“Overprized, under-performing 'airline' whose slogan should be "FailAir. We get you and your luggage nowhere".”
Review of Finnair

Reviewed 14 May 2024

FinnAir, and their evil twin FinnAvia focus on cost-cutting, not their customers.
Case in point: April 23rd 2024. I stayed overnight to catch the early (07:40 dep.) AY1411 flight to Frankfurt. ETA 09:20 would give me plenty of time to change over to my 17:40 flight from FRA to Toronto. But FailAir had other ideas: the plane did not get a starting slot for five (5!) hours, during which we were held prisoner in their metal tube and every hour the captain came through on the tannoy, saying we might leave in an hour. It never happened. The captain said he had ordered food & drinks for us. Finnair never delivered these. Instead, we were given water and a dry biscuit each. A seemingly frustrated captain also told us that Finnavia (because it never snows in Finland - as it did that morning) had only cleared one runway, had had only one deicer available for ALL flights that morning.
After 5 hours waiting, the plane developed an electrical fault and FinnAir cancelled the flight.
To add insult to injury, FailAir then rebooked me to go via Munich to arrive in Frankfurt 12 hours late (21:00). Yet, as if that was not bad enough, the flight to Munich was 2 hours delayed, so I queued again at the transfer desk - who now inexplicably put me on the next direct flight to Frankfurt. Though, arriving after 7pm, I still missed my flight to Toronto.
That was not the only thing I missed. My luggage never arrived. In fact, the late Frankfurt flight had quite a number of those originally booked for the early morning flight. "Yes", we were told, "all your luggage is still in Helsinki".

Any surprise then that their customer "service" is so busy that my claim will only be looked at in "2-4 weeks time". But then, FailAir never employed more agents there either, as I know from experience: damaged luggage last year, luggage which was not loaded onto the plane - that has happened to often to count.

So, now I dread flying from Helsinki and, were it not too often the only way to escape Finland, would never willingly chose to fly FinnAir. If you can use an alternative: do!

Date of travel: April 2024
4  Thank Mtlps

Reviewed 14 May 2024

Not quite sure what Qantas is thinking. Maybe the Qantas brand doesn't count for much these days. Qantas has leased 2 x A330 from Finnair and I traveled on one last night from Bangkok to Sydney in Business Class.

I was honestly looking forward to it.

But the seats??? Non reclining seats in Business class. You either sit bolt upright, or make up the bed and lay flat. No in between. For anyone with a bad back it's a killer. No lumber suport at all, and no way to ease back to watch a movie. Sit upright, or lay flat. I was almost tempted to swap for an economy seat.

Without doubt, the worst business class seat I have come across.

Was there anything positive about the flight? OK the staff were nice.

The food, not very good, the soup was cold and the food just generally lacked that Qantas business class quality.

Sadly Qantas are trashing their brand on Internatinal flights these days.
Flying to Europe from Australia most of the flights seem to be code share now.
So now I just fly Emirates.

Is Qantas becoming a 'shell' airline Internationly, merely using other airlinews aircraft?

I would not fly this sector again with Qantas.........

Date of travel: May 2024
Reviewed 9 May 2024

We took Finnair from Vienna-(Transit in-Helsinki)-Tokyo.
First, our flight from Vienna was delayed by 6 Hours(apparently due to the weather, but our connecting flight went just right on time, which we think there was an organisational issue) with no information beforehand, so we waited at the airport the whole day and missed our connecting flight from Helsinki. They then changed our flight AUTOMATICALLY from Helsinki->Hongkong->Taiwan->Tokyo, which would've taken another continious 36hours nonstop. So we had to queue at the customer service in Helsinki for 3 hours to change our flight to a direct one to the day after. They did pay for the 1 night hotel in Helsinki, but we lost a whole 2 days of our vacation in Tokyo because of this. The airplane itself is also extremelt loud and the seats very uncomfortable. The food was also very bad for a 13hour flight. One main food, which is a very small portion with no dessert and 1 breakfast(which i got nauseous after eating it)
For the flight back to Vienna from Tokyo through Helsinki, thankfully it arrived on time, however my hardcase suitcase had a crushed hole in one corner and of course they are not going to reimburse my suitcase.
I have never had this kind of bad experience with an airline ever before. Never again with finnair. Worst airlin3 experience ever!!

Date of travel: April 2024
2  Thank Inspire59761616122
Reviewed 4 May 2024

I travel with a service dog. Before I bought my ticket, I asked Finnair if they allowed service dogs. They said yes. At the last minute (48 hours before leaving), Finnair said I could not bring my service dog on the flight from Norway to Riga. Based on prior communication, I had already spent $350 on a health certificate. Finnair did not take responsibility for lying and completely messing up my travel plans. They did not repay the money I lost on a health certificate I could not use. Horrible service! I will never fly with them again. I could have easily chosen another European airline that does allow service dogs if only they had been honest with me upfront.

Date of travel: July 2023
Reviewed 2 May 2024

BEWARE! This company had put in place a system of STRUCTURAL FRAUD wherein they delay service at the ONLY desk open out 5 that should be. Employee behind counter is on the phone for 45min so even customer infront of him gets zero service. Meanwhile 100 people are standing in a line behind customer at desk.

After 45min staff come and open 2 more desks, and then continue to tell everyone who has been told to "stand put, service is coming" by finnair employee throughtout - that ALL of us are late to boarding and boarding is closed.

Nonchalantly in an arrogant manner we were told to go to Menzies counter for further instructions and told to move from the desk.

Flight took off with 10+ people gathered at Menzies asking for the reason to not allow boarding. One moment we were late, the next Finnair told Menzies that we stood in the wrong line. There was only 1 desk open out of 10+.

After reading reviews on here I can say that this company has put this system in place in order to structurally defraud not only their customers, but primarily Qatar Airways passengers with transit in Doha.

AVOID

Date of travel: May 2024
1  Thank Mahad H
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.