“Prejudiced staff, horrendous meals, terrible entertainment”
Review of China Eastern Airlines

Reviewed 14 November 2018

On multiple occasions I experienced racial prejudice from staff, as in they treated or answered me quite differently than when I noticed a fellow white passenger did. And living in America, im quite privvy to any racial or prejudice undertones I might experience.
Food was just worth starving for - the food table had no salad, yogurt, fruits - just the tray of rice with crap chicken and a cup of water, as if it was being served by UN instead of an airline. Even in serving food the staff exhibited stark racism - they selectively asked and gave the chinese flyers extras like a warm bun or cup of noodles, whereas ofcourse when I asked for the warm bun they ran out. Ofcourse.

Planes are new, and seats were comfortable and spacious enough. The entertainment options were just as horrible though. For a 15 hr flight, they might be wise to put some more non-chinese movies n shows perhaps?

The worst part of flying china eastern is the transit through what is I think quite possible one of the worst airports I have ever visited including India - which is the Shanghai Pudong Airport. No one speaks english, or pretends that they dont so they dont have to answer questions.

Never flying this airline again. Ofcourse. China Southern is also the same - if you do have to choose a chinese airline, choose China Airline which seems to be the official national carrier versus these regional carriers now being made into cheap international long haul carriers.

3  Thank SPP2025

Reviewed 14 November 2018 via mobile

Not a good experience ...as a veg forget about the food options ..
Apart from that personal are not professional and jus getting their job done. Pay a lil more n get lufthansa.
Leg space not satisfactory for 175 cm ht. Entertainment box touch screen not working ...and the china made loudspeakers must be 3 times replaced

1  Thank sureshb973
Reviewed 13 November 2018

how they continue getting passengers to use their flights is beyond me!...Economy seats are worse then Grey Hound, sore butt after 10 minutes, food was garbage, none or very little English spoken so could not get instructions to hook up to their entertainment system. Flight attendants are rude, short to the point... Flew back to Vancouver and same old..seats are rocks, my wife and i froze our butts off and then they served breakfast which was plain cold. there is no reason for this in this era...they are a cattle bus in the air!

Date of travel: September 2018
1  Thank Canfly T
Reviewed 11 November 2018

Was able to check in quick and hassle free. Manila Staff were very accommodating and knowledgeable.

Was lucky enough to get economy exit row all the way to JFK and even on the return trip as well. The flight was very smooth with minimal turbulence. I also love the seats on the long haul aircraft. The plane seemed brand new with just the right firmness. Food onboard was just okay, don't expect something too wow for the money you paid for. The entertainment onboard was also just okay, selection isn't that much but they do carry some new releases. The service onboard was also very good, though their english was not too good, they always tried their best to communicate. Restrooms were always tidy, clean and smelled good.

On the way back, I had a long 23-hour layover. It went smoothly as I was escorted by their staff. I felt that I was treated like a VIP. The hotel provided was pretty basic with free breakfast and close proximity to airport. You just have to remember to apply the transit hotel online in their site so that you will be escorted by their staff. If not, you can always apply upon arrival if you have a long layover. I had a good rest with the long layover and I also had enough time to tour the city of Shanghai as well ( this was not free but you should definitely do!)

I would definitely take the airline again! Truly you get what you pay for and even much more!

1  Thank cherubangel313
Reviewed 11 November 2018

We booked our trip and then asked some friends who had the previous year flown to Japan. When asked about their experience of a similar length flight one of our friends said that she sat in the toilet at one point for 15 minutes so that when she got back to her economy seat it felt bigger. I immediately enquired how much it would cost for us to upgrade to Business (no Premium Economy on this flight), I could not believe it when I was told that we could get Business Class for just $2500 more each. Now I know that seems like a lot of money, but when you consider that we were able to start enjoying our trip from day 1 when the others in our tour group took 2 or 3 days to recover from their16 hour economy trip. Note our row of 4 business class seats took about the same space as 2 rows in economy (20 people!). Service was good you were given a choice of Chinese or Non-Chinese menus for each meal. My only complaint was that the cabin lights were off for about 13 of the 16 hour trip.

Date of travel: April 2018
1  Thank StephenA848
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.