“Great restaurant for vegans”
Review of The Swan

The Swan
Ranked #3 of 5 Restaurants in Bampton
Reviewed 31 May 2018

After a very long day of travelling and stress, having never been to the area, myself and my mother were too tired to cook and decided to venture out to eat. As a vegan, most restaurants recommended looked lovely, but had no options on the menu. We drove past Ye Olde Swan and I quickly googled the menu - and there were vegan options! A miracle! The food was really nice, came out piping hot and very quick service. The staff members at the bar were attentive and so were the waiters, and we were kept updated on how long food would be. I had the houmous, olives and pitta for a starter - which sadly (but not really) filled me up and I could only manage half my main (Bangkok bad boy burger and chips), which a nice waiter boxed up for me. My mum had mozzarella sticks and a bee fburger and said both were lovely. It's a shame there are quite a few unfavourable reviews on here - maybe we were lucky, maybe others were unlucky, but we had a pleasant experience, service was friendly and having at least one vegan item on every single section of the menu was very impressive.

2  Thank rahrah3

Reviewed 29 May 2018

I booked a Tipi and asked for 4 beds, Double, single, 2 x campbeds. I was quoted £130 for bed and breakfast for that. When we got there, it was busy and a little chaotic. Only 1 campbed was in the Tipi , the shower block was locked so no one could have a shower, straight off canoeing in the river - that isn't great, and no keys were available.Half the management was away and those left could not cope. About an hour and a half after we arrived, a shower key was finally found, too late for the boys who had enough of waiting around cold and wt and had already changed. But no extra appeared - all too difficult. I was also told I hadnt asked for it, except that it was clearly written on the sheet which the staff member was holding. No extra bed was available. Not great as this had been specifically booked.When I rang today to point these things out to the manager, I was told I was lucky NOT to get the bed, as i would have been charged an extra £20 (not mentioned at the time of booking)! and that I DID get a shower later that night so what was I complaining about ? At every point in the conversation I was interrupted and unable to finish a point. Extremely rude and not interested in customer views.I don't normally write reviews, this was just a pants experience. Food was also very forgettable, service slow. Very fawlty.

5  Thank MikeO1066
Carmen H, Manager at The Swan, responded to this reviewResponded 11 June 2018

Hi there, heres a review of someone who stayed with us this week.

Hi Carmen, we had a lovely time the tipi was perfect, clean, tidy absolutely spot on, showers and toilets also very clean

Breakfast was great.

Once again many thanks to you and your team best of luck with this new venture.

Hopefully we will be back later in the year.

Vince and Bev

Reviewed 22 May 2018

We planned to enjoy a relatively tranquil stay by the river Thames camping, but instead we experienced drunkenness, loud music & shouting well into the early hours from the Tipi village.
We expected there would be an element of noise to come from the pub, but did not expect this type of behaviour and disturbance.
There was no evidence it was being managed at all and at times it was so bad we felt unsafe.
There were numerous signs around the field with various instructions, but these were generally being ignored.
Some serious thinking needs to be done, otherwise it runs the risk of turning into an out of control 18-30 resort

3  Thank Annalese78
Carmen H, Manager at The Swan, responded to this reviewResponded 23 May 2018

Hello there, thank you for your comments. I was made aware of the situation first thing on Monday morning and I was expecting an email from you directly, however since you have made your comments upon Trip Advisor, I'm happy to respond to you this way rather than directly.

You made our staff aware of the loud noise coming from the Tipi's on Sunday morning and our assistant manager advised you to contact me to resolve. We talked to your partner and we had an enjoyable conversation and other than the loud noise coming from the other campers, you stated you had enjoyed the experience. We thought you had left happy after telling us that "it wasn't our fault" There is also a customer feedback questionaire in every Tipi for our customers to provide feedback and on this occasion you did not complete it?

Our policy is to only accept bookings from individuals over 21 years old. We had two large bookings that were separate groups of mixed adults, over the age of 21 that booked several of the tipis to celebrate a birthday.

Upon checking in, they, like you signed our terms and conditions that include "no loud music past 10pm". Unfortunately this rule was flouted by them and they had an ipod with small speakers playing past midnight. There was also other aspects of their behaviour that we are currently dealing with them directly about and I have made them perfectly aware that their behaviour during their stay was unacceptable and upset another tipi (which I believe was you as no other complaints were received)

First thing on Monday I have changed our booking policy to only accept mixed group bookings from over 25 years old, however I appreciate that older people can be just as loud and enjoy their stay a little more excessively than others, there is only a certain amount we can do to prevent this.

We are in an idyllic location and we ask everyone who comes here to respect other campers. The terms and conditions are also at the back of every information brochure that we send out and we also get people to sign this upon signing in. However larger groups of people do tend to be louder and it would appear that both groups made friends and had an enjoyable evening. They also had cleaned up their areas rather well the next morning but as I said before we are in communication with them to resolve this.

We do not want our site to turn into an 18-30 holiday camp and we are mindful from this day forward to ensure that everyone who books is over 25. We also have onsite cameras to ensure the safety of our customers and we will be employing a security guard during the summer months to patrol the area.

We thank you for your comments, it is our first season, we will always take our customers views on board so that we can improve the experience for our glampers.

Reviewed 15 May 2018

A Group of 11 of us went to Ye Olde Swan to stay in the tipi's for 2 nights to celebrate my 40th. The staff were friendly and we were quickly settled in our beautiful tipis. The area is stunning right on the Thames with good walks around. The cooked breakfast which was included was incredible. It was a little disorganised at times but i think that is the price they pay for being so busy / popular and the tipis are a brand new venture for them. As per previous comments you could here to music from the pub but we were enjoying that. The drinks at the pub were good a great choice on offer. I would have given it full marks only people from the camp site were often walking into the tipi area including one shouting her dog which was running round the tipi's at 5am or letting their kids play in their and we had to collect up and take our rubbish home. There should be recycling facilities for a £90 a night glamping experience you should not be expected to take your rubbish home.

Carmen H, Guest Relations Manager at The Swan, responded to this reviewResponded 22 May 2018

Hi Sam, thankyou for your comments. You were our very first customers on our very first weekend. We parreciated your comments on our feedback forms and as such the following changes have been implemented.

New rubbish bins at various locations around the site. We were very sorry you felt you had to take rubbish home - not what we intended.
Signs clearly telling people "no access" except for Tipi glampers so they know not to allow children or dogs into the area.
Signs clearly telling people "no dogs" past this point.

We thankyou for your custom and hope to welcome you back.

Ye Olde Swan Team

Reviewed 14 May 2018

The Tipi is billed as glamping but apart from a bed, it is camping really given the facilities. The Tipi is in a field surrounded by a campsite and not far from the pub. The noise from the pub disturbs the tranquility of the glamping experience, especially when there is live music.
The put restaurant food is really basic and the service slow. It was a bank holiday and people were having to wait just for a drink. At one point, one of the staff proudly announced that the food service was suspended as they had too many orders. Not what you want to hear with limited access to alternatives.

Carmen H, Manager at The Swan, responded to this reviewResponded 24 May 2018

Hi there, thanks for your comments. We are in a very beautiful and rural location and part of the pull for many of our customers is the fact the pub has live music and many events throughout the year. The food served is incredibly varied and the service was probably slower than usual due to it being a bank holiday. During the summer months, the pub and location pulls in tourists from all over the world in incredbley large numbers

I can assure you when we decide to stop serving, we are not proud of the fact. This would have been due to having over 50 tickets on order and as you can appreciate, if we suspend food orders to clear the backlog, people are not left waiting for too long for their food. Our menus do state that during busy periods there will be a wait on food and considering the pub and gardens can serve up to 200 covers, I'm sure you can appreciate how busy things can get.

We always strive for customer service and if this means suspending food so people (on an incredibly busy day) don't have to wait hopefully longer than 45 minutes, then that is a decision that the management have to make.

As for the glamping, I find it hard that you can call it normal camping, you have a fur lined double bed, clothes hanging space,table and chairs and hessian matting, wood burning stoves and a full English breakfast served next the the river. We also make all our customers aware that there is a pub nearby - some people love that fact and others dont. Its a preference.