We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting to Pitcairn Island

Switzerland
Level Contributor
22 posts
1,584 reviews
1,589 helpful votes
Getting to Pitcairn Island
Save

Graham Wragge is to be commended for going to Pitcairn and some out of the way places like the Phoenix and Line islands. But be very careful about booking with him.

We had a reasonably good sailing with him in Feb. 2008 to Pitcairn but heard horror stories from others. The boat is a floating youth hostel with one shower/toilet but as long as you are prepared for that okay. Prices match the standards.

However, the state of the boat is not in good condition. Graham will send you New Zealand coast guard certificates if you ask him about this but he gets these in the Cook Islands where he lives so don't expect someone from Auckland to have certified the boat as okay. Graham was goingto have some updates made to the boat so check if this has been done.

Also, the crew is usually hired sight unseen and some have in the past thought this was a holiday for them and not provide service

Also, there is some trouble between Graham and some of the Pitcairn Islanders so make sure he gets his license to take people there renewed before you send over any money.

I was booked on a trip to go to the Phoenix and Line Islands in May 2009. I paid a 50% deposit in April 2008. In Sept. Graham wanted to change the dates to take in an equinox even though I advised him I had already booked my airfare. He got the other folks booked for May to commit to the new June dates and then said there was nobody else who wanted to go in May. Hhe did promise to refund me back in December. It's now nearly April and he has ignored all e-mails asking for my deposit to be refunded. So, don't hand over any money too far in advance or until you are sure the trip is confirmed or you might not get it back.

The New Zealand Commisioner will only say that "if you have been given these warnings, you should heed them about the Pacific Expeditions."

1. Re: Getting to Pitcairn Island

-:- Message from Tripadvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the Tripadvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 October 2009, 11:16
Get answers to your questions about Pitcairn Island
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Hong Kong. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.