We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

July NYC trip itinerary - Please comment - First trip!

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
74 posts
203 reviews
July NYC trip itinerary - Please comment - First trip!

A friend and I will take a trip to NYC this July and would like to solicit some help with our schedule/plans. My wife and his fiance decided not to join us, so we are going to go non-stop... That may be the reason they decided not to join us, but that is not pertinent here :)

Anyway, we will fly in from Houston, TX on Wed. 7/4 and fly back on Sun 7/8. We would really appreciate any input regarding our intentions and if anything seems overly ambitious.

7/4

3:30 PM Flight arrives at LGA

4:30 PM arrive at Marriott Marques in Time Square

5:00 - 7:00 walk around Time Square

7:30-10:30 travel down to battery park for the fireworks

11:00-12:00 Empire State Building

7/5

7:00AM - 1:00 PM Statue of Liberty/Ellis Island

1:30-6:00 PM World Trade Center and walking around financial district

7:00 - 9:30 PM train to Brooklyn; Pizza at Grimaldi's; walk across Brooklyn Bridge

10:00 - 12:00 Time Square (again)

7/6

7:00AM - 1:00 PM Rockefeller Center/Radio City Music Hall (tour)/ NBC studios (tour)/ Top of the Rock

2:00-4:00 United Nations (tour)

5:00-11:00 PM Yankees Stadium and Yankees game

7/7

No schedule - Central Park/ FAO/MET/ Natural History Museum; St. Patrick's Cathedral; Broadway/5th Avenue

7/8 (AM)

No Schedule - Little Italy

1:00 PM travel to LGA for flight to Houston

We have the first few days pretty packed and we left the last 1.5 days open to relax and to see other things that we may have missed. In terms of the pace, we are 2 men in our mid 20's in relatively good physical shape. We are coming from a crazy hot and humid environment. The main question I have is: Is this schedule doable or is it too ambitious?

I would also appreciate any insight into the order we are doing things, the grouping of activities, or anything of that nature.

Everyone on Trip advisor was so helpful for my wife and my trip to London and Rome earlier this year. I hope we can continue that streak with more help for this trip. Thank you in advance for your help.

New York City
Level Contributor
17,257 posts
3 reviews
1. Re: July NYC trip itinerary - Please comment - First trip!

The Fourth of July fireworks are not in the harbor. They are in the East River, and are not really visible from Battery Park. Instead, head for the elevated FDR Drive along the East River. The Drive is closed to traffic that evening, and people are allowed up on it -- a great spot for viewing the fireworks. Bring a blanket to sit on, as it will be a long wait.

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
74 posts
203 reviews
2. Re: July NYC trip itinerary - Please comment - First trip!

Excellent. I thought they were in both places, but I am glad we got that straightened out now! Thanks.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
105,230 posts
13 reviews
3. Re: July NYC trip itinerary - Please comment - First trip!

Actually, GWB, the last year or so there have been additional fireworks around the Statue of Liberty which should be visible from Battery Park, but I agree there's no reason to go down there from midtown when you could just head east and watch them from midtown. Info on the 3 locations here

…about.com/od/…nycjulyfourth.htm

Only other comment at this point is that most locals will tell you Little Italy is not worth a trip. I'd say what you're missing is a "neighborhood" stroll whether it be Greenwich Village, Soho etc. Imo, doing the Met and Nat. Hist. on the same day is a bit much.

Ohio
Level Contributor
1,454 posts
29 reviews
4. Re: July NYC trip itinerary - Please comment - First trip!

There is no where near enough SHOPPING in this schedule! :-) I would never go to NYC without hitting shops on 5th Ave and in Soho. At least swing by Soho and The Village -- they are cool areas.

Also, unless you are dying to see Ellis Island this time around, I would just view the SOL from the Staten Island Ferry or Circle Line cruise. Frees up a LOT of time on what is already is very short trip.

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
74 posts
203 reviews
5. Re: July NYC trip itinerary - Please comment - First trip!

Not enough shopping = reason wife is staying home!

I am interested in going over to Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island, my friend is more interested. He is a big "tour" kind of guy where he wants to actually be there. If we get there in the morning and the line is too long or we do not get over on the first boat, we will skip it. It is something we want to do, but we are not going to sit there waiting for hours to do it!

Neighborhoods? Are there any suggestions for a fun stroll through a neighborhood?

As for the two museums in one day.... We are not big art guys, so the MET will probably be only a quick "tip of the iceburg" visit. I know that would be blasphemous to some, but that is how it is.

West Palm Beach...
Level Contributor
11,328 posts
6. Re: July NYC trip itinerary - Please comment - First trip!

Don't worry about scheduling a trip to see Times Square (by the way, it's Times with an 's' - named after the newspaper). If you're staying at the Marquis, you're literally in Times Square, you'll see it constantly.

7. Re: July NYC trip itinerary - Please comment - First trip!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 September 2009, 02:18