“what a joke! flew from Vancouver to Shanghai and back...shiit cold food both ways and frooze on the way back”
Review of China Eastern Airlines

Reviewed 13 November 2018

how they continue getting passengers to use their flights is beyond me!...Economy seats are worse then Grey Hound, sore butt after 10 minutes, food was garbage, none or very little English spoken so could not get instructions to hook up to their entertainment system. Flight attendants are rude, short to the point... Flew back to Vancouver and same old..seats are rocks, my wife and i froze our butts off and then they served breakfast which was plain cold. there is no reason for this in this era...they are a cattle bus in the air!

Date of travel: September 2018
1  Thank Canfly T

Reviewed 11 November 2018

Was able to check in quick and hassle free. Manila Staff were very accommodating and knowledgeable.

Was lucky enough to get economy exit row all the way to JFK and even on the return trip as well. The flight was very smooth with minimal turbulence. I also love the seats on the long haul aircraft. The plane seemed brand new with just the right firmness. Food onboard was just okay, don't expect something too wow for the money you paid for. The entertainment onboard was also just okay, selection isn't that much but they do carry some new releases. The service onboard was also very good, though their english was not too good, they always tried their best to communicate. Restrooms were always tidy, clean and smelled good.

On the way back, I had a long 23-hour layover. It went smoothly as I was escorted by their staff. I felt that I was treated like a VIP. The hotel provided was pretty basic with free breakfast and close proximity to airport. You just have to remember to apply the transit hotel online in their site so that you will be escorted by their staff. If not, you can always apply upon arrival if you have a long layover. I had a good rest with the long layover and I also had enough time to tour the city of Shanghai as well ( this was not free but you should definitely do!)

I would definitely take the airline again! Truly you get what you pay for and even much more!

Date of travel: November 2018
1  Thank cherubangel313
Reviewed 11 November 2018

We booked our trip and then asked some friends who had the previous year flown to Japan. When asked about their experience of a similar length flight one of our friends said that she sat in the toilet at one point for 15 minutes so that when she got back to her economy seat it felt bigger. I immediately enquired how much it would cost for us to upgrade to Business (no Premium Economy on this flight), I could not believe it when I was told that we could get Business Class for just $2500 more each. Now I know that seems like a lot of money, but when you consider that we were able to start enjoying our trip from day 1 when the others in our tour group took 2 or 3 days to recover from their16 hour economy trip. Note our row of 4 business class seats took about the same space as 2 rows in economy (20 people!). Service was good you were given a choice of Chinese or Non-Chinese menus for each meal. My only complaint was that the cabin lights were off for about 13 of the 16 hour trip.

Date of travel: April 2018
1  Thank StephenA848
Reviewed 10 November 2018

Some of the problems I had with this flight are probably related to booking through Justfly. I booked 4 months in advance, had seats picked and confirmed.. 2 days before flight time, I tried to check in, one leg of my flight was showing 'economy'.
I called the justfly customer service line and was assumed it was just a glitch.
Justfly instructs you to use a confimation number on the CE site to check in. That number does not work! Use you eticket number!
Flight to BKK went off ok, but the transit in PDU is annoying. Justlfy shows an Airbus 330 on this leg, both legs of this trip to/from BKK were on an A320. Big difference.
Baggage arrived with me in BKK, (something Hainan can't pull off)
On the return trip I again had online check in problems with CE. It instructed me to choose a seat, and showed none available. I was repeatedly stalled at this point, and my previously selected seat was not showing on the chart or anywhere in the online check in process. Very annoying, more so since I had to make an 8 hour drive to the airport and hope I had a seat. I called the two CE phone numbers listed for Thailand, and got no answer., repeatedly.
Flight back was on time and ok.
I probably won't use justfly and CE again. Why? When you spend this much money and have other booking arrangements dependent on your flight being 'right', you don't need to deal with mysteries.
PDU is not a nice airport to transit. The lounge provided was OK, but crowded.
When transiting in PEK via another airline and business class, they provided concierge service to expedite transit in china. 15 minutes instead of one hour plus dealing with multiple lines for immigration, security scan, etc.
I'll give 3 stars since the planes were on time, and I got where I needed to go with my bags arriving with me, but overall this was not a pleasant experience I would repeat unless price difference was dominant.

Food was OK, seat on the 777 was OK,. Customer service other than flight staff was not so good.

Date of travel: November 2018
1  Thank PC1955
Reviewed 9 November 2018

The flight was on time and the leg room was very good for an economy flight. We arrived for check in about 3 1/2 hours before departure, we had already checked in on line but it took nearly an hour queuing to reach the check in desk. Once we were checked in we then had to queue about 40 minutes for security and the same again for immigration. The food on board was offered as chicken or beef. I chose the chicken but it didnt taste anything like chicken.The ice cream afterwards was very welcome

Date of travel: October 2018
2  Thank mariondp
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.