“Average... not bad, but not great either”
Review of United Airlines

Reviewed 9 April 2018

I fly United almost exclusively. They consistently perform their duties at a level that is mediocre. It’s just OK. Since I fly them all the time, I really, really want them to be better. But it feels like they are struggling to find their soul. It’s hard to differentiate them from their competitors. They are all very “vanilla” in my opinion.

On the plus side, the flight departed early and arrived early. I am never disappointed with early. The flight attendants were friendly and efficient. The Economy Plus seat was fine. The technology worked well. The pilots kept us informed throughout the flight.

On the meh side, the complimentary snacks are sad- a tiny bag of very boring pretzels. Gluten sensitive people are just left out. The snacks for purchase are all sort of bizarre mix of items, many of which are awkward to eat on the limited tray. The boarding process is frustrating. For everyone regardless of class. There has to be a better way to do this. Since United does it thousands of times a day, it seems like they might get their best minds together and come up with a more enjoyable boarding experience. The Southwest Airlines approach comes to mind.

Again, I’m cheering for United to figure out how to set themselves apart from the shrinking pack of competitors. But they seem to be determined to just be plodding along in the middle.

Date of travel: March 2018
Write a reviewReviews (51,229)

Reviewed 9 April 2018

It is a long flight between Detroit and Honolulu, via Chicago. The long leg-- from Honolulu to Chicago- is over six hours. There was only one beverage service and the only free food was a miniscule bag of pretzels. There were sandwiches and snack boxes for purchase but they did not look worth the money, and by the time they got to us in the back of the plane, the choices were very limited. The plane was full, of course. The row we sat behind had some sort of different seat attachments so that it limited the foot space on the end seats so we couldn't stretch out our legs around our carried on personal items. And to cap it off, the entertainment system on the plane was not working so we couldn't watch movies or TV or even the flight status on our phones. It was a very long six hours. To be fair, the flight attendants were fine and United gave us each a $100 voucher because of the entertainment problem, but really-- I hope not to have to fly United again. It is just as bad as Spirit and it was just not a pleasant experience all the way around. Not a great way to end a wonderful vacation.

Date of travel: April 2018

Worst trip ever.
I was at the airport to catch the morning direct flight at 6 am. The agent won't let me board because they have some operation mistake. After waiting for 1 hour, they told me it was fixed but the airplane had shut off.
The agent didn't apologize.
After that, no one came to help. Under my strong request, they agreed to reschedule a new flight in the same day, and I arrived 12 hours after the expected time (spending lot of changing planes). I had to give presentation in a conference the next day.
The agent on the phone didn't help but hanged up.
They don't care about their customers. Bad and very unprofessional service.

Reviewed 9 April 2018

My sister & I met up on a Tuesday at DIA (fortunately both of our previous flights made it there on time) for a non-stop flight to Honolulu for a girls trip. If you are flying economy, consider rows 48, 49 & 50 on the 777-200. Although the configuration on this aircraft is now 3-4-3, the last four rows in the back are 2-4-2. We chose seats 48 K/L. They were fantastic seats, as they provided more leg room and side room. Also the rows recommended are far enough away from the lavatory that people aren't hanging out over your seat to use the water closet. The flight left on time and landed a little early. Although we brought on our own food, we appreciated the beverage service and pretzels. Being 48 K/L made us feel like we were in our own little world, and we had a great time catching up.

Date of travel: February 2018
1  Thank LOuLOu0204
Reviewed 9 April 2018

This was my first time traveling in first class on an international flight, United call it business class as there is no first class, There is no free WIFI you have to pay a surcharge to use it. There was lunch scheduled but they ran out of the chicken and i don't eat red meat so I they had to "borrow" a chicken sandwich from coach. United you ran out of food in first class really? other than that everything was fine and the seat was comfortable.

2  Thank Bostonmagik
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.