George S wrote a review Jul 2022
Frackville, Pennsylvania, United States8 contributions9 helpful votes
I went on a cruise with my two adult children. It was a wonderful time. Our first cruise.

PROS:

Great service, an army of people did their best to make use happy and clean up after us. A few times I had to visit guest services, they bent over backwards to help us.

Entertainment was the best part. We saw a lot of shows and they were all impressive.

Food was very good, a tiny notch below other all-inclusive resorts we've been to, but after all we were on a boat, so understandable. Specialty restaurants were worth the extra fees but not totally necessary if you want to save some bucks.

We had the deluxe beverage package, there were many options for beer, wine, and top shelf liquor.

We used the fitness center and the spa. It was a bit crowded at peak hours, but this is to be expected.

They had a well written phone app that was very helpful, it was easy to make reservations and see your schedule for the day.

It surprised me that on a cruise ship I was still getting 15K to 20K steps each day on my Fitbit, there is quite a bit to see and explore. The ship is very well laid out.

I expected to get seasick. I did not. You can feel slight movement on a ship this big, but it was manageable.

CONS:

We had one bad restaurant experience, at Sabor (Mexican). An appetizer was poorly prepared, the waiter asked about it, we were honest. Then the entrees were mediocre at best. I also had to go to the bar to get a drink refill. I'm sure staffing is an issue everywhere, but this was the only place it happened. We decided to get desert at the ice cream shop next store, when we were there the manager came in concerned that we didn't finish our meal. He offered to buy us the ice cream, we thanked him, but somehow, we were still billed for the ice cream. It was one bad meal, but it stood out on our cruise, so I felt the need to mention it. Then later on the cruise we were at movie night, and I dropped in to Sabor for a drink refill since it was the closest bar to the theatre, the bartender ignored me for 10 minutes, serving waiter's orders, so I walked out.

A tropical storm caused us to re-route and miss a stop, on Curacao. But we got an extra day at Labadee to compensate. So not terrible.

I saw one dealer bark at gamblers at our poker table, all staff are still wearing masks and he had a thick accent and was hard to understand. The only time I saw a staff member being unpleasant.

We had adjoining rooms; the housekeeper opened a partition between our balconies. The first night I heard something repeatedly rattling/banging in the wind. It turned out to be the balcony partitions, although they were locked in place, they no longer had a tight fit. The housekeeper said to wedge something in the latch, so I folded up some paper and jammed it in and this fixed the problem. I know the boat is due for a refit, but this could be fixed by them easily with some foam rubber and glue.

We paid top dollar for internet "streaming". Turns out they only guarantee 1 MBPS. So not really streaming. Was also very unreliable. there have been satellite technologies available for 20 years that could correct this.

I wish the pools were bigger. But there was a lot of room and lounge chairs.

Prices included prepaid "gratuities", but I really got the feeling I should be tipping drinks, it was appreciated when I did it but I didn't see anyone else doing it. I also tipped our main dining room waiter and housekeeper at the end of the week. They did a great job and deserved it, and this was encouraged, an empty envelope appeared in our cabin at the end of the week for this purpose. But then you have to consider the prepaid gratuities are just a way to increase the price without increasing the price.

CONCLUSION: It was a great vacation, and I would book Royal Caribbean again.
Sail Date: June 2022
Pools & Sundecks
Onboard Activities
Entertainment
1 Helpful vote
Scroll below for other great reviews

Royal Caribbean Allure of the Seas

Deck 3 layout
Cabins
  Interior (1V)
  Ocean View (2N)
  Ocean View Accessible (1N)
  Interior (2V)

Amenities
American Icon Grill
Amber Theater
Studio B
Conference Center

Cabins

Balcony
Cabin size: 182 - 374 sq. ft.
Connected rooms: 390
  • Filter
  • English
deanripley wrote a review 6 Dec
Norman, Oklahoma7 contributions
Our suite was great, the food selection in the Windjammer was poor and tasteless. There were never any tables available. The MDR food was ok but the service was not good. Guest services was unable to resolve a problem we had with our safe, but problem was resolved by the concierge at the suite lounge. The majority of the crew I came in contact were not motivated and seemed to be just trying to get through this contact. To me the crew gave off a bad vibe. I have sailed with Royal before and have sailed on the Allure before. This has been the most disappointing cruise I have been on with Royal
Vicki Vaughan Alford wrote a review 5 Dec
Blue Ridge, Texas34 contributions1 helpful vote
We met up with friends in Galveston, and boarded the Allure of the Seas. This is a beautiful ship. The staff is well trained and organized to meet your every need. There’s something there for everyone from the food to the service, and this beautiful ship cannot be beat for an adventure for seven glorious days on the Caribbean! We chose an inside cabin for the first time. This inside cabin was amazing. We had a balcony that overlooked a beautiful green oasis called Central Park. Perfect for the early morning room, service, coffee, that’s free and a midnight sip of wine before turning into a soft, soft bed. Our friends had an inside room also and theirs overlooked the beautiful carousel, the rock, climbing wall, and the big screens that were forever showing fantastic stuff . We highly recommend it.
Bruce S wrote a review 4 Dec
Georgetown, United States3 contributions
We had sailed on the Allure of the Seas in 2012 when she was new with multiple family members. We had such a magnificent experience , probably because of the family factor, that we wanted to see if a repeat cruise without family would be as memorable. Galveston is our cruise port of choice since it is a short drive from our home, and we were very happy when the Allure was reallocated to our port. She (the ship) seems to have held up very well over the years even though she is not due now for upgrading until 2025. In essence, everything we loved about this vessel in 2012 is still evident in 2022. The multiple neighborhoods, as before, makes the overall experience seem less crowded, (except for the elevators and the Promenade) . Overall it does not seem like there are 5-7 thousand patrons as well as an additional 2 thousand plus staff on board. This ship is HUGE. Enjoy your journey.
Scott G wrote a review 4 Dec
The Woodlands, Texas38 contributions8 helpful votes
This is a beautiful oasis class ship (although it has been yet to be "amplified" to match other oasis class ships. in our sailing this boat loaded 6200 passengers, which was just too many to support the common areas where events /shows were held. To get a seat for events you often had to arrive 1-1.5 hours ahead of time, otherwise you were shut out, unless you wanted to stand throughout the event. The dining room was excellent in the quality of food, some of the best we have experienced. Maria, Bryan and Biswas were an excellent team that met all of dining needs daily. Because of the pool and outside activities being up on deck 15/16, many of the common event areas were on decks 4-8. Because these outer walls were lined with shopping stores, eating establishments, pubs and event theaters the ship felt more like a shopping mall in these areas, than a cruise ship. I won't say never, but it certainly would not be our first ship of choice for future sailings just due to the fact they are more interested in putting more people on board than they are concerned about your experience. By the way, to get more people on board, I had the smallest room that I have ever had on any cruise ship, no more wide than the bed, which could only be entered and exited from the foot of the bed. There was literally no room to even inch up the side of the bed.
Ann S wrote a review 2 Dec
1 contribution
Cabin seemed small at first, but come to find out, it is larger than most other cruise lines. In room there is a sofa, pull down bunk , if needed, dressing table/ desk, tv, mini-fridge, large closet with needed shelving. Bathroom tight but has shower w great water pressure. .Lots to do and great shows! We saw Mamma Mia, Singer from Jersey Boys, Diving show and stopped in to hear bands, karaoke.. missed comedy shows. I won a poker tournament-yahoo! I loved the park area on deck 8 with fine dining, shops, bar and then a cafe that’s all inclusive. Families can find hang out area in game room, computer lab, and there is a library. The new port is so wonderful easiest boarding and deembarking ever!