We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Avoiding I-85 driving to Emory Hospital

Lavonia, Georgia
1 post
Avoiding I-85 driving to Emory Hospital

We have to drive to Emory Transplant Center quite often and I am terrified of traffic on 85. We start our journey in Lavonia, GA. I would like to drive through residential areas rather than get into the heavy traffic on I-85 after entering Atlanta area. There has to be a way.

4 replies to this topic
Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, Savannah
Level Contributor
19,767 posts
95 reviews
1. Re: Avoiding I-85 driving to Emory Hospital

Go to Athens and then Snellville and come in via 78.

It will add at least 30 minutes to your drive.

Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, Savannah
Level Contributor
19,767 posts
95 reviews
2. Re: Avoiding I-85 driving to Emory Hospital

I read your post again - "rather than get into the heavy traffic on I-85 after entering Atlanta area."

You can take 85 to 285 when you reach Atlanta and then come in via 78 as in the option above.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
6,816 posts
17 reviews
3. Re: Avoiding I-85 driving to Emory Hospital

"heavy traffic on I-85 after entering Atlanta area"

Where exactly do you consider to be the start of the "Atlanta area"? I-285? Something closer in or further out? This is important to know because it dictates where you pull off the interstate. Personally I would avoid I-285 on the east side - I live over that way and traffic is almost always bad (not as bad as on the north side, but pretty close).

If you want to stay off the interstates altogether, use Google Maps and select the option to "Avoid Highways" - https://goo.gl/maps/JDcrWfJDP2F2

-JimG

Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, Savannah
Level Contributor
19,767 posts
95 reviews
4. Re: Avoiding I-85 driving to Emory Hospital

If you want to avoid interstates completely, use the directions in #1.

I made regular trips into Emory for two years and took the 285 E route that I described. A few times I drove up to 85 and back down to Clairmont, but that's what you are trying to avoid.

Reply to: Avoiding I-85 driving to Emory Hospital
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Atlanta