We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Buying wine for shipping.

ireland
Level Contributor
164 posts
24 reviews
Buying wine for shipping.

We are in sarteano and loving it so much so that we are not going to Rome and staying here. We haven't come across anywhere

Nearby to taste and buy wine. Loved Orvieto and montepulciano but found the wine shops there incredibly expensive. Anyone recommend a local vine yard

If it does red and olive

Oil too that would be brilliant. I will write a review afterwards but we love this place.

4 replies to this topic
Montepulciano, Italy
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
Level Contributor
8,984 posts
7 reviews
1. Re: Buying wine for shipping.

The problem is, the smaller, less commercial the vineyard the less likely they are to offer affordable international shipping. Think about it, unless they have the volume, they won't be able to negotiate competitive rates with the courier companies. And when you see signs saying “free shipping”, it’s obvious that the cost is hidden in the price of the wine – though a surprising number of visitors haven’t figured that! Have you tried Gentili at Cetona / Piazze or Ravazzi at next door Palazzone? These are two of the larger local producers near you but, again, they may not offer cheap shipping. If you are going that way, try olive oil from Suzie’s Yard or even the wine shop in Cetona itself (on the main square). Have no idea whether either ship.

Am not surprised you like Sarteano, it's so unspoilt and local, isn't it? It also has several restaurants that are far, far better than anything in the better known towns and villages, better quality, more authentic, better value.

Edited: 29 June 2016, 13:07
Montepulciano, Italy
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
Level Contributor
8,984 posts
7 reviews
2. Re: Buying wine for shipping.

I stopped in Sarteano earlier this afternoon for a gelato at Gelateria Pegaso on my way back from Chiusi. There was an Irish family there (two blonde kids, boy & a girl) and I wondered whether it was you. If it wasn't, can highly recommend the ice cream there, best chocolate flavour I've eaten in years. And if it was you, I think your son judging by his chocolate covered chin will agree!

ireland
Level Contributor
164 posts
24 reviews
3. Re: Buying wine for shipping.

Hello

Could have been is but probably not because we have four kids, we haven't don't

Much in sarteano itself simply because the car goes back today and we have been trying to get 100% use of it. Not

Much luck on the wine front. Gentile unfortunately were so rude. May

Try Cwtona again this morning. There is another vineyard down the hill too that has signs up.

Thanks again for all advice.

ireland
Level Contributor
164 posts
24 reviews
4. Re: Buying wine for shipping.

Hello

Could have been us but probably not because we have four kids, we haven't done

Much in sarteano itself simply because the car goes back today and we have been trying to get 100% use of it. Not

Much luck on the wine front. Gentile unfortunately were so rude. May

Try Cwtona again this morning. There is another vineyard down the hill too that has signs up.

Thanks again for all advice.

Reply to: Buying wine for shipping.
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Sarteano