We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Salem in October - Visit on a Weekend or weekday?

Lafayette, Louisiana
3 posts
Salem in October - Visit on a Weekend or weekday?
Save

We are planning a trip to the Boston area the 19-26 of October. We wanted to spend a day or two in Salem. Would it be better to visit during the weekdays, it would be Wednesday-Friday option, or fight the crowds and do the the weekend? It will be myself, my husband, and our 10 month old (pray for us 😂). Just wondering if they’ll be things to do during the week or if all the action is on the weekends. We will be traveling in from Boston by car or possibly the train or we might grab a room nearby Salem like Peabody or Danvers. Please don’t be overly negative, I know it will be a struggle with an infant but we were avid travelers before having a baby and would like to continue our adventures! Thanks!

5 replies to this topic
Boston...
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
31,644 posts
64 reviews
45 helpful votes
1. Re: Salem in October - Visit on a Weekend or weekday?
Save

If you want to drive go on a weekday or it could take hours to get there (even from Peabody or Danvers).

If you are travelling by train, it does not matter as much.

North Shore, MA
Destination Expert
for Salem
Level Contributor
6,850 posts
173 reviews
183 helpful votes
2. Re: Salem in October - Visit on a Weekend or weekday?
Save

With a 10-month old, I think a weekday will be much more comfortable for you than a weekend with heavy crowds. There should be plenty of Halloween atmosphere on a weekday, especially that late in the month. If you haven't had a chance to look at the Haunted Happenings calendar to see what's going on each day, here's a link to the website:

https://www.hauntedhappenings.org/events/2021-10/

Lafayette, Louisiana
3 posts
3. Re: Salem in October - Visit on a Weekend or weekday?
Save

Thank you, we will check it out!

Lafayette, Louisiana
3 posts
4. Re: Salem in October - Visit on a Weekend or weekday?
Save

Thanks!

Boston...
Level Contributor
9,295 posts
1 review
1 helpful vote
5. Re: Salem in October - Visit on a Weekend or weekday?
Save

The PEM is closed on Wed and you might want to double check any other museum you might be interested in.......but otherwise, actually liking crowds is the only reason I can think of to choose the weekend.

Although I suppose you could play it by ear if there is a significant difference in weather and go to Salem on the better day(s) if you'd rather have a good day in Salem as opposed to where you'd be otherwise.

Reply to: Salem in October - Visit on a Weekend or weekday?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Salem
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Hong Kong. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.