We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Let’s eat!!

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
69 posts
6 reviews
Let’s eat!!

One week to go and I don’t have dinner reservations locked down yet except for hubbys bday dinner at the Lake Hotel.

So.. can someone can jump on here and let me know where we should eat. We’re staying 3 nights at OF and 3 at Canyon. We plan on hiking, sightseeing and eating out of our backpack since neither one of us eat that much during the day so at night, we want to spend our money on good eats not on expensive food. We’re not picky and like everything. Give us your favorites in YS

8 replies to this topic
Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, Savannah
Level Contributor
19,806 posts
95 reviews
1. Re: Let’s eat!!

Yellowstone's food is not that good. Definitely not as good as the food in the Tetons.

I like lunch at the Dining Room at Mammoth.

I like the grill at the old Hamilton Store next to the Old Faithful Inn.

The food at Canyon is mixed. I usually eat at the "cafeteria" (the name changes from year to year it seems. Basic, but good. I often order trout and it was very good there - as it was at Mammoth and at the Log Cabin Cafe in Silver Gate. If you are driving up into the Lamar Valley, go on to Cooke City and/or Silver Gate to eat lunch or an early dinner. Be sure to be back at Canyon before dark!

I love the bar next to the Dining Room at Old Faithful Inn. Good bar food, especially the burgers - both regular and bison.

I always eat once at the Dining Room at OFInn. Lots of people complain about the food there. I've always had good meals.

The rest of the park? Grab what you can. Nothing is great. There are quick options at the general stores if you want to grab and go.

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
25,220 posts
112 reviews
2. Re: Let’s eat!!

There are 2 companies in the park that provide food. Xanterra, the lodging concessioner does the food in the lodging areas. Delaware North does the food in the General Stores.

In the Canyon area I ate at the Wok place a couple of weeks ago. It was actually quite good which shocked me. The line was chaotic - I asked for a *go-box* and it took my server about 10 minutes to find one. I just stepped back and let the family behind me go thru after apologizing. The Dad laughed and said "It's like this every night". The veggies were cooked tender crisp and the spicy peanut sauce was very tasty. The other food stations were Fast Slow Food and the M66 place and maybe another place?

M66 is billed as sit down dining and altho I did not walk to that end of the room the ambiance is zero. This link gives you a picture of the room where all the Xanterra dining options are. If you look down toward the end of the room behind the woman in the brown shirt, that is the M66 place - still has stools and plastic chairs from what I could see. Basically the style of elementary school cafeteria, lol. I DO get it is supposed to be a Mission 66 theme but unfortunately for those of us who remember that decorative style the first time around they missed.

There is a grill in the Canyon General store but I've not eaten there in years. Most of the Delaware North grill food is pretty consistent from place to place and is pretty good so that might be a possibility as well.

In the OF area, I can tell you to skip the OF Lodge Cafeteria. I didn't eat there this year but I did a walk thru to see if they had improved the selection in the area where they have the teriyaki bowl since the Wok place at Canyon was actually really good. Unfortunately no...still service the same frozen broccoli/Cauli/carrot mix cooked to a gray, mushy texture. Yum.

Snow Lodge's Obsidian Room was good this year. I generally eat at what is now called the Lower General Store. If you are in the geyser basin facing OF Inn, it's to the right. The grill there is pretty good. Service was quicker this year than last year altho a friend had a sorry experience with breakfast. Historically the main part of this building is one of the older buildings still standing in the area. Many like the OF Inn...just too busy for me. I think people like their breakfast buffet as well but that doesn't work for me.

BTW, I'm vegan so take my recommendations for what they're worth, lol!

Have a terrific time!

Pam

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
35,215 posts
508 reviews
3. Re: Let’s eat!!

Lake hotel restaurant and OF inn dining room get my vote.

Ice Cream at Canyon and OF inn. Try the huckleberry.

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
69 posts
6 reviews
4. Re: Let’s eat!!

Thanks everyone for your favorite food picks!!

I’ll toast you all for helping me out with my questions here on TA when we’re in YSNP next week.

It’s been a real treat having people reach out as we navigate our plans in this majestic park.

Thanks for your time and input.

Level Contributor
634 posts
7 reviews
5. Re: Let’s eat!!

Miners Bar in Cooke City for pizza and the special of the day...Whatever it is. They know what they are doing in that kitchen. Cold Smoke (KettleHouse Brewery Missoula Mt) on tap as well.

Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, Savannah
Level Contributor
19,806 posts
95 reviews
6. Re: Let’s eat!!

If we are doing outside the park, stop at the Bearclaw Bakery in Cooke City. We enjoyed eating dinner at the Bistro. And the Log Cabin Cafe in Silver Gate is good too, especially for breakfast.

Morris County, New...
Level Contributor
79 posts
69 reviews
7. Re: Let’s eat!!

The food and/or the service is shaky in almost all places. Lake dining room had better food for dinner and a nightmare of a waiter, mentioned that his pain meds hadn't kicked in when he handed us the check after a less than stellar service. We won't be forgetting him. Lunch the next day, great server, but the trout wasn't that special. The dining room at the OLd Faithful Inn was suspect in all ways, including them trying to sit us next to the buffet, which we didn't want at all. The grill cheese at the grill in canyon was good, but my husband hated the burger. M66 the food was actual very good, but that place needs Gordon Ramsay to come in and do it over. We did go into Gradiner one day and had lunch at the Iron horse Bar and grill - that was fun and we both liked the food. Tetons have much better food. Good luck!

Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, Savannah
Level Contributor
19,806 posts
95 reviews
8. Re: Let’s eat!!

"Tetons have much better food."

MUCH!

Reply to: Let’s eat!!
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted