“American Airlines is the worst service do not use them”
Review of American Airlines

Reviewed 19 June 2021

This is the worst airline services, the Philadelphia terminal looks like a homeless shelter, it is dirty and smells like a old gym locker, the aircraft service was the worst they kept pushing people going to the islands to the front of the line over all of the people that had been standing there in line for an hour. And don't even try to call customer service their message states that it is a 4 hr wait time and it is not a joke, and after a week of calling I left my phone on for 3 hr to get through to someone who out of the gate had a piss poor attitude, and I even asked for a supervisor to explain that this is a military travel just to get no resolve. On my first flight Richmond my bags did not make it, yet there was a whole conveyor belt of packages that were not claimed and I guess were more important than my bag, and I was told to come back in 3 hr to the see if it was on the next flight, mean while I was required to get a shuttle service to my location and then back to search for my bags at my cost. I was trying to cancel my return flight after I got to my first location for the military and was required to return on military ground transportation. Now I am stuck with a $225 useless ticket that I will never use. Their policy that their tickets are non refundable is not posted on any of their ticketing that you have to ask for a refundable ticket and non of the people at the desk offer any of this information they just process you like cattle. They expect people to know what their internal policies are but they are not willing to post it on any of their paperwork that they give you or put it at their counters. I will make it a point to never use this airline ever again and I will be contacting my government representatives to let them know that this airline is ripping the public off. I will be posting this every where and will make it my goal to ensure that everyone know what a rip off this airline is.

• Check-in and boarding
Write a reviewReviews (73,214)

Reviewed 19 June 2021

Let's begin with the fact that I will never fly American Airlines again. Even though they are the only airline that flies out of Waco Airport (ACT), I will drive to Austin or Dallas to reach my destination through Southwest Airlines.

Chapter One - The Flight Credit
I had a flight scheduled right before the COVID-19 pandemic hit that was cancelled due to the world coming to a screeching halt. No worries, I'm tech savvy and consider myself an extroverted introvert. However, I had a flight credit burning a hole in my wallet that I could finally use. I tried to use this credit online, but to no avail. Apparently I had to call and speak to a Reservation Specialist to click OK on a keyboard to make the reservation for me. Four hours later, the time being 11:35PM I believe, I finally received a call stating I am next in line to speak to a representative regarding my reservation. After explaining the situation, the representative begins finding the reservation I just handed to him on a silver platter and says it will cost me $200.00 to use the credit. With my curiosity piqued I asked the reason for this charge. He proceeded to tell me that it was because this was a new destination and not the one I had originally booked over a year ago. You can imagine how the rest of that conversation went, however the ending threw me for a loop. After saying that he would speak to someone who could indeed make the call to correct this wrong, I hear a click and begin seeing red. Yes you are correct, the man did indeed hang up on me to sweep under the rug. However, I am a rather large man and not easily swept off my feet nor under any rug. I spoke to the Reservation Specialist Supervisor who simply read from her script "I am sorry for the inconvenience." I asked if there was any disciplinary action against employees who hang up on customers, because in my line of work there tend to be repercussions for negative employee behaviors and actions. At this point you could hear the tensing of her stomach as she frantically flipped through her script to find this scenario, beads of sweat beginning to form on her upper lip. Naturally she skipped to a response that was as generic as they come and I grew tired of speaking to a blank page. I ended the conversation with a question that I would grow to use frequently in the near future "Who else can I speak to that can actually help?" Rather than spend my nights waiting by the telephone I decided to email my issues to the next line of defence by American Airlines, Customer Relations. The next day on my way home from work I received a call from Customer Relations regarding my misfortune of using a flight credit. She proceeded to defend the individual who said he would be back but left me all alone fuming in the dark saying that he probably pushed "End Call" and it immediately started to ring again for another customer. Makes perfect sense because I used to use that line back in college.

"I'm sorry, I must have accidentally hit "End Call" and it moved to the next girl in line. I'm so sorry for the inconvenience."

Doesn't matter at this point, I just wanted to use the money I had already spent with American Airlines and not incur any further hidden "fees" associated with using this flight credit. This call ended the same as before with another line from America's Customer Service Anthem "I'm sorry for the inconvenience, but..." and having 5,000 miles left on the nightstand as a tip. Not sure if you know this or not, but a 30 minute flight cost around 45,000 miles, one way. Makes a man feel cheap, ya know? Anyways, she said I needed to speak to a Reservation Specialist to finalize my flight reservation and use my credit, minus $200.00 in change fees.

Another four hours drift by like sand through glass and I speak with another representative who placed me and my wife's reservation separately, because you cannot use a flight credit that has more than one passenger on a ticket. I only mention this now because it comes back later in the story. With that, we wait till the day of the flight which brings us to our second adventure.

Chapter Two - The Absent Attendant
Hungry, tired from work, late, and masked I stand at Gate 29 in the DFW airport terminal impatiently waiting for a woman who will never show. I can see the plane outside the window, the pilot has made several coffee break visits to the door, but no boarding takes place. "Your flight has been delayed 15 minutes" dings across my phone as we listen to the poor souls holding the door so the tired and weary passengers don't break down the gate to get on a plane just waiting to be boarded say "we are waiting on the flight attendant who should arrive here shortly." How little did I know that this phrase is one I was going to hear quite frequently for the next hour. A woman stands up and makes her way to the counter around 45 minutes in and speaks with the pilot and two souls informing them that she was a flight attendant off duty but would gladly step up and work to get us off the ground. They say no at first, but another 15 minutes go by with no flight attendant in sight and they hail her from the door to save us all. Cheers from the crowd fill the terminal as she walks through the crowd of irritated passengers offering free drinks to this woman who may or may not have been God sent. After our "brief" delay we finally begin boarding our flight to land in LAX two hours later.

Chapter Three - A Seat by Any Other Name
As we begin picking up the hotel room, packing up our items for our 5:00AM flight, we remember we need to check in for our upcoming flight. As we rush to the app my wife notices our seats are quite different from what they were a few days ago. Puzzled, I investigate and surely enough she is correct. I am now at the back of the plane whilst my fair maiden lay in the middle seat at the front of our plane several stories ahead of me. Remember when I mentioned the separate flight tickets due to the credit earlier? Here is where that comes back into play. Because we had to do two separate tickets due to a flight credit testament passed down from the American Airline Gods, we were now separated on a flight leaving Las Vegas, quite tragic indeed. Not only were we separated, but both of us were taken out of our Exit Row seats and assigned to main cabin seats. Did I mention my wife and I are both over 6 feet tall, and I am not the skinny skater boy I was back in high school. So you can imagine the horror that came over me when I realized I was sitting in a very tight fit seat next to some stranger. I was able to move my seat for free to an Exit Row thankfully, but my fair maiden was not so lucky. There were several Exit Row seats available, however we were forced to pay for a seat upgrade on a seat we already upgraded so she could sit next to her Romeo and stretch her legs out on our two hour flight at 5:00AM. Which brings us to the end of our fairytale and on to...

Chapter Four - Happily Never Again
Several emails go by with a Customer Relations Representative as I ask for the reimbursement of a seat upgrade that we were forced into after they moved us around due to equipment changes, AKA a new plane. We were reimbursed for our original seat, but that left $13.27 needed to be reimbursed for a seat change we did not plan for. Now we are blessed to not be hurting for money, but I cannot stand idly by while large corporations sit there and take advantage of the people that pay for their peanuts and tiny plastic cups. I have seen enough poor customer service to last me a lifetime and I cannot, no...I will not stand for it any longer. After waiting several days for a response, Cara Whitney copied and pasted her script into her email and said "I must respectfully decline your request for a refund." While I went into great detail how this is only logical, I received nothing back. I respectfully declined her response and said that I cannot accept these terms for the stated reasons, to which I typed out in great detail. The last email I received from Cara stated that she added a flight credit to my account in the amount owed to me and said that this is the best she can do.

Now let us take a pause here while we look at the series of unfortunate events that led me to this conundrum I call my personal Hell. Do you see the irony? All of this began with a flight credit, and she expects this to end with one. Even I had to sit back and laugh after reading that response.

I replied back stating that I must not have made myself very clear. I WILL NOT be flying American Airlines EVER AGAIN so what good is a flight credit to someone who is not flying your airline? Yet another slap in the face similar to the "Bonus Miles" left on the nightstand. You can credit my account for the total amount I am requesting, but not reimburse me directly? Seems odd and cruel if you ask me. Anyways, I ended the email with a note that said I get off work at 5:00PM and you can call me at that time to discuss how you can arrange my reimbursement and take back the flight credit.

5:00PM arrives and I am greeted with a call from an unknown number masking as "Potential Spam" but I threw caution to the wind and answered anyways. Sure enough it was Cara to tell me that she is sorry for the ___________ (entering the test portion of the novel) and that there is nothing they can do. (true / false)

If you said "inconvenience" and circled false, you would be correct in my book. I refuse to believe that Customer Relations is the end all be all for American Airlines. If so, I feel they would have a much more distinguished title to reflect their God like abilities. However I was told that there is nowhere else I can turn to to have this resolved. No supervisor, no corporate, nothing. It has reached the end of the line and has been deemed the weakest link in their eyes. So I continue to ask for clarification so that I can understand her side more, and hope she hears the true logic and something clicks. I ask how it's fair to change a flight where you paid for an Exit Row seat to be bumped to the middle of a main cabin seat. Her response was that it looks for her EXACT seat and throws her into it. C9 may have been Exit Row on our original plane, but C9 is main cabin on the new plane. At this time there are still no lights on at home and she continues to say "yep" despite the illogical statements I am spitting out. I ask why they do not move seats and include extras, such as Exit Row, and she simply replied with "cuz". At this point I have lost all composure because I am I am trying to reason with a brick wall, or at least the person with the intellect of a brick wall. So from here there is only one thing I can do. I said I am making my story known on every platform I can think of. I did not mean to take it so literally, typing out a novel as a review of a poorly run company, but here we are.

All of this to say I, nor anyone I can influence, will ever use American Airlines ever again. I hope that this novel gets published for corporate eyes to see the level of customer service that is being shown to your patrons. I hope you, as patrons, band together and let your stories be known when you are shown injustice because saying nothing means nothing will be done to fix it. I hope you aren't shown this level of poor customer service and injustice, but if you are I hope you stand with me and fight for the cause to wipe out poor customer service and injustice anywhere you can. Stand with me, and together we can make a difference.

*steps off soapbox*

Reviewed 19 June 2021

Worst customer service experience I've had with any airline. Will not fly with American Airlines again. Absurdly expensive. I was polite when requesting that they honor their original commitment then the TWO customer service representatives hung up on me without resolving ANY issue. After 4 hours on hold. The "supervisor" was rude and obnoxious as well.

Reviewed 19 June 2021

American Airlines has the absolute worse service in particular flight attendants are rude and have no manners very poor experience definitely they have ways to go to be like DELTA AIRLINES. Not even close.

Reviewed 19 June 2021

The worst airline ever, every time I fly with them they find a way to mess it up, avoid like it was covid

Date of travel: June 2021
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.