We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

July or August 2013 hotel prices

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
293 posts
147 reviews
July or August 2013 hotel prices

Hi...I am in the beginning stages of planning a summer 2013 trip to NYC and the Adirondaks and am having trouble finding a hotel in the city. Since I am so far ahead I am just interested in late July or early August. Probably arriving on a Tuesday and checking out on a Saturday. There will be four of us. I would like somewhere close to subway. Not directly in Times Square but outside would be ok (hells kitchen, etc...)...upper east or west side, lower east or west side, Murray Hill, Chelsea are all fine. Not too concerned with shopping but would like some budget to moderate (no more then $20 a person) restaurant options close to hotel. I would ideally like to stay in the $200-$250 price range or a little less if I can. I am wondering if nothing is showing up because its so far ahead of time or is it that the city books up that quickly? I just visited in May and we were able to find some options on a few weeks notice. Thanks for your help and recommendations.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
5,042 posts
18 reviews
1. Re: July or August 2013 hotel prices

I think you're way too early to book accomodations for almost a year out. If you find anything listed now it will be the most expensive "rack rates." July and August are relatively cheap months for hotels, start looking around February or March next year and you'll start seeing better rates and plenty of options.

Edited: 15 September 2012, 02:58
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
105,230 posts
13 reviews
2. Re: July or August 2013 hotel prices

While it is too early, I'll also tell you late July/early August has become a more expensive time in NYC because that's when the UK schools have their summer break. Earlier in July (esp. around the 4th) or later in August (especially the last week) you'll find MUCH cheaper prices. While things might improve closer to the trip, I don't think you should have hopes of finding lots of options within that price range at that time, esp. if there are more than 2 of you. If you're just 2, you might find some secret sale hotels (like Hotwire) on quikbook.com

Albany, New York
Destination Expert
for Albany
Level Contributor
2,452 posts
72 reviews
3. Re: July or August 2013 hotel prices

I have found great rates towards the end of August. Also look downtown on the weekends in the summer can be inexpensive.

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
293 posts
147 reviews
4. Re: July or August 2013 hotel prices

Thanks for the advice. My kids go back to school around the 20th of August so we are limited by that...they do finish school before Memorial Day and that is when we visited this year so maybe I will try that again for next year. One of the issues is that we are spending a week in the Adriondaks as well and the rentals we are looking at rent from Saturday to Saturday or Sunday to Sunday. We could find one that doesn't but so far the few on the short list do it that way. NYWhiz...do you think that $250 in early July is doable? When we visited in May (memorial weekend) we were able to stay in the Times Square Hilton, two double (or maybe queen...can't remember) beds for about $275...

Thanks so much for your help and advice...its so nice to have such wonderful people to pass on their knowledge! :o)

Chicago, Illinois
1 post
5. Re: July or August 2013 hotel prices

has anyone updated this question? I'm also going in July and would like to know about hotels around that time

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
105,230 posts
13 reviews
6. Re: July or August 2013 hotel prices

The basic info still holds. Early July is typically much better than later. What's your question?

7. Re: July or August 2013 hotel prices

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 February 2014, 13:15