We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

July Itinerary Help

Level Contributor
5 posts
7 reviews
July Itinerary Help

Hello!

This is my rough itinerary for a first time trip to Seattle and Oregon this July. I won't be renting a car and will be traveling solo. I'm looking for a mixture of seeing city sights/exploration and some time around nature relaxing.

Sat evening - fly into Portland - hotel in Portland

Sun - bus to Cannon Beach in the morning (2 or 3 nights)

Tuesday - bus back to Portland, then train to Seattle (heavy travel day)

Tuesday evening to Friday - Seattle (2 or 3 nights) - fly out of Seattle

QUESTIONS: I love the pictures I've seen of Cannon Beach and the fact I can get there on public transit. It seems like a nice place to unwind near the beach for a few days.

But I don't want to be over scheduled and I'm debating whether I should forget the Oregon portion of the trip and just stay in WA.

Any advice? Any alternatives to Cannon Beach that keep me in WA, reduce the travel, and give me some R&R time?

Thanks in advance!

Poulsbo, Washington
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park
Level Contributor
11,759 posts
8 reviews
1. Re: July Itinerary Help

Cannon Beach IS a very pretty spot, but keep in mind it gets very busy in Summer given its proximity to Portland. If you do decide to spend a couple of days there make sure you do not travel there on a Friday or Saturday. The traffic to the Coast can be terrible. I was there last July, but further South where it was less crowded. Of course I had my car. This is a lot of effort just to get to one place for a couple of days. The problem is Washington has nothing on its Coast to compare with Cannon Beach. Too bad you are unwilling to rent a car as that gives you so many options. Here is one suggestion. Fly in and out of Seattle. Take a one day tour to Mt. Rainier National Park. It is beautiful up there! Then why not take the Victoria Clipper to the San Juan Islands and stay in lovely Friday Harbor. You could spend a day riding the ferry between Islands. Another day you could spend on a whale watching cruise looking for Orcas. Look at some photos of the San Juan Islands and see what you think. They are a great destination. It is not the Ocean, but they are quite special.

London, United...
Level Contributor
987 posts
52 reviews
2. Re: July Itinerary Help

Any chance of more time in Portland ? It's a great place

Level Contributor
5 posts
7 reviews
3. Re: July Itinerary Help

@glaciermeadows this definitely looks like a good alternative. Thanks so much for the idea of Friday Harbor. This looks like a beautiful area and would still provide my nature fix. I'm seeing day tours to both Olympic Park and Mt. Rainier...if I choose one, which do you recommend?

@NLBLondon I could add a day to tour around Portland, but am hesitant to try and fit too much in.

Palm Springs...
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
20,339 posts
112 reviews
4. Re: July Itinerary Help

a few thoughts. I do believe you can book transport to Cannon Beach thru Amtrak so perhaps you can get there from Portland at the start of your trip. If you decide on San Juan Islands then its easy to get there

clippervacaitons.com

its very hard to do a day trip to ONP as its a huge area. You can see some ideas at

evergreenescapes.com

toursnorthwest.com

customizedtours.net

Poulsbo, Washington
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park
Level Contributor
11,759 posts
8 reviews
5. Re: July Itinerary Help

I love Portland. Both my brothers live there, but if you want a nature fix Olympic and Rainier are two of the National Parks best!!! Unfortunately Olympic requires AT LEAST three nights to get any idea of what this unique Park is all about. It is huge! Do a day tour of Mt. Rainier. You can see a lot in a ne day and trust me it will be worth it! Try and avoid a weekend when lots of people from Seattle,Tacoma and Olympia come for the day. You will love the San Juan's. Friday Harbor gets pretty busy in a Summer so try and find an acommdation that provides a little quiet. Drifting Clouds who lives there may be able to provide some suggestions.

Edited: 17 February 2016, 09:12
6. Re: July Itinerary Help

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 February 2017, 14:16
Get answers to your questions about Seattle