We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Camping Sarteano in June

ireland
Level Contributor
164 posts
24 reviews
Camping Sarteano in June

We are heading to Sarteano on 22nd June (can't wait we normally go to Sicily) So it will be a nice change - we feel the ages our kids are at we need a campsite. We have four children and I am shocked with the cost of car hire €1000 for 9 days for a 6/7 seater, I have thrawled the websites and can't seem to do anything cheaper. I drive a lot for work (my husband doesn't really drive - so two cars are out of the question) and we were wondering can we do without a car there? We will spend a lot of days around the pool relaxing and I guess one/two days visiting the sites of Tuscany. Can anyone recommend if this will work - its killing me to spend €1000 on a car. Also any good recommendations for family restaurants etc would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

9 replies to this topic
Montepulciano, Italy
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
Level Contributor
9,002 posts
7 reviews
1. Re: Camping Sarteano in June

I know Sarteano very well indeed as I have friends living in the village. Great choice, very local, not overrun with foreign tourists, some of the best quality and certainly best value restaurants in southern Tuscany - Gagliano, Tintori, Il Merlino - you can't go wrong at any of them. Where precisely are you camping? Town is on a bus route but the service isn't that frequent (3 or 4 times a day, max and at funny times too that are not always convenient for tourists. Bus goes to Cetona / Chiusi one way and Chianciano and possibly on to Montepulciano the other. That quote for the car is quite horrendous so may I urge you to post a separate question on the forum asking readers on the board to recommend the name of the car hire brokerage that offers the best deals as I don't know it off hand but there is one that is supposedly very good. (Or PM the Tuscany Expert, Peggy Patch, for she knows it.) I do feel you need a car in Sarteano if you are to make the most of the area and see the sights as you say you want to. Also, how are you going to get there without one, train to Chiusi and then taxi?

ireland
Level Contributor
164 posts
24 reviews
2. Re: Camping Sarteano in June

Thank you so much for your response Lastraneria, it sounds like exactly what we want - we normally go to Sicily to a very rural area where we are normally the only ones in the village speaking English, We don't like very touristy places at all and love local places with local food.

We originally were going to go to Castelvecchio di Preci and now have changed to spend the whole 9 days in Sarteano and then back to Rome to another campsite there. The campsite is Parco delle Piscine. I was thinking of the train from Rome to Chiusi and then a taxi ??? Wondering now is that crazy but the €1000 car hire is killing me !!! I will mail Peggy Patch also thank you so much. I am thinking if we can get there by train and 1-2 days either side with no car and return to Rome by train? Is the village self sufficient - are there local shops there where we can buy essentials?

Many thanks again

Shellie

Montepulciano, Italy
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
Level Contributor
9,002 posts
7 reviews
3. Re: Camping Sarteano in June

My goodness, yes, Sarteano is very much a living village with some very good small shops and a wonderful Friday market. If the camp site is by the swimming pool it will be lovely for that's open to the public and really beautiful - I don't think the kids will want to leave. Plenty of cabs at Chiusi Station, I wouldn't have thought it was more than Euros 25 - 30 but that's just a guess.

ireland
Level Contributor
164 posts
24 reviews
4. Re: Camping Sarteano in June

Perfect, that sounds like a plan, then still cheaper than €110 a day in a car and in any event I don't want to spend my holiday driving like I do everyday.

Thanks for all the assistance. I look forward to writing a review.

Shellie

Norwich, Norfolk, Uk
Level Contributor
8,671 posts
68 reviews
5. Re: Camping Sarteano in June

The broker Lastraniera was thinking of is www.auto-europe.co.uk but if you did find a better quote there then I really would only advise you to hire from europcar, hertz or avis. They do offer other (cheaper) providers, but they have terrible reputations for ripping people off in other ways. Car hire is really expensive and it sounds as though you have pretty much decided to do without a car now, but it may be worth a quick check of that website as having a car will provide you with so much more freedom.

ireland
Level Contributor
164 posts
24 reviews
6. Re: Camping Sarteano in June

Thanks yes I have had the same warnings with similar companies in Sicily and only go to one of them actually. Hopefully we will manage.

Thanks

london
3 posts
7. Re: Camping Sarteano in June

Hi, we are in Sarteano staying at the same campsite that you are visiting in June. We got a taxi from the station and it cost €25, it was very easy, campsite is wonderful! Only just arrived so can't get further feedback yet 😌

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
316 posts
525 reviews
8. Re: Camping Sarteano in June

If you do spend time exploring Sarteano itself, I recommend the Archeological Museum of Sarteano, which is a short walk from the campground. It is located in the center of town, and well worth an hour or so. The focus of the museum is the Etruscan history of the area. If interested, there is a larger Etruscan museum in Chiusi.

www.museosarteano.it/pagina1.php…

ireland
Level Contributor
164 posts
24 reviews
9. Re: Camping Sarteano in June

Thank you for all those updates we are still hoping to arrive by train and do without a car for a few days. We reckon hiring will still cost us approx 120/130 a day when you include petrol and reckon we can do it cheaper than that. The museum sounds amazing. Looking forward to hearing about campsite and sarteano plus surround.

Reply to: Camping Sarteano in June
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Sarteano