All reviewswoodside innsandy ballson siteswimming poolsoft playevening entertainmentluxury lodgenew forestcomfort caravanout of seasonforest tablecycle hirelaid backpond dippingwell stocked shopschool holidaysfamily break
Reviewed 28 June 2018

This is the 4 th consecutive year my children and i have stayed at this wonderful resort. This was another simply fantastic week, so good, we extended out stay by another day!! We stayed in a 3 bed comfort lodge which had been refurbished and had everyting we could possibly need, the beds were so comfortable,we all slept perfectly every night.
Dawn checked us in, early in fact and as it was my birthday, that was greatly appreciated! My children who are now 5 and 7, love it here because they have so much freedom and independence in a very safe environment. They can ride their bikes easily, play in the arcade, make lots of friends and we all have fun! The entertainment was great, we went to the children's disco and played Bingo Beats and the wonderful ents guy organised a fabulous silent disco as well, it was just brilliant. We ate the new Aubrey's three times, a great kids menu and lots of other yummy choices, again all staff were super friendly and helpful. You can use the takeaway, shop or the onsite Woodlands pub too!
We swam many times and as the weather was glorious, made full use of the lovely outdoor heated pool- it was fantastic.
It is obvious how much money has been spent on the site, the courtyard area is beautifully landscaped, the eating areas very smart, the pool is clean and newly tiled and the whole site looks first class. We loved the playgrounds and range of activities. My son joined the Nerf challenge in the camo fields and it was so well organised, he loved it!
We also visited Stonehenge, New Forest Wildlife Centre, Mudeford Quay for crabbing, Peppa Pig World and the wonderful Dorset Heavy Horse Farm which was our favourite place!
We have already booked for next year, gaining another 10% off the discounted price, Shiree was so helpful in helping us do this.
We just cannot say enough good things about this place, it is like our second home!!

• Stayed: June 2018, travelled with family
Greg L, Guest Relations Manager at Sandy Balls Holiday Village, responded to this reviewResponded 2 July 2018

Thank you for your review. I am so happy to see that you and your family were able to enjoy another fantastic break away with us! We can't wait to welcome you all back for another break away.

Reviewed 27 June 2018

Me and my husband visited the campsite for a last minute camping trip. On arrival we found the staff fiendly, very helpful and were able to clearly direct us to out tent pitch .
The site is large and well spread out with a variety of accommodation which should offer a choice to suit most people .
Our tent pitch was a good size with the added bonus of an electrical hookup and fresh water, which was great, a big a big thumbs up so far. We were also located near enough to the toilets, shower block and bins to make it convienient but no too close that it caused any problems with noise, smell or constant traffic. The thumbs up continue .
Sadly we do have a grievence. When we booked the website information clearly stated our Compact Select Pitch was a gravel based pitch. Not a problem, you would think, but when we tried to put our tent up, the ground was so hard and compact it was like getting through concrete, quickly breaking and bending our ground pegs .
A kind man camping in a neighbouring pitch came across and offered us help, saying that he had also encountered problem, breaking 2 mallets and that he didn’t realise that a jack hammer would be needed.
All around us, you could hear heavy banging and the comments from people battling to secure tents and awnings.
Eventually I went to the on site shop as all our ground pegs were now broken and I needed more heavy duty steel pegs to replace them. The general store had completely sold out so I visited the next shop and when I explained our dilemma, the staff informed me that it was a frequent complaint but they had half a dozen they could hire me for £2 + a £5 deposit. I gratefully accepted the steel pegs that showed heavy signs of wear including a few bends and returned to the tent where eventually, after much hard work and plenty of perspiration, we managed to secure the tent. Luckily we had good weather so we were able to get away with using less pegs than usual and leave some ropes unattached.
Once erected the gravel was fairly ok but despite having our brand new tent on a footprint and a capet inside, some larger stones could be felt underfoot making it painful and uncomfortable to walk on and we also found that the stones did cause a small amount of damage.
The company should make it VERY CLEAR that HEAVY DUTY STEEL ground pegs will probably be needed.
The shower block was largely acceptable but there was room for improvement. Definitely attention to debris and hair in the shower grating needs to be addressed. Although the showers are in constant use, the scum and hair collection in the grate was excessive and certainly looked like it had been there longer than 24 hrs. Toilet paper was not always present in some loos. 1 of the 2 available soap dispensers was empty for the entire duration of my stay.
The shower block has a sign stating that it is regularly checked and another notice outside stating it is closed for cleaning at 12.15. While, I never found it closed at any time of the day, on 2 occasions staff were cleaning while I was inside the block. On one of the occasions, I went for a mid morning shower and was confronted by a young male who was in the process of cleaning and he told me to carry on..... I don’t think so!
If the sign says it closes for cleaning at a given time, then it should be closed at that time to enable thorough cleaning.
There is a washing up area with several sinks located at the side of the shower block. I always found this area clean, presentable and very useful.
I thought the campsite appeared generally safe and offered plenty of opportunity for a relaxing break while also providing the option to engage in various activities.
There is a large marketing emphasis at the campsite with show Home/caravans open, but at no point did we feel pressurised by this.

We experienced good weather and had a relaxing holiday with plenty of walking and relaxing and even extended our holiday by one day. However, we probably won’t return to the site, purely due to the gravel pitch.

Stayed: June 2018
2  Thank sha z
Greg L, Guest Relations Manager at Sandy Balls Holiday Village, responded to this reviewResponded 27 June 2018

Thank you for your feedback Sha z. From reading your review I can see that you had a mixed stay with us. I am glad you were able to enjoy your break away and even extended your stay with us however saddened to see you probably won't return. I thank you for your feedback with regards to our pitches and bathroom cleaning as this will help us to improve our facilities and the experience we offer our guests for future breaks.

Reviewed 26 June 2018 via mobile

Wow! Just had a long weekend here, what a beautiful place. The lodges were just perfect, exceptionally clean and well presented and a nice touch with a welcome pack. Staff were very friendly and helpful too.
I can’t say enough about it we enjoyed it so very much and are already going to book for next year.
If you get the chance go .....

Stayed: June 2018, travelled with family

Thank you for your review Sharon. It is lovely to read your comments about your stay with us and we can't wait to welcome you back in 2019!

Reviewed 26 June 2018

Stayed in the luxury lodges 3 bedroomed numbered 304 and 306. 304 had been refurbished. 306 was a very dark lodge with no sun. Found it quite oppressive. Also the lodges were quite close with just an old wooden bench outside. The lodges were clean as were all the towels and linen. Take your own tea towels. Has two bathrooms but found the lodges very cramped. Expensive for what you get. There were 4 adults and two children aged 4 and 18 months. In one lodge and 4 adults and two babies aged 9 weeks in the other. Booked onto the pond dipping for the four year old. The pond was choked with weed and needed attention £5 fee for this. Also booked into the bug hunt which he would have loved but this was cancelled at the last minute. Not good news for a four year old. Poor show. Also the outdoor swimming pool closed at 3.00 due to lifeguard shortage. It was 25=degrees for heavens sake. Don’t offer services if you cannot guarantee them. Poor management needs to be more proactive in organisation. The money we paid for the lodges was not cheap but the activities were the let down. We did not feel we had value for money at sandy balls. The restaurant was very good and relaxing. Staff were very friendly and helpful. For the price we paid I do not think I would return .

Stayed: June 2018, travelled with family
1  Thank 628LandK

Thank you for your review. From reading your review I can see you had quite a mixed stay with us. I apologise if you felt let down by the activities on offer during your stay. I am afraid last minute cancellations can occur were unforeseen circumstances arise and while we understand our guests disappointment with this please be assured our team will have used cancellation as a last resort and done their best to find a way to continue with any scheduled activities or opening times. I am sorry to see you won't be returning to our park but thank you for all of your feedback.

Reviewed 24 June 2018 via mobile

Spent a lovely week at Sandy Balls and enjoyed it so much.
We had a touring pitch for a week and were extremely lucky to have great weather all week. Check in was quick and simple and we had the pitch we requested. The weekend was really busy but then everyone left on Monday and the rest of the week was quiet. Toilet and washing facilities were really good and from Monday were spotlessly clean. At the weekend it was a different story, the facilities were cleaned as usual but it seems kids and families don’t have the same respect for others and by the time they were next cleaned they really needed it, makes you feel sorry for the staff, as it shouldn’t really be an issue.
The pool and gym facilities were great, it’s nice to have a holiday gym where you can really have a proper workout with good equipment.
All the staff were friendly polite and helpful all week.
The only criticism and the reason I haven’t given 5 stars is the price of food at the Woodside inn. The place itself is lovely and they have a good menu but I do begrudge paying £11 for a burger and chips which was of the same standard as I could get at a Wetherspoons for half that price. The place was empty when we ate there and we didn’t go back as there are so many lovely pubs close by. It wasn’t the food it was only the price so if you don’t mind paying that much you won’t be disappointed.
In contrast the on site shop was well stocked and had reasonable pricing and we used it for provisions all week.
This is the second time we’ve stayed at Sandy Balls and will definitely be going back again, the location staff and facilities are all brilliant, but we’ll probably avoid weekends or kids holidays and we’ll probably eat out at local pubs.

Stayed: June 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank StuartandWendyD

Thank you for your review. It is lovely to see that you managed to enjoy so much about your stay with us including the facilities on offer at the park and in the local area. I thank you for your feedback with regard to the pricing of our food in the Woodside Inn and we can't wait to welcome you back to park again.