We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Banana Fan Sea or The Library?

Oakville, Canada
Level Contributor
56 posts
169 reviews
225 helpful votes
Banana Fan Sea or The Library?
Save

Hi everyone

2 adults and 2 teens planning to visit Chaweng beach in Ko Samui for the first time in March 2023. After countless research, we are very torn between either the Banana Fan Sea Resort or the Library in their standard 2 bedroom villas (not the higher end fancy stuff!) having found very comparable and competitive nightly rates.

High on the list for us is the location and general beach/holiday vibe -specifically ease to town, local restaurants and attractions given this is our first visit, followed by the beach and pool. Breakfast at the hotel is of course important too with the Library seeming to offer a la carte vs buffet.

Any hints or tips to assist us in making a final decision would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks .

15 replies to this topic
Hobart, Australia
Level Contributor
3,530 posts
90 reviews
40 helpful votes
1. Re: Banana Fan Sea or The Library?
Save

I don't think you can go wrong with either, I haven't stayed at Banana but I know it's well recommended around here.

I have stayed at The Library though and it's a great place, definitely the breakfasts are fantastic, you can order a couple of things from a fairly large menu, and it includes healthy options. I think the location of The Library is also a bit better, as it is closer to Central mall and the busier end of Chaweng, so a shorter walk which can be great in the heat. The hotel has 2 good sized pools and the quirkiness of it is kinda cool with the whole literary theme.

Oakville, Canada
Level Contributor
56 posts
169 reviews
225 helpful votes
2. Re: Banana Fan Sea or The Library?
Save

Thank you for sharing your first hand experience! Both seem great and hence the tough choice. :-)

New Zealand
Level Contributor
784 posts
24 reviews
53 helpful votes
3. Re: Banana Fan Sea or The Library?
Save

Banana Fan would be my pick. We have stayed there many times and each time the place just gets better. Both resorts are reasonably close to each other. We had friends staying at the Library and there comment was that the place lacked atmosphere. Read the reviews for both on TA

Cape Town, South...
Level Contributor
625 posts
73 reviews
47 helpful votes
4. Re: Banana Fan Sea or The Library?
Save

We were a bit disappointed with Banana Fan - we had a standard room and found it a bit underwhelming.

We had stayed at Muang Samui the previous year - which has become much more expensive than when we stayed, but we wanted to try further down the beach. As it happened, the weather was such that the sea was rough for most of our time there. I think the rooms may have been refurbished since we stayed.

On the plus side, it has a good location, is close enough to walk to the lively area, but far enough away to be quiet at night.

Oakville, Canada
Level Contributor
56 posts
169 reviews
225 helpful votes
5. Re: Banana Fan Sea or The Library?
Save

Appreciate you sharing. Curious to know what was underwhelming (other than the stsndard rooms) at the Banana Sea?

Cape Town, South...
Level Contributor
625 posts
73 reviews
47 helpful votes
6. Re: Banana Fan Sea or The Library?
Save

TLZZE as I recall, the room we had was quite dark, it was ground floor with a small sitting area outside onto a walkway which had quite a lot of people and staff walking past. It was just not what we were hoping for.

I also recall that there was little shade at the pool so that wasn’t an option in the middle of the day.

Banana Fan gets great reviews, so lots of people enjoy it. We’re thinking of going to Chaweng again because it is such a beautiful place, but I wouldn’t consider staying there again unless in one of the beach front suites which did look nice.

Oakville, Canada
Level Contributor
56 posts
169 reviews
225 helpful votes
7. Re: Banana Fan Sea or The Library?
Save

Thank you so much for shedding more light- very helpful!

Edited: 29 January 2023, 00:04
Oakville, Canada
Level Contributor
56 posts
169 reviews
225 helpful votes
8. Re: Banana Fan Sea or The Library?
Save

Thanks!

Yes, after more research and reading reviews it seemed like the Library just lacked the charcter/beach resort vibe being all minimalistic giving Banana fan a slight edge in that category.

World
Destination Expert
for Thailand
Level Contributor
6,429 posts
162 reviews
160 helpful votes
9. Re: Banana Fan Sea or The Library?
Save

I know both many years - The Library is very cold - when you check the room you can see the marks of time. It looks very cool and minimalistic, you have to like the style - but I don't like it! In addition, there is an audience there, which I prefer not to address here in the forum.

Die Banana Fan Sea was very simple at the beginning, but after the big renovation, the rooms and villas are great! I recommend you the forward left seaview-villa - it is amazing!

Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
436 posts
100 reviews
50 helpful votes
10. Re: Banana Fan Sea or The Library?
Save

I was also considering Banan Fan Sea for our last June trip but ended up staying a few blocks furher.

We had lunch almost every day in the restaurant of Banana Fan Sea so we had the chance to check the property a bit.

The setting is nice in a lush garden but the buildings are quite close to each other and many of them facing to another buildings. The pool was small, and quite busy, it seemed a bit bigger on the pics. We are pool persons so we were happy to stay elsewhere.

The restaurant was quite good though, with both thai and western food and it everything we ate was nice.

Reply to: Banana Fan Sea or The Library?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Chaweng
Recent Conversations
© 2023 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Hong Kong. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.