“Horrible AA personal treatment, lack of compassion and empathy towards customers.”
Review of American Airlines

Reviewed 2 March 2021

AA-FLIGHT 1096 – MIA TO DCA – FEBRUARY 28TH, 2021 – 3:46 PM

A few years ago, I wrote an article after a flight I made on American Airlines praising the airline and especially the service that a specific flight attendant provided to a helpless person. My writing earned this employee a decoration and I was very happy, because she deserved it.

Today I am writing another article, but unfortunately it is not to praise the airline but to express my discontent ... almost my indignation.

Yesterday Sunday I went to take a Miami-Washington flight for a medical intervention that I had on Monday morning. I always get to the airport early, but this time I left my ID at home by mistake. A friend with access to my house caught up with it, but between one thing and another I arrived at the first class desk at 3:07 pm, the flight left at 3:46 pm.

My wife had already done her paperwork, only I was missing, but to my surprise the person who attended me, named Richard, told me that it was late to check my suitcase and that therefore I could not leave on that flight, that I would have I had to get on the waiting list for the next one at 6:30 pm, and if I didn't reach that one, there would be another one at 9:00 at night.

I explained to him of my medical intervention the next morning, but my desperation was only valid for a quick consultation with a supposed supervisor who did not even take 3 seconds to deny any attempt to help me.

In the midst of such a situation and with time running out, the alternatives are scarce and the concern at the lack of guidance and help becomes complicated. They did not give me better options and when some superior, dressed in a suit, approached, he also denied any alternative of help to board the plane, despite the medical condition once again explained. I saw him leave disinterested in the matter, without the slightest show of compassion or solidarity with my case. I went after him, begged him for help and finally asked him to let me travel and they would send me the suitcase on the next flight. His response, which was followed by another employee behind the individual, was << The passenger has to travel with his suitcase. COMPANY POLICY >> They said.

I am not going to count the number of races and misinformation that I subsequently received at the counter inside the airport while seeing myself at number 8 on the waiting list. I will end by saying that I did not reach that plane and after being sent to another section where they could guide me (I do not understand why they did not do it from the beginning when I once again explained my case to young Nelson at gate 36) they put me in another waiting list for the 8:40 pm flight. In that I finally managed to get on, obviously in coach.

What is the paradox of this ending? that when I arrived in Washington and went to pick up my suitcase, (incredible) I received a note from the airline telling me that my suitcase was in the luggage office, because it had arrived on the previous flight. Really? And what happened to the company's policy?

It seemed implausible to me. But what most negatively impacted me was the disinterest and apathy with which each of the American Airlines employees treated me.

Rest assured that while I can avoid it, I will use another airline.

Armando Perez Aleman

AA CUSTOMER SERVICE’S ANSWER

March 1, 2021

Hello Armando:

Thank you for contacting Customer Relations.

I'm sorry you weren't able to board the flight to DC, especially having a medical procedure scheduled. One of the biggest challenges for our personnel at departure gates is to accept customers as close to departure as possible, complete the last-minute activities that are necessary before a flight is ready to depart, and still dispatch the aircraft on time. If we can accommodate late arriving customers without causing a delay, we will do so. We know it was frustrating not to be allowed to board the aircraft, however, there was insufficient time to enable you to board without delaying the flight.

I am sorry our agents weren't able to provide a better solution at the time. There is simply no excuse for our agents being unhelpful or not showing compassion. Our customers should always experience polite service from our employees, regardless of the circumstances.

Armando, again, I apologize for the difficulties this caused you and thank you for being one of our AAdvantage® Platinum members. We value your long-standing loyalty and support and are eager to continue the relationship we have enjoyed over the years. Please be assured we are all working hard to provide the high quality service you have every right to expect when traveling on American Airlines.

Sharon Sharp

RESPID:1-DLT9NOU: TID:1-DLT1A4V:
PROCESS: Response: CONTACTID:1-D47BWRN:

MY RESPONSE – MARCH 1ST, 2021

Dear Mr. Sharp:

Thank you for your quick response. Unfortunately, we buy business class tickets, to hopefully get better service, but I find that it is to no avail with your company. My wife was treated rudely before me by the same employee. I was treated rudely by the employee and the supervisor. They were even snickering. Unacceptable at any level.

Additionally, the policy that your bag has to travel with you when rudely out the window.

My wife and I realize that you must be overwhelmed with complaints working for American Airline.

Your response is not adequate, since it give us an excuse for your employees but no accountability, this treatment will go on and on forever if your employees I have no liability.

For the first time I realize what a bad reputation, unfortunately, American Airlines has. When I reached out to my very large family and told them about our experience they all return texts with similar instances.

It is incredibly sad for a company as large as yours to have such a horrible personal treatment, compassion, empathy, and any other word that you could use.

Since this was such a horrible experience, and we pay business just for the sake of hoping that in business class they treat you better, this complaint must be raced to a higher level. We will not accept a simple excuse from you, we would like this incident to go in the employee’s record.

We will not stop until the employees are identified and spoken to. We have already put our complaint on Facebook and will go online to do all possible way to expose this maltreatment.

Sincerely
Armando

• Check-in and boarding
Write a reviewReviews (72,726)

Reviewed 2 March 2021

Honestly, the flight itself was smooth and we had comfortable seats. We also had friendly passengers sittting all around us. We were quite happy. Unfortunately, things turned sour from the minute I saw their ticket agent at the entrance to the plane. He was not in a great mood and he did not make us feel welcomed. in fact, I thought that he was very rude to the African male that was in front of us. Apparently, it is illegal to board a flight with neck gator face masks, The ticket agent was not respectful to the African male and made it seem like it was a total inconveince to give him a replacement mask. This is when the fun began.
We got settled into our seats and I guess it seemed like we were going to leave a little early. Then we heard some bickering in the rear of the plane. We were seated in the middle section and we could see people in front of us looking towards the back. Next thing you know, the pilot announces that we aren't going to leave until a passenger removes his offensive hat. People then became upset that we were being delayed for a hat and were yelling "we don't give a Fbomb about the stupid hat. Lets go!!" The passenger was allowed to board the flight without crew saying anything, so in my opinion, it is the crew's flight for letting him through and they should not have fought to get him off. Flight attendants dropped the ball and lost control of the situation.
The flight attendant told us that she is worried about going up in the air with 32 rude customers. That was total BS and uncalled for. When I turned around to see what was really going on, I noticed the same rude ticket agent in the back making a scene. This caused us to be grounded for 45 minutes. Passengers were pissed because this was going to delay us from making connecting flights.
Once we got to Phoenix, we left the plane and we noticed that several passengers stayed behind to see the customer with the "offensive" hat. To my surprise, it was a African male wearing a black hat with words that I could barely make out. I approached the male and asked him if that was the hat that they were upset about and he appologized to me and everyone else that had to wait. The letters were less than 2 inches tall and in Old Eglish print. You would have to get real close to the male to be able to read his hate.
My observation leads me to think that your ticket agent has a problem with African males. In fact, the 2 other African males told me that the American Airlines agent was very rude to them as well. The African male continued to explain that he wore the same hat three days ago on the same Airlines. Where is the consistency? Address the situation before the male enters the plane. Not after he has taken a seat in the rear of the plane.
Considering what is going on in the world today, I think the agent and the flight attendants dropped the ball in the situation. Some updated training and some general polite customer service would have fixed the problem before it got out of hand. This does not look good for the company and I am sure. On another note, the flight attendants on both our outbound and return flight were not nice. Made use feel like they're doing us a favor and no politeness at all.

1  Thank rainbirdgpimp
Reviewed 1 March 2021

Another successful, mostly pleased flight on AA! This particular flight is the 6th flight I've taken with AA since the COVID pandemic started. I wanted to take a few minutes to comment overall on how my experience has been, with a multitude of flights booked/cancelled/rescheduled/flown over the past 12 months.

Cancellations, Refunds, Credits and Rebooking:
We've had a total of 12 flights that have been cancelled and/or rebooked over the past 12 months. Overall, I've been relatively pleased with how AA has handled every transaction. I've had one incident that was not initially handled as it should have been, and it did take me 3 phone calls and a threat to report to the DOT to be resolved. Outside of that issue, AA customer service has been nothing but professional and easy to work with.

COVID Flight Safety
In November, we flew round trip to Aruba. None of the legs of any of the trip did we experience a full plane, so we had zero trouble social distancing and in almost every flight, had an entire row to ourselves, and well as several rows in front of and behind us empty. In November, we were also given wipes upon boarding each leg, and a small snack bag with biscotti and a bottle of water. In November, crew was mindful of boarding and deplaning process, with announcements and monitoring to ensure there was limited/no crowding in aisles.

In February, both flights were booked to capacity, with 100% of the seats having a butt in them. There was no announcement boarding MIA to CLT about social distancing, nor was there any order to the deplaning process... the pre-COVID free for all was the process here. Upon landing in Columbus, OH, we were deplaned in an orderly fashion, with limited/no crowding as we all got off the flight.

Masking
We found crew on all of our flights to be mindful and aware of mask compliance on our flights. I had no issues with how the time on the plane was handled. However, at the gate, in both MIA and CLT, max wearing was very lax, and there were zero announcements about it until announcements were made during the pre-board and boarding process.

Gate Areas
Kudos either to AA, or the respective airports in CMH, MIA and PHL. In each of these airports there was adequate space for social distancing, no issues being able to stay away while we waited. However, CLT needs to be addressed. In every AA terminal except this one, it appeared as though every other gate was in use, chairs were marked to remind people about distancing, blocking seats, etc. CLT was the single place where I felt the most anxiety and at risk during any of these flights and the travel process. There were almost zero signs there was a global pandemic when you were in any of the AA terminals/gates in CLT.

I have also flow another airline during this time, and felt that the process and policies were similar between these two airlines. Overall, I do feel safe flying during COVID times, but would appreciate knowing that even within the same airline all crew and agents are following the same policies and procedures, with consistency.

Reviewed 1 March 2021 via mobile

American Airlines fees are ridiculous. Just charge the fees in the ticket. I board last because I couldn’t afford the large fee to pick my seat. And then a large fee to check baggage. This is not right!

Date of travel: March 2021
Reviewed 1 March 2021

I had purchased a travel package for 2 from AA including a PDP insurance for this trip. Today is 3-1-2021 and I still don't have my refund. When I called to cancel the trip I was told that it could take up to 12 weeks. 16 weeks have gone by, and I still don't have a refund. How long are they allowed to keep my Money?

Date of travel: November 2020
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.