We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

My Stewart, BC and Hyder, AK TripWow slideshow and TR

Adirondack, New York
Level Contributor
4,045 posts
86 reviews
288 helpful votes
My Stewart, BC and Hyder, AK TripWow slideshow and TR
Save

The town of Hyder in Alaska is isolated and very unique. It’s accessible by road only from Stewart, BC. Stewart is a distinctive border town attracting equally Americans and Canadians. We made arrangements to stay at the guest house in Stewart because of a full kitchen and washer/dryer. From Stewart it is a few minute drive on a paved road to Hyder where the pavement ends. Only on return one has to show passports at the border crossing.

Hyder, AK and Stewart, BC are located at the end of the Portland Canal and across from Alaska's Misty Fjords National Park. Portland Canal, a long fjord forming the border between the U.S. and Canada is at the southeastern edge of the Inside Passage. The tiny village of Hyder is located less than 2 miles from Stewart, BC by road, and 75 miles by air from the closest Alaskan town, Ketchikan. The only way to get to Hyder is to travel through Canada.

We learned some interesting facts about Hyder once we got there. One is that Hyder, AK is not using 907 area code of Alaska but 250 designated for British Columbia. The US currency can be used to pay for items in Stewart, BC and Canadian dollars in Hyder. Hyder like Stewart, BC operates on Pacific Time but the post office in Hyder runs on Alaskan time. You might think this is confusing? Not really as long as one is ready to be prepared to find these places closed at any time. We stopped at the small grocery store in Hyder to ask how long the place is going to be opened. The shop owner seems to be puzzled but said “I should be open to five-ish.” We returned around four-ish that afternoon and the store was closed. The time has a different meaning in Hyder.

Some visitors go to Hyder to be Hyderized. To received certificate of Hyderazition a person visiting the Last Chance Saloon or one other bar must drink a shot of 150 proof (75% alcohol) Everclear. We know we won’t be acquiring this certificate but then we became aware that Hyder had a period of prosperity when the Riverside Mine extracted gold, silver, copper, lead, zinc, and tungsten. The mine operated from 1924 until 1950. In 1948 the town, built on pilings, was destroyed by fire. By 1956, all major mining had closed. Today one hundred residents of Hyder depend on tourism, on visitors like us. We supported a local economy by visiting, on the first day, The Bus. We heard about this seafood place long before we arrived there. We had a great grilled salmon while our order of shrimp got substituted for some less acceptable seafood. Besides the Bus, two bars, and post office Hyder has a health clinic, a public library, cafes, motels, and a museum which was closed in July each time we tried to visit it.

The geographical uniqueness of Hyder took us there and also the bears fishing for salmon in the Salmon River. The Tongass National Forest Service built the observation platform from which bears can be observed http://tinyurl.com/d9dmuk5 The claim is that both brown and black bears visit the river. Well, during our visit after driving three miles from the village of Hyder on an extremely dusty road there were plenty people on the platform and no bears in the river. We learned from one person with gigantic camera lenses the day before after waiting for five hours he got a chance to photograph one bear. We concluded that was not our style of watching wildlife hence after about one hour we left. We didn’t have any regrets because with an interagency pass we did not have to pay the required fee between July 1st and September 30th of US $5.00 per person.

My Hyder TripWow …tripadvisor.com/tripwow/ta-036e-fde4-3b4f…

If anyone is planning to continue to AK and YT from Stewart, BC here are my two other TripWow slideshows

…tripadvisor.com/tripwow/ta-035d-9eaa-5832…

…tripadvisor.com/tripwow/ta-0379-227e-e4c2…

6 replies to this topic
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
78,222 posts
58 reviews
98 helpful votes
1. Re: My Stewart, BC and Hyder, AK TripWow slideshow and TR
Save

Some live links are going to be needed to view your TripWow, Places.

Adirondack, New York
Level Contributor
4,045 posts
86 reviews
288 helpful votes
2. Re: My Stewart, BC and Hyder, AK TripWow slideshow and TR
Save

Sorry, I have no idea what happened. Didn't have this problem before.

Trying one more time

http://tripwow.tripadvisor.com/tripwow/ta-036e-fde4-3b4f

http://tripwow.tripadvisor.com/tripwow/ta-0379-227e-e4c2

Edited: 9 years ago
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
78,222 posts
58 reviews
98 helpful votes
3. Re: My Stewart, BC and Hyder, AK TripWow slideshow and TR
Save

Very nice travelogue, Places. It's a beauty. The colours in your photos are fantastic, I particularly liked the scenes of the fields of flowers. Nature is an artist, for sure and creates great abstracts from those water runoff channels down the sides of the mountains.

Please consider adding a link to your thread in the BC TR Collection, first position on the BC Forum. Please identify your dates/season and the locations as well.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
3,161 posts
45 reviews
38 helpful votes
4. Re: My Stewart, BC and Hyder, AK TripWow slideshow and TR
Save

Thank you for sharing your pictures. I am guessing, from taking a peek at your posting history, that you approached the Yukon and Northern BC from Alaska?

Not many of us from southern BC have been that far north in our province. We used to have family in the Terrace/Prince Rupert area. In travelling out Highway 16 to visit them, we used to see the turn-off onto Highway 37 and the signs for Stewart. Despite best intentions, we never managed to detour up that way.

I loved the bear pictures from the Yukon/Haynes segment of your trip. You were able to get amazingly close to them.

Thanks again for the travelogue. As Mufti says, nature is surely an artist.

Adirondack, New York
Level Contributor
4,045 posts
86 reviews
288 helpful votes
5. Re: My Stewart, BC and Hyder, AK TripWow slideshow and TR
Save

Thank you both for checking out my slideshow and reading about my experiences. I agree with you the nature is a true artist here.

MuftiMixandmatch, as you suggested I added the link to the TR Collection.

Itchy, we actually visited Stewart/Hyder before traveling farther north. We entered Yukon from almost every possible direction. During our first road trip to Alaska in 2008 we entered BC and YT from the south since we used the Alaska ferry and arrived in Haines but then on the way back we took the Alaska Highway so we entered from the north. In 2011 was our fourth road trip to Alaska and once again we were entering YT, BC, AB, SK from the north. There is so much to see and admire in AK, BC, YT, AB, SK. I'm certain that one day when you're ready you too will plan your trip up north. There is a lot to see.

All pictures of bears we took in Haines and you're right we got really close to them but they couldn't care less about us being there. They are always too preoccupied with catching salmon.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
3,161 posts
45 reviews
38 helpful votes
6. Re: My Stewart, BC and Hyder, AK TripWow slideshow and TR
Save

Yes, Places, we may get further north yet. (I would like to fly up to Yellowknife during the winter sometime and see the northern lights.) Happy travels (and thanks again for posting)!

Edited: 9 years ago
Reply to: My Stewart, BC and Hyder, AK TripWow slideshow and TR
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Stewart
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Hong Kong. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.