We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1st trip to Tuscany

Rohnert Park...
13 posts
Save Topic
1st trip to Tuscany

I have been to Italy's main spots, Venice, Rome & Florence Also Cinque Terre. But we have never driven or experienced the countryside of Italy. I would like to select an area like Tuscany or Umbria or others? to explore before meeting friends from Sweden in the Cinque Terre in June 2008. I am looking for some insight as to where to go, recomended easy driving routes, places that might be less crowded etc We have about a week and will be coming from Austria probably by Train, but could be car. I know a lot of you have done this many times, anyone have any advice for us?

Mentioned in this post
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Florence
Florence
Province of Florence, Italy
Cinque Terre
Cinque Terre
Italian Riviera, Italy
Italy
Italy
Europe
Umbria
Umbria
Italy
Austria
Austria
Europe
San Clemente...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires, Argentina
Level Contributor
12,688 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1st trip to Tuscany

f you would like to do part of Umbria and Tuscany then it's quite easy for that time of year. You can split your week between the two different areas such as pick Assisi(Umbria) to stay for 3 days then visit the towns around there for daytrips such as Perugia, Todi, and Orvieto. After that, you can pick for 4 days the area around Siena(Tuscany). Some nice towns to stay in are Siena, Greve, Radda, Castellina, Montalcino, SAn Gimignano. Pick one town then do daytrips to the other ones for beauty, wine tasting and delicious lunches.

For planning use www.viamichelin.com to get an idea of distance and travel time. For auto rental have a look at www.autoeurope.com.

You can,also take the train from Austria to this area then pick up your car at many of the towns mentioned.

Also, have a look at www.slowtrav.com and read some of their readers trips into this area;spelling out each day in the towns which I have mentioned. It's all very doable in one week without worries.

Enjoy!!

Mentioned in this post
Umbria
Umbria
Italy
Assisi
Assisi
Province of Perugia, Italy
Perugia
Perugia
Todi
Todi
Orvieto
Orvieto
Province of Terni, Italy
Siena
Siena
Province of Siena, Italy
Montalcino
Montalcino
Province of Siena, Italy
San Gimignano
San Gimignano
Province of Siena, Italy
Austria
Austria
Europe
Rohnert Park...
13 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 1st trip to Tuscany

Thank you for your great tips!

I will let you know what we end up doing, just starting the planning phase. Also do you have any experience with the agritourismo farm accomodations?

San Clemente...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires, Argentina
Level Contributor
12,688 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1st trip to Tuscany

All of my Italian cousins live on farms in Italy, so I have first hand experiences of staying on the farm,but Iam more of a city and beach person. However, I think you are interested in the established network of agriturismo properties. You can find many listings by doing a google search and there are a number of Italian publications which list them and the contacts.

Many people on this forum have posted their favorites so you might want to put that in the search bar above to start. Also, Iam sure that many people will share their experiences after reading this.

Have a look at the website www.greve-in-chianti.com to get an idea of this lovely area. There are many agriturismo properties in this area.

Enjoy!!

Mentioned in this post
Italy
Italy
Europe
4. Re: 1st trip to Tuscany

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 September 2009, 23:17
Get answers to your questions about Sarteano