All reviews boutique hotel home away from home gorgeous hotel team running ski hire peter barn
Selected filters
Reviewed 10 November 2018 via mobile

This is our third visit, but with family. The team and place is still as charming as ever. Even though there are tons of other new places opening up, we still love the place for it caters to just that few couples/family. Our kids absolutely love the play room. We are pretty spoilt by the dry room that keeps our ski gear and clothes clean and dry every day. It is hard to stay elsewhere unless it comes with a perfect dry room, simple yet flavorful breakfast with good coffee, pick up service to ski lifts, loft unit and yes, this place comes with Netflix as well! It’s a hit with the kids and our folks!

Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 19 September 2018

We had a fantastic stay at Kimamaya - definitely the best hotel we stayed in in all of Japan! Peter and Haruka were very welcoming, and they dropped us off for our onward transport after our stay (even though the bus stop we needed was not nearby!) We loved the private onsens in the hotel, and the excellent breakfast too (I had poached eggs with smoked salmon, and a great toffee latte). We also appreciated Netflix in the rooms in the evenings (we watched a new series that we are now finishing at home). Very comfortable lounge too. I could not recommend Kimamaya any more highly - if you are considering visiting, definitely do!

Date of stay: September 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank Robin T
Reviewed 11 May 2018

We spend 4 nights at Kimamaya and it was just perfect. Peter and all the other people here made our time a dream. Peter give us a lot of tips for restaurants in the area. The room and the hotel (bedrooms in total), in general, were nicely decorated and very calm. We had access to the breakfast at the restaurant next door. Bath time was available after a ski day, very relaxing. They were very helpful to drop us off us and pick us up for our ski days. I would highly recommend this hotel, try the bar not too far with the little red door, a must!

Date of stay: May 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 March 2018

We loved our first stay at Kimamaya this past February 2018 with our two boys, aged 5 and 10. The two story bedroom (with kids beds and little private den upstairs) was great and gave us the space we needed; and the small boutique hotel feel really made Kimamaya a home away from home. The staff was attentive and helpful, suggesting and booking dinners for us, but also super accommodating when we wanted to have a take away pizza 'at home' and suggested we should relax in the bar area ... the lovely bottle of sparkly wine we had with it, made it a wonderful, relaxing evening. We also found the central location of the hotel brilliant. We had previously stayed in ski in/out places in Niseko and were a little reluctant about having to take the Kimamaya shuttle bus to the Hirafu Gondola and back every day. But this turned out to be a non event and very efficient; we were given a phone to call and our taxi arrived within a few minutes later. Also loved the in-house massage/SPA and wished I had booked earlier and a few more slots! Will most definitely book them in advance next year!!! So yes: we definitely plan to go back to Kimamaya in 2019. :-)

Room tip: Make sure you book the in-house massage/SPA in advance as only one therapist and she is amazing!
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 11 March 2018

On first hearing about Niseko, years ago, I knew it was a place I needed to visit, as it combines two things I love: skiing, and Japan. When I was finally ready to book the trip, it was tough to find the right place to stay; I wanted the convenience of staying in town, so I could walk to restaurants and bars, but I didnt want to be too far from the mountain. Luckily, I stumbled onto Kimamaya.

The website and marketing materials cannot do it justice; the location is very central, and the public areas and rooms feel cozy and comfortable. There are also two private onsens, that are restorative after a day on the slopes.

But, what really sets it apart, is the incredible service provided by Peter and Haruka. They constantly go above and beyond to ensure that your stay is amazing, from the second you inquire about room availability, to the moment that you leave. They know the town inside and out, and I need to mention Osaka-san, who is incredibly efficient shuttling guests back and forth in town.

Thank you again for an excellent stay. I cannot wait to return!

• Trip type: Travelled solo