!!!! The food my wife and I ate was incredible not what we expected from a little Yorkshire dales pub. It's clear to see that the new owners really care for the place and have obviously invested in a chef who knows what they are doing.

Our drinks were cool and refreshing the fires were roaring most of the staff we talked too were friendly and engaging however there was a bad apple of the bunch. The older lady with the short blonde hair made us feel very unwelcome she was more than just direct she was simply rude. We felt like we were an inconvenience to her and like we were in the way.

This being said the young gent on the bar that joined her was so nice to talk too he made a fuss of our dog and always made a point to talk to us as he passed.

Ignoring the small issue it's clearly 5 stars we will certainly be back with friends and family

-Terry

Date of visit: May 2021
Black Bull Hotel Reeth, Owner at Black Bull Hotel Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 2 weeks ago

Hello Terry

Thank you for your review.

We have discussed the incident you mention internally, however we have no recollection of any incident taking place.

I can assure you the whole team here are working very hard to ensure all our guests and visitors receive a warm welcome at all times, despite the increasing pressures we work under due to the ever changing COVID Safe rules. Any incident that may have occurred will have been a totally isolated incident and not typical of any of our excellent team here.

However thank you for the 5 star review and we will hopefully see you again soon

Regards
David

Write a reviewReviews (135)

Reviewed 6 May 2021 via mobile

We were staying in Reeth and stopped for lunch on a blustery day and headed to the beer garden at the back of the pub. The pub has made a real effort to be open despite the restrictions with covered tables and blankets for colder days.

The food was good pub food and very enjoyable. We were made to feel very welcome and everyone was brilliant with our little boy and our dog. The service and welcome alone meant we returned for drinks again. So nice to be out and about again and visit somewhere so friendly.

Date of visit: May 2021
Black Bull Hotel Reeth, Owner at Black Bull Hotel Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 7 May 2021

Hi

Thank you for the kind review.

It was great to meet you and young Toby is a star.

Take care guys and see you again soon we hope.

Regards
David & Helen

Reviewed 21 April 2021 via mobile

We came to The Black Bull as it was the only Pub open serving food in the area on a Monday. We were made to feel very welcome by the Manager and his team. The food was so good we returned the following night. We had fish and chips the first evening - freshly battered delicious fish, served with some of the best chips we’ve ever had. The meal the following evening (grilled gammon & a splendid ‘chicken parmo’ - highly recommended) was served with hand cut chunky chips - even more delicious than the previous night. We have eaten Heston Blumenthal’s triple cooked chips in his pub in Bray and these were definitely better.
The Manager & his family have been running the Hotel for just over a year (a lot of it closed due to Covid), we wish them all the best - keep up the good work!

Date of visit: April 2021
Black Bull Hotel Reeth, Owner at Black Bull Hotel Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 22 April 2021

Hi and thank you so very much for your comments, they are greatly appreciated and we have posted these on our Facebook page.

It was great to meet you both and get know a little about you, we hope you are able to enjoy a trip back out to Genoa very soon.

We will look forward to meeting your sister later this year, and hopefully you guys at some point again in the future.

Please take care and have a wonderful summer.

From all the Team here at the Black Bull , especially Kyle and Adam our 2 excellent chef's.

Reviewed 13 December 2020

AMAZING!!! As per usual

Fresh home cooked Sunday dinner, proper Yorkshire portions, fluffy roasties, juicy meat and a service above your average pub.

Both me and my wife had turkey today and we are booked back in for next week for more of the same. We were both shocked when our complimentary mince pies arrived at the table but happily scoffed them in no time at all.

Our all time favourite pub to go into after a long walk in the dale. It's cozy, friendly and reasonably priced.

Not to be missed!!

Covid guidelines strictly adhered to and enforced without feeling like a military boot camp.

Date of visit: December 2020
Helen W, Owner at Black Bull Hotel Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 14 December 2020

Hi Paul Thank you for such a lovely review, so glad you enjoyed your dinner and we look forward to seeing you again next week. I will make sure there are a couple of mince pies left for you.

Kind regards

Helen

Reviewed 13 December 2020 via mobile

Used to enjoy the carvery here (I know that’s not on anymore) but assumed the food would be as nice,firstly no menus or any indication of food available got two choices and mine,a turkey dinner was dire,I,six bullet sprouts between three,one of I couldn’t even cut,raw carrots,not sure if it was even turkey or not,three burnt to a crisp frozen roast potatoes,plastic mash and far to much gravy,luckily my significant other was paying this time otherwise I’d of complained more,another good establishment that I’ll never visit again oh and they let you have a drink without food

Date of visit: December 2020
Helen W, Owner at Black Bull Hotel Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 13 December 2020

Hi and sorry you did not get the carvery you really wanted but we are not allowed to run this due to the current restrictions I am sure you understand. Sadly this meant you were not happy from arrival and your manner made this very clear. We do not have a printed menu on Sunday as we only serve a roast dinner with a choice of 2 meats. Even the carvery you are so fond of didn't have a printed menu! I served you your meals and apart from the gravy issue which you did not make us aware of when you ordered your meals you did not raise any concerns. I did offer to re-plate your wifes dinner twice as she was the only one who said she wanted no gravy, she declined both times so there was nothing more I could have done there. The only part of your meal that was not homemade was the yorkshire pudding, The 6 sprouts were for the turkey dinner and the rest of the vegetables were to share as I explained when I brought them to your table. I asked during and after your meal if everything was ok and you all said it was. Your wife was also asked again when she came to pay and said all was good and as your plates were all empty I had no reason to think otherwise. You say we allow drinks with no food, this is against current tier 2 restrictions UNLESS you are only purchasing hot or soft drinks. The table you are referring to seated directly behind you had 3 coffees and a tea so did not need to purchase food. Of course you could have just asked us if you thought we were breaking the rules and we would have happily explained this to you.