“Really fun and informative”

Oishii Tokyo Food Tours
Ranked #2 of 23 Food & Drink in Shibuya
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Ever wanted to look past your guidebook and experience Tokyo’s vibrant culture in local’s shoes? Oishii Tokyo Food Tours will take you on a walking food tour to eat at tucked away gems known exclusively to locals.
Reviewed 31 May 2018

I did the Aka Chochin tour with Miyuki. We visited three eateries and a dessert place.
First was a yakitori joint, then a sashimi place, then to more informal bar in an alley full of young people having a good time. Topped it off with amazing ice cream with unique flavors.
Miyuki was excellent and informative, super kind and overall I had a blast.
Highly recommended.

MegSakuma, オーナー at Oishii Tokyo Food Tours, responded to this reviewResponded 4 June 2018

Dear Jorge,

Thank you so much for the great review !
I had a great time chatting with you !
Please let me know when you come back to Tokyo, there are more places I want to show you around !

Miyuki

All reviews
"sashimi"
in 34 reviews
"yakitori"
in 32 reviews
"highly recommend this tour"
in 13 reviews
"foodie tour"
"off the tourist track"
"american couple"

Reviewed 30 May 2018

This review is long overdue! I did the Yanaka walking food tour with a large group (my family) and it was one of the highlights of our trip! Our guide was Christian Traylor and he was so upbeat and informational for the whole tour. It wasn't easy to wrangle our large group (including two kids) around Yanaka's food stands and he didn't skip a beat when answering all our questions and even helping carrying the smallest child at the last stop. It really did feel like he was a part of the family!

We ate so much great food, took a lot of awesome pictures, and learned so much about the food and culture of the area. I can tell Christian is very knowledgable about Japan in general and its customs. He mentioned he was the first American born tour guide they hired and we were definitely worried we weren't going to learn a lot from him. We were pleasantly surprised about how he could make connections between his experiences growing up in the US and now living in Japan. I also love the story he told about how this tour company was created and run by women! I thought that was amazing.

I definitely recommend this tour, especially in a large group (even families with kids!). If you are looking for less of a touristy, mundane trip, book a tour with Oishii Tokyo Food Tours! Check out the picture that was sent after our trip by Christian! He even wrote a very thoughtful note =)

2  Thank francespadua
MegSakuma, オーナー at Oishii Tokyo Food Tours, responded to this reviewResponded 10 June 2018

Thank you for your wonderful review! I enjoyed the tour with your family, and especially the little ones. :) I also felt like a part of the family, so it made the tour extra special for me! I am the first to admit I don’t know everything there is to know about Japan, but I’m glad that you were surprised with what I had to say. It’s always good to know that I have something useful to say!

I also believe this tour is a great way to see Tokyo in a less-touristy, mundane way, so thanks for pointing that out! I hope the rest of your trip was wonderful and I hope we will see ALL of you again in the near future!

Take care,

Reviewed 24 May 2018

During a previous trip to Tokyo we booked a food trip at Oshii food tours and we decided to book a trip on this trip as well. I can not describe how incredibly nice this food trip is. It is the highlight of the trip. In addition to super good food (all seldom were so interesting and varied) our guide Naoko was so nice. It felt like meeting a friend who took us to her favorite places in Tokyo. I highly recommend to book a food trip from this company. You would really miss something amazing if you did not.
Looking forward to the next trip and next food trip. :)

1  Thank Agnes B
yuki82miyu913, Owner at Oishii Tokyo Food Tours, responded to this reviewResponded 2 June 2018

Hi Agnes, thank you so much for your kind message. I had a great time with you and your lovely parents.
We appreciate you coming back to Oishii every time you visit Tokyo. Your support means the word to us.
Looking forward to seeing you again, meanwhile I will keep looking for more yummy restaurants!

Reviewed 16 May 2018 via mobile

Our family visited Japan for the first time and our very informative guide, Christian, took us to four excellent and very interesting restaurants for a delicious sampling of local dishes. Even my husband, who had been quite anxious about eating Japanese cuisine, was thoroughly charmed. Highly recommended!

MegSakuma, オーナー at Oishii Tokyo Food Tours, responded to this reviewResponded 23 May 2018

Dear Jane,

Thanks for joining my tour! I’m so glad you found our restaurant choices to be excellent and interesting - I think so, too! I’m glad your husband was charmed by the food, too. Japanese cuisine is amazing and I’m glad everyone was able to enjoy the food on the tour. Your family was wonderful, and I enjoyed our conversations very much. I hope you have a great rest of your trip and safe travels back home! I hope to see all of you again on another tour in the future!

Thanks,

See more reviews
Reviewed 16 May 2018

This was our second tour with Oishii Tokyo Food Tours. This day walk was amazing. Christian was a wonderful, insightful guide who made the day perfect. The directions to the train station was excellent. The walk was just right. The food was beyond description. Each place we stopped for local street food was better than the previous. This neighborhood is an amazing contrast to many of the other areas of Tokyo - quiet with a slightly slower pace.

We had such a wonderful time on this tour, we went back the next day for the shopping experience. If I was to give this tour fewer stars, it would be only because it was too short and we were unable to do much shopping.

This tour is a MUST and I have already recommended to several of my friends who live in Japan, just as we do.

Thanks for joining the Yanaka walking tour! I was so thankful for your help during the tour, with your observations about Japan from your time teaching here. I’m glad you enjoyed the food and the neighborhood. The Yanaka area is a real gem of Tokyo, and I’m glad we could experience it together. I hope you’ll join us for another tour soon, and I also hope you continue to enjoy your time here teaching. Take care!

Thanks,