We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting around Tuscany

Atlanta
1 post
Save Topic
Getting around Tuscany

My family of 7 (including kids and grandparents) are staying in Sarteano in June. Is it really NECESSARY to have a car there? or are there options for taxis etc to get us to the train station when necessary. Rental cars are so expensive in Europe!

Mentioned in this post
Europe
Europe
World
Montreal
Level Contributor
17,790 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting around Tuscany

Yes, it is really NECESSARY, unless you just want to stay in Sarteano the whole time. Tuscany is one of the regions least well served by trains; buses generally operate from villages to the closest larger town, to take children to school in the morning and bring them back in the early afternoon; there are no taxis in Tuscan villages.

Mentioned in this post
Saint Marys, Ohio
Level Contributor
8,871 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting around Tuscany

You don't HAVE to rent a car but I think you'll enjoy Tuscany more. Otherwise you are dependent on the bus and train schedules. The fun and freedom of driving through Tuscany, in my opinion, is what it's all about. Many of the towns have very poor or virtually no access to trains without driving for a while.

This is a fantastic trip of a lifetime from the way it sounds so why limit yourself because of a few extra dollars. I think you'll be glad you rented a car.

italybound@verizon.net

Mentioned in this post
Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
59 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting around Tuscany

I stayed in Sarteano for 10 days. You will definately want a car. If you are staying in the storico district you will have to park your car in a lot near the city center. I was too afraid to take it to the house, as the streets were skinny and there were hairpin turns that were not made for cars. Chiusi is about 10 mins and there is a train station and taxis. It is easy to drive in this region, in fact it was fun! The people in this town are wonderful, enjoy your stay...

Mentioned in this post
Chiusi
Chiusi
Province of Siena, Italy
4. Re: Getting around Tuscany

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 September 2009, 13:23
Get answers to your questions about Sarteano