We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

JFK To Boston

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
631 posts
45 reviews
JFK To Boston

Hi I am looking for the most fuss-free way to travel from JFK to Boston. I will be arriving on Singapore Airlinr and thinking of taking JetBlue flight over. Do I have to get in and out of immigration? Will the time spent clearing immigration the same as if I take the option of getting out of airport for the Amtrak?

My luggage should be able to tag through the whole journey from SG to Boston since both airlines belong to star alliance.

Thank you for helping.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
19,111 posts
1. Re: JFK To Boston

Sorry - but in the US you MUST enter at the first airport you land at. Is that NYC or are you coming into a flight on the west coast? In any case you go through Immigration at the first US airport you land at (allow at least an hour for this) then must pick up your luggage and go through Customs. If it's a flight on the same airline your luggage should be marked to the final airport and there will be a place to leave it just as you exit Customs and someone from the airline to make sure you do it properly. Then you must go back through security for your next flight.

Assuming this process happens at JFK be sure you have at least 3 hours to make the connection or you could run out of time since luggage often is slow turning up.

I would simply fly on to Boston rather than get you luggage and trek into Manhattan to take Amtrak to Boston - the only time I would ever fly to Boston. But do make sure that they will check the luggage through and you don;t have to go to the departures area and completely recheck your luggage.

Edited: 16 September 2016, 08:21
Astoria, New York
Level Contributor
20,690 posts
2. Re: JFK To Boston

Your customs and immigration process will be the same whether changing planes or leaving for the train. You'll have collect and then recheck your luggage for customs. There may be a recheck desk right outside the customs exit. Not sure if you'd need to change terminals, if yes, there's a (free within the airport) Airtrain for that.

If prices are reasonable, flying will probably be simpler as you won't have to spend time and money getting yourself into Manhattan to Penn Station for the train.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2,504 posts
3. Re: JFK To Boston

I would see how much it is to change your flight to fly directly to Boston. That can potentially save you a lot of time and stress.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
631 posts
45 reviews
4. Re: JFK To Boston

I have a conference in Boston. The reason why i'm flying through NYC is because i want to extend a week in NYC after the conference. I am not sure if the airfare will cost more if I fly into Boston (Via San Frans By SQ) and leave from NYC but I'm going to try asking now.

So based on what I understood from you guys and ssuming i am sticking to the NYC route, I still have to clear immigration, get out and collect my luggage and then check in again, right?

Astoria, New York
Level Contributor
20,690 posts
5. Re: JFK To Boston

If you flew into San Francisco before Boston, you'd go through customs and immigration in SF. You go through the process in the first place you land on US soil.

We had been assuming your flight into JFK was direct from Singapore to JFK. If you have a stop on the west coast before JFK (or Boston) your onward flight to JFK would be domestic and luggage could be handled as such by the airlines.

Edited: 16 September 2016, 09:10
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2,504 posts
6. Re: JFK To Boston

You want an open-jaw ticket. Fly to Boston, travel by train to NYC, fly home from NYC. Ask how much it is, if it's too much you'll know what to do for next time.

Our airports, in NYC, are not made for easy connections.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
631 posts
45 reviews
7. Re: JFK To Boston

"You want an open-jaw ticket. Fly to Boston, travel by train to NYC, fly home from NYC. Ask how much it is" - this is exactly what I am going to do now. Will check and decide. If not, i'll just do SIN-NYC-SIN and then fly Jetblue one way to BOS. I plan to tain amtrak from BOS to Manhattan. I'll make sure I have 3 hours in between my connecting flights. Thank you everyone for your help here :)

NY,NY
Level Contributor
2,230 posts
60 reviews
8. Re: JFK To Boston

So based on what I understood from you guys and ssuming i am sticking to the NYC route, I still have to clear immigration, get out and collect my luggage and then check in again, right?

-----------------------

Yes.

9. Re: JFK To Boston

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 September 2017, 13:17