We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day Trips From NYC Without A Car

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
631 posts
45 reviews
Day Trips From NYC Without A Car

I will be spending about 7 days in NYC after Boston from 14 to 20 November. I am looking into spending a day or two out of NYC, some sights, quaint town will be nice. Was thinking of coney island but since it's Autumn i doubt it's a good choice as it's a beach. What other would you suggest?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
10,526 posts
26 reviews
1. Re: Day Trips From NYC Without A Car

A very popular day trip is to take the Metro North train from the beautiful Grand Central Terminal up to the towns in the Hudson River. The train trip along the Hudson River is spectacular - sit on the LEFT when leaving the city.

We went to Beacon to see the fantastic branch of Dia's gallery there. If you like contemporary art and a beautiful repurposed industrial building, then it's definitely worth a visit.

From there we got back on the train and went to Poughkeepsie. There we went up to the walkway across the Hudson. More amazing views.

We did this on a beautiful sunny day in early January a few years ago. The days are short then, so we didn't have time to do much more. But there's lots of little towns and hopefully some locals and visitors who've been there will add more ideas.

Another year we did go to Coney Island on the subway - it was also early January and we didn't go to the fun fair itself; we ogled at the great subway art when we got off the train, peered around Coney Island itself at Nathan's and the fun fair and then walked along the boardwalk to Brighton Beach to spend the day eating Russian, Georgian and Uyghur food. On the return to Manhattan the train goes over the Manhattan Bridge and there's a fabulous view of the Brooklyn Bridge, the Brooklyn Heights and DUMBO Promenades (including the magical Jane's Carousel) and downtown Manhattan.

Or take the 7 train through Queens. Here's the fantastic thread on Queens from local jhwanderer - https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763…

Have fun.

Edited: 28 September 2016, 16:37
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
10,526 posts
26 reviews
2. Re: Day Trips From NYC Without A Car

Here's another useful thread on neighborhoods of NYC that might be of interest:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763…

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
631 posts
45 reviews
3. Re: Day Trips From NYC Without A Car

Thank you! I am going to check out the places you mentioned before I decide. Seems like Hudson and Coney Island are good choices!

Astoria, New York
Level Contributor
20,619 posts
4. Re: Day Trips From NYC Without A Car

Most of the attractions at Coney Island are seasonal and will not be open in November. www.coneyisland.com/tourist-information Check hours before deciding.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
399 posts
64 reviews
5. Re: Day Trips From NYC Without A Car

I highly recommend taking a Trailways bus up to New Paltz. Beautiful town, great restaurants and shopping.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
19,026 posts
6. Re: Day Trips From NYC Without A Car

You can hop on the Amtrak and be in Philly in little more than an hour. You can easily spend along day there seeing a few major sights. (Be sure to buy tickets at least a couple of weeks in advance to get the best discount.)

Several places up the Hudson are also a good idea.

I would not do Coney island since so much will be shut.

There are also a ton of interesting places on Long Island but most are difficult without a car.

Philadelphia
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia
Level Contributor
2,967 posts
3 reviews
7. Re: Day Trips From NYC Without A Car

+1 for Philadelphia.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
631 posts
45 reviews
8. Re: Day Trips From NYC Without A Car

Thanks for all the suggestions! I checked out New Paltz and it's pretty interesting! But I am going to leave this to the next trip. I am leaning towards Hudson or Philadelphia. Are all the major sights within walking distance for Philly?

Philadelphia
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia
Level Contributor
2,967 posts
3 reviews
9. Re: Day Trips From NYC Without A Car

Philly is very walkable. If you are talking about the historical area, you can take a commuter train from 30th Street Station to Jefferson Station (two stops, only takes a few minutes) for free, just show your AMTRAK ticket. You will be right in Center City, across the street from the Reading Terminal Market (a must stop). And you are only a few blocks from the historical section.

Post any questions on the Philly board.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g60795…

New York City
Level Contributor
6,460 posts
77 reviews
10. Re: Day Trips From NYC Without A Car

If you want to walk, Philly is the better choice, Most of the major attractions are within walking distance or Septa (Subway in Philly) ride away