We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay after Mesa Verde-- Durango or Pagosa Springs?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
4 posts
37 reviews
43 helpful votes
Where to stay after Mesa Verde-- Durango or Pagosa Springs?
Save

We are driving to Mesa Verde National Park and seeing as much as we can in one day (will definitely do tour of Cliff Palace). After that, we'd like to get some driving miles in, heading towards Santa Fe. I was planning to try to make it all the way to Pagosa Springs for the baths, but Durango also sounds fun and charming (and much closer). For anyone who has done a similar trip-- which town do you think would be more fun to spend the night, Durango or Pagosa Springs (for a family of four with two boys, ages 9 and 11)? And/or do you think we should just opt for the closer choice of Durango because we'll be wiped out from a day at Mesa Verde? We'd make the drive to Santa Fe the next day. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Far View Lodge
Far View Lodge
#1 of 1 hotels in Mesa Verde National Park
Mesa Verde Motel
Mesa Verde Motel
#1 of 3 hotels in Mancos
Retro Inn at Mesa Verde
Retro Inn at Mesa Verde
#1 of 16 hotels in Cortez
WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
13,099 posts
152 reviews
158 helpful votes
1. Re: Where to stay after Mesa Verde-- Durango or Pagosa Springs?
Save

What time will you plan to arrive at Mesa Verde? How far are you driving to get there? I imagine you'll be ready for dinner, maybe a dip in a hotel pool and then bedtime after a full day of driving and visiting Mesa Verde, so I'd probably vote for Durango.

I don't know what the rest of your itinerary looks like, but with 2 young boys, I'm betting you will wish you had another day in/around Durango.

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
25,660 posts
423 reviews
214 helpful votes
2. Re: Where to stay after Mesa Verde-- Durango or Pagosa Springs?
Save

Really need to know more about your Mesa Verde day. Are you overnighting at the park or driving in? That makes a huge difference in terms of your time there, getting tickets, etc.

Durango and Pagosa Springs are quite different. With Durango, you have a much more developed town with more restaurants, shops, etc. It's more of a small city where Pagosa is a small town. In Pagosa, you have the hot springs which are a huge attraction. The Springs Resort is excellent for ease of access to the hot springs.

But the real decision is when you can leave Mesa Verde and that depends on your arrival plan. For example, if you're coming in from Moab, it will be a long day.

Have fun.

3. Re: Where to stay after Mesa Verde-- Durango or Pagosa Springs?

-:- Message from Tripadvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the Tripadvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 January 2018, 14:17
Get answers to your questions about Mesa Verde National...
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Hong Kong. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.