We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

input appreciated - one eve and one night in the city

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
22 posts
8 reviews
7 helpful votes
input appreciated - one eve and one night in the city
Save

Hi there! i'm going to be making a quick detour to experience a bit if cincinatti on my way to michigan from dc - i'll only have one evening and a few hours in the morn (this friday and sat). rather than any tourist attractions (though if anything really magnificent/unique to cincy, i'm down) i'd love to experience the town as the locals do while i'm there. i was thinking i'd take some time in the early eve to check out the small riverfront park and in the morn to visit findlay market (how does that sound? i'm on a very tight budget so not looking to shop really or eat anywhere fancy.) any recommendations for a good place to get some cincinatti chili for dinner and a local bar i should visit to get a true feel for cincinatti and meet the local folks? preferably someplace that gets folks in their 30s or older.. if i have time would love to also walk around and check out a quintessential nightlife neighborhood safe for a solo female visitor, if any recommendations for that as well. thanks much for any input!

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
22 posts
8 reviews
7 helpful votes
1. Re: input appreciated - one eve and one night in the city
Save

sorry the subject line should have said one eve and one MORN in the city. and sorry re any typos. in terms of the bar to meet locals, if it might have cool local live music even better! (though not nec)

thanks!

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,799 posts
29 reviews
10 helpful votes
2. Re: input appreciated - one eve and one night in the city
Save

I assume you are staying downtown, so for such a short stay (and traveling solo) I would recommend visiting the establishments at the Banks and Fountain Square.

Cincinnati
Level Contributor
834 posts
5 reviews
8 helpful votes
3. Re: input appreciated - one eve and one night in the city
Save

FindlayMarket is good for a Saturday morning visit. Its nothing spectacular but rather like one of the city markets in Baltimore although with less emphasis on fish and more on pork. Grab a cup of coffee and try one of the sweets offered by BlueOven Bakery (there are of a very high quality) and eat outside. As for mingling on a Friday night, try out some of the spots in the GatewayQuarter/Over-the-Rhine (stick to the main routes along or very near Vine St.. Starting either there or at the aforementioned Banks you can buy an all-day streetcar pass for $2. Some of the bars/restaurants will be impossibly crowded but not all of them. With re to Cincy chili: both Sklinechili and GoldStarchili are chains with multiple outlets all over the region meaning nothing (or very little) is actually made in the chili parlors themselves but as a non-native you may not notice. Both are good choices and may I suggest an "inverted 5-way" (spaghetti, beans, onions and cheese with the chili spooned overtop . . . and don't forget the hot sauce and oyster crackers.

You might goes as far as the Rhinegeist brewery (don't walk but take the streetcar) and perhaps you can squeeze your way into a game of cornhole (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cornhole) - and with a beer in one hand and a beanbag in the other, you will be very Cincinnati.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
22 posts
8 reviews
7 helpful votes
4. Re: input appreciated - one eve and one night in the city
Save

thank you for the recs! i'll def try the baked goods and inverted 5-way, sound delicious, getting hungry thinking about it! though i'll have to pass on the hot sauce and hope they'll have a nonspicy version since i unfort cannot handle spicy food at all. was a bit surprised to find that the recommended spots for chili look a bit like diners/fast food joints - really the best chili in the city??

where/what is "Banks?" tried to look up but wasnt able to find here or on google maps. i yelped some spots around OTR (thanks for that rec) and was thinking of EagleOTR, salazar, or sundry and vice, and blind lemon in mcadams also looked interesting. not sure if its against TA policy to recommend/discuss specific spots (understand if so) but otherwise would appreciate any input on whether or not those fit what im looking for in terms of neighborhood-y, friendly local bars. i'll be airbnb-ing north of findlay market - could i drive to and park around OTR and walk from there or is there somewhere further out i should park and then try to get the streetcar? is mcadams safe enough to park and walk in?

thank you :)

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
22 posts
8 reviews
7 helpful votes
5. Re: input appreciated - one eve and one night in the city
Save

oh and if findlay market not particularly remarkable, any other recs for sat morn instead that are unique to Cincinnati? thanks!

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
22 posts
8 reviews
7 helpful votes
6. Re: input appreciated - one eve and one night in the city
Save

*mt. adams* :)

Cincinnati
Level Contributor
834 posts
5 reviews
8 helpful votes
7. Re: input appreciated - one eve and one night in the city
Save

If you just have one evening I wouldn't bother with Mt. Adams. It is a very charming neighborhood but in my opinion is best visited in the daylight. (This of N.Ky from Eden Park/Mt. Adams may or may not work as a link

https://goo.gl/maps/hZdduW9h4Cn

The Blind Lemon is a cool bar but quite expensive and not worth the drive just to visit it.

If you are staying north of OTR then you will want to either take a bus or drive downtown. There is convenient parking underground at Washington Park garage https://goo.gl/maps/tbx5iY1aSdp.

The Banks is an area of bars, apartments and office buildings and a museum located along the riverfront between PaulBrownStadium and Gt. AmericanBallpark

The Eagle has good food (at least their chicken is good as I don't care for their sides) and one person may be able to squeeze in at the bar but it will be ridiculously crowded otherwise with 2 hour waits for a table on a Friday night. Just across the street is PontiacBBQ (a good choice with a few cheap beers along with the overpriced gimmick beers). In this area probably best to wander a bit and to pop in somewhere that looks inviting.

Edited: 4 years ago
Any Beach
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach, North Myrtle Beach, West Virginia
Level Contributor
15,473 posts
164 reviews
139 helpful votes
8. Re: input appreciated - one eve and one night in the city
Save

The Banks.....

http://cincinnatiusa.com/things-to-do/attractions/banks

http://thebankscincy.com/

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
5,358 posts
262 reviews
286 helpful votes
9. Re: input appreciated - one eve and one night in the city
Save

We're all assuming you're staying downtown so I'll suggest stopping at one of the chili parlors for dinner to sample Cincinnati chili Friday evening, then a walk along the riverfront with a stop at Moerlein Hager House but if you really want to sample a local bar try the City View Tavern in Mt. Adams, a haunt for young professionals living on the hill, or the Incline Public House in Price Hill - neither is far from downtown and both have a view but a cab would be needed but not an expensive ride. OMalley's in the Alley is another option downtown not far from the hotels.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
22 posts
8 reviews
7 helpful votes
10. Re: input appreciated - one eve and one night in the city
Save

thank you all so much for taking the time to provide your input - much appreciated!!

Get answers to your questions about Cincinnati
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Hong Kong. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.