We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Yellowstone, Glacier Parks

Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Yellowstone, Glacier Parks

I am planning a tour next June for 2 to 3 weeks. Flying from the north of England allows me to fly to Salt Lake City or Calgary . Are there any advantages or disadvantages to either entry point. Fuller itinerary ideas would be welcome. We are 70 years old ,but take long hikes in both UK and the Alps regularly so we are relatively fit!

14 replies to this topic
Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
34,715 posts
505 reviews
1. Re: Yellowstone, Glacier Parks

If this is a one way deal where you fly out of a different city then no to Calgary because of rental car situation.

June is great for Yellowstone and hopefully include the Tetons which are awesome too.

The famous GTTSR thru Glacier is usually not open until late June or early July depending on snow pack and still many trails can be closed due to snow or bear activity there.

I would look at moving this to mid June or 3rd week of June and do Yellowstone and Tetons and then do Glacier so you can fully enjoy all the national parks.

Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
2. Re: Yellowstone, Glacier Parks

Thanks for that. I was not looking at open jaw flights but returning to arrival point. Is car rental from Canada any cheaper or more expensive than SLC .Are there any border problems entering USA from Canada?

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
34,715 posts
505 reviews
3. Re: Yellowstone, Glacier Parks

Cannot take rental cars from Canada and drop off in US.

Join us on road trip forum where many of us have experience with this kind of trip.

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
24,850 posts
112 reviews
4. Re: Yellowstone, Glacier Parks

I'd go with SLC. The direct flight from LHR to SLC is just great altho I see you mention flying from the North of England and there's not a direct flight to SLC from Manchester if that's what you are looking for. Immigration at SLC is pretty easy, usually only 1 plane load at a time so no real back up like you get in a bigger arrival point such as Heathrow. Of course my experience has only been as a US Passport holder.

It's a 5-5.5 hour drive from SLC to Jackson (for Grand Tetons) or West Yellowstone (for entry to Yellowstone). Then if you did Glacier last as PeachBelle suggests, it is a full day's drive back to SLC.

I understand it's a fairly easy crossing from US/Canada or back. I'd post questions about this on the Road Trips forum as 2 of the Destination Experts there are UK residents.

https:/…ShowForum-g1-i12567-Road_Trips.html

Here is one suggestion of many on how to structure your trip. I do recommend at least 4 nights in Yellowstone and 2 or 3 nights in Grand Tetons. I think the Glacier forum folks generally suggest 2 nights on the east side, 2 nights on the west side. More is better, lol!

1 Arrive in SLC. If it's the end of an international flight, I'd drive a bit north of SLC and overnight there.

2 Drive to Jackson, overnight their or Grand Tetons

3 Overnight same

4 Overnight same

5 Overnight Canyon or Lake Village area

6 Overnight same

7 Overnight Cody WY

8 Drive Chief Joseph scenic highway and Beartooth Highway (out to Rock Creek Vista and back), then enter Yellowstone at the NE entrance. Overnight Roosevelt Lodge cabins OR Mammoth OR Gardiner

9 Overnight Old Faithful

10 Overnight Old Faithful

11 Depart West entrance, head to the east side of Glacier

12 Overnight same

13 Overnight west side of Glacier

14 Overnight same

15 Drive back part of the way to SLC, overnight Idaho Falls

16 Depart SLC unless you have an AM flight, then you'd want to go back to SLC and overnight closer

Here is a long Trip Report from francesb who is also visited from UK. It's in 2 parts and her visit was 2017.

Grand Teton portion + arrival in SLC:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g14302…

Yellowstone portion:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60999…

Pam

Jackson, Wyoming
Level Contributor
1,365 posts
5. Re: Yellowstone, Glacier Parks

If you truly like to hike two weeks is not enough time for both ecosystems and I generally suggest a month for both to my more ative friends. Grand Teton has among the finest of hiking, don't relegate to a drive-by like far to many do. Do you have any plans for the stellar hiking in the Wind River, Gros Ventre, or Absaroka Ranges? It is exponentially easier to summit an 11,000'+ peak n the southern Absaroka Range East of Grand Teton National Park than anywhere else in the ecosystem and I've seen octogenarians do it with relative ease.

Remember the two National Parks are only about 15% of Greater Yellowstone. If you would like far more detailed hiking info on the southern half of the GYE please let me know and I'll message a photo link , etc.

Whatever you do may the trail rise to meet you!

Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
6. Re: Yellowstone, Glacier Parks

Thanks a lot for your really helpfully reply . Any suggestions for accommodation, we are happy with motels and chain hotels, for example in our last trip to USA we were comfortable with motel 6 but that was 20 years ago and we have a bit more money now!But we are from Yorkshire which is notorious for being parsimonious (amongst other things)

Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
7. Re: Yellowstone, Glacier Parks

Thanks for your tips. We haven't done any detailed planning yet, but likely idea of quieter hikes in Grand Teton, suggestions welcomed

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
34,715 posts
505 reviews
8. Re: Yellowstone, Glacier Parks

Staying in the parks is awesome for views and less driving.

https:/…

In Tetons look at Signal Mt lodge or Colter Bay.

In Glacier look at Lake McDonald and Many Glacier areas.

There of course is lodging at all park entrances if desire TV, etc.

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
24,850 posts
112 reviews
9. Re: Yellowstone, Glacier Parks

For in-park lodging, use ONLY the link PeachBelle gave you. Do NOT book this thru a 3rd party as they charge a 10% booking fee and have horrible cancellation policies. Unfortunately if you google Yellowstone lodging the first sites that come up are the awful 3rd party ones not the Xanterra one PeachBelle gave you the link for.

The least expensive lodging in the Yellowstone area is IN the park. They are the cabins with shared baths which are around $100/night plus tax. These are in the Old Faithful area (look at the Old Faithful Lodge cabins or OF Inn shared bath rooms), Roosevelt area and Mammoth area. They will all specifically say "shared baths".

Don't forget in the US tax is usually not quoted in the basic rate so can add $20-$30 onto your final fee. Sometimes visitors think they are being ripped off but it's just the way things are done. There is no standard tax rate as states, counties and cities have the ability to levy tax.

BTW, the Xanterra website is NOT user friendly so poke around a bit. People also started booking last May for next summer. Don't panic if things look booked. There is a lot of movement in the vacancies particularly starting after New Years when people really start looking at their summer vacation plans.

Once you've got your lodging in place we are happy to give you suggestions for daily itineraries and hikes.

Pam

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
34,715 posts
505 reviews
10. Re: Yellowstone, Glacier Parks

Glacier has several different companies like you will find for the Tetons for in park lodging.

https:/…eatingsleeping.htm

https:/…lodging.htm

Just a note about the Tetons- Headwaters in most opinions is not a good option.

Edited: 15 September 2018, 02:23
Reply to: Yellowstone, Glacier Parks
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted