We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Boston to Yellowstone Aug 2019

C P
Boston...
Level Contributor
11 posts
11 reviews
Boston to Yellowstone Aug 2019

I know it's a long time away but does anyone here have advice as to which city is best to fly into from Boston in late August 2019? I'm favoring Billings because we'd like to travel into the park via the Beartooth Hwy which I imagine is similar to Franconia Notch Pkway or Kancamagus Hwy. I realize that in park lodging should be reserved a year in advance but it's tough to do when I don't know which entrance will work out best. Also, since we want to visit Grand Teton too, has anyone ever flown into Billings or Bozeman and flown out of Jackson to avoid backtracking or is that too expensive? Thanks!

20 replies to this topic
Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, Savannah
Level Contributor
19,109 posts
95 reviews
1. Re: Boston to Yellowstone Aug 2019

Flying in and out of JAC is usually more expensive than other options and a one-way car rental is often more expensive.

It doesn't matter which airport you fly into as far as picking lodging in the park. You may have to stay out of the park, depending on your flight times.

You could fly into Billings, come in via the Beartooth, do one "side" of Yellowtone and then go down into the Tetons. Then back up through Yellowstone and exit the north entrance back to Billings.

That's why I do most of the time.

Edited: 18 September 2018, 05:23
Madison, WI
Level Contributor
10,015 posts
66 reviews
2. Re: Boston to Yellowstone Aug 2019

Beartooth is not the is not the least bit similar to the Kanc or Notch Parkway...about 9000ft. higher at about 11000ft. and way above timberline. I used to live and taught wilderness programs in NH and love the state. Many people fly into Billings and Bozeman and drop off in Jackson. Rental rates vary...sometimes I've seen one-ways cheaper the R/T. You could do Beartooth and Chief Joseph regardless what town you fly into. How much time do you have? Most people do 4 nights Yellowstone and 3 nights Tetons. Those out of park trips would add a little time. You could also fly into Jackson first, see the Tetons and drop off north of Yellowstone in Bozeman. Shop airfares for best deals. I suggest you drive Chief Joseph Byway as well. You could do both the same day from Red Lodge or Cody.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcAa9nAc2Ro

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Revie…

https:/…e333bd12c105c50aabd0afa9806630af.jpg

C P
Boston...
Level Contributor
11 posts
11 reviews
3. Re: Boston to Yellowstone Aug 2019

Thank you. Actually, the more I look at it, I'm thinking that may be our plan too. I called one of the rental car companies and found that they imposed a $400 charge if we return to a different location but it's so far away, I'll keep looking for options.

It seems to matter which airport we come into to pick lodging since it's already going to be at least a 6 hour flight but I was thinking the same thing about our flight times so I wondered if staying in Silver Gate was a good idea. That way we could stock up on groceries in Billings, do the Beartooth and get a good night's rest before heading into the park.

Has anyone had experience with staying outside the northeast entrance?

Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, Savannah
Level Contributor
19,109 posts
95 reviews
4. Re: Boston to Yellowstone Aug 2019

Yes. Lots of us. What's your question? I'm a fan of Cooke City.

Don't do the Beartooth if your flight arrives in mid-afternoon or later.

C P
Boston...
Level Contributor
11 posts
11 reviews
5. Re: Boston to Yellowstone Aug 2019

Thanks for the links! I realize that Beartooth is much higher and challenging to drive than our roads in NH. I guess I just meant it was a scenic byway but I didn't realize the Chief Joseph was so beautiful. We're planning to have about 8 days and I figured 5-6 at YNP and 2-3 at GTNP but with those incredible roads, maybe now we'll consider a day outside the park. I was given the matrix website for watching airline deals but do you or anyone have a suggestion for monitoring car rental rates as I imagine a more expensive SUV is the best choice for handling the mountain roads?

C P
Boston...
Level Contributor
11 posts
11 reviews
6. Re: Boston to Yellowstone Aug 2019

Thank you for that suggestion! I think my most important question is if Cooke City or Silver Gate make a good base to see Lamar Valley and Mammoth Hot Springs or does it take too long to drive from there? I've seen so many negative reviews about the value of Xanterra lodging and I wondered if a couple of days outside the gate would be ok? I've seen some good choices from Silver Gate Lodging. But, I don't know whether to consider it if it cuts into our sightseeing/hiking too much...

Worcester...
Level Contributor
842 posts
6 reviews
7. Re: Boston to Yellowstone Aug 2019

I fly from Boston every year. Billings or Bozeman is fine. I wouldn't do the Beartooth on your entrance day. There is no room for error trying to pack that into a flight day. Cooke City or Silvergate are both great for Lamar. I've stayed in both several times. I never fly into JAC, simply because it's so much more expensive, flights and usually car rental.

Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, Savannah
Level Contributor
19,109 posts
95 reviews
8. Re: Boston to Yellowstone Aug 2019

Lots of people stay outside the park to see Yellowstone.

SUV or sedan = either will be fine

Try kayak.com to see price comparisons

Madison, WI
Level Contributor
10,015 posts
66 reviews
9. Re: Boston to Yellowstone Aug 2019

I use Costco for car rentals. You can monitor, book a car, and cancel and re-book as the price goes down. Look at Red Lodge as an overnight city if you fly into Billings. Beautiful town and literally at the start of Beartooth.

https://www.costcotravel.com/h=4005

http://www.redlodge.com/

C P
Boston...
Level Contributor
11 posts
11 reviews
10. Re: Boston to Yellowstone Aug 2019

That's really helpful to know. What price range do you find the tickets at when you finally book from Boston? How long do you book them out? Thanks.

Reply to: Boston to Yellowstone Aug 2019
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted