We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Newark airport to Bedford Stuyvesant

3 posts
Newark airport to Bedford Stuyvesant

Hello,

My daughter and I will be arriving from Australia at Newark airport next Sat at approx 5.30pm and need to get to Bedford Stuyvesant.

Am I right in assuming that public transport will be tricky and that we should go via taxi or Uber? Will Uber be the cheaper option?

I assume it will be relatively easy to find the taxi line but if we want to use an Uber how/where will I connect with them? Is there a specific pick up area for Uber drivers? Also, will WiFi be available at the airport? I will be able to access the Uber app via WiFi on my phone but won’t have a SIM card until we sort one out the following day.

Also, with a cab or Uber - if I pay by card will there be an option to automatically include a tip? Still need to get my head around the tipping!

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide. Have been spending lots of time reading this forum while planning my trip and it has been great :)

12 replies to this topic
Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
13,678 posts
31 reviews
1. Re: Newark airport to Bedford Stuyvesant

Where are you staying in Bedford-Stuyvesant? Is it a hotel? If not, are you ABSOLUTELY confident that this is not an illegal rental or a scam? Many, but not all rentals are one or the other. The source of the offer doesn't matter.

If you post the address then experts on this board can advise you.

3 posts
2. Re: Newark airport to Bedford Stuyvesant

Thanks for the concern AudenHoggart! We are actually staying with a family member for the first few days and then moving to a hotel in Manhattan. I took the warnings about Airbnb on this site seriously - it seems like things have changed a lot since we were last in NY 5 years ago and used Airbnb.

I posted here so someone familiar with the airport could let me know how it would work to use and Uber from there. My relative isn’t that familiar with Newark.

3. Re: Newark airport to Bedford Stuyvesant

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 10 November 2018, 19:43

Queens, NY
Level Contributor
9,229 posts
16 reviews
4. Re: Newark airport to Bedford Stuyvesant

She said the relative doesn't know Newark, which is fine.

Uber is roughly the same price as taxis in NYC - it's regulated that way. Both will be probably around $80 from Newark to Brooklyn, maybe a little more, the big deal is getting socked with the toll charges crossing the Hudson. The airport has WiFi and a designated area for Uber/Lyft.

Public transport would be several changes, so a lot more of a pain - Airtrain to NJ Transit to the subway - but more like $17ish a person.

The reason I'm being sketchy with the subway directions is that Bed-Stuy is a big neighborhood and served by three different subway lines from different directions, so I can't give you good directions without knowing what part of the neighborhood you're going to.

Astoria, New York
Level Contributor
20,933 posts
5. Re: Newark airport to Bedford Stuyvesant

Transport by a cab or car service can be expensive because you are crossing state lines.

You can get fixed rate price estimates from car services such as Dial 7 or Carmel.(prices will be before tip and turnpike & tunnel tolls) Uber uses "surge" pricing so they raise costs at times of greater demand. (JH - since when are car service prices regulated by anything other than market forces?)

There is an Airtrain / NJ Transit connection for getting into Penn Station in Manhattan (about $13/person) https:/…air-train

Once in Manhattan you could take the subway - your relatives should be able to advise the subway route from Penn Station. http://web.mta.info/maps/submap.html (Be aware you may need to carry luggage up/down stairs in some subway stations and most likely need to transfer subways to get to that part of Brooklyn)

Once within the city limits you could also take a Yellow cab - but it would be on the meter and the cost will vary by time/distance nyc.gov/html/…taxicab_rate.shtml

(Short term rentals have been illegal here for a number of years - but as the situation has gotten worse there is a lot of public discontent about the loss of housing and enforcement has been increased - this is happening in many places worldwide.)

Edited: 19 September 2018, 19:33
Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
657 posts
10 reviews
6. Re: Newark airport to Bedford Stuyvesant

$80 seems awfully low as a taxi estimate, unless that doesn't include tolls and tip.

You need to figure out what subway station is closest to your family's place. Otherwise, all we can say if you don't want to pay for a taxi is to take AirTrain to NY Transit to Penn Station, then get to the place in Bed Stuy via taxi or subway.

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
13,678 posts
31 reviews
7. Re: Newark airport to Bedford Stuyvesant

Even if family member isn't familiar with Newark, which is entirely possible, they should certainly be familiar with their own neighborhood. They surely know their street and cross street, and the nearest subway station. With that information posters can give the OP accurate directions.

Level Contributor
908 posts
69 reviews
8. Re: Newark airport to Bedford Stuyvesant

I would use Uber, b/c they have gps and the taxis at Newark are Jersey taxis and may not know Brooklyn or have gps. Public transportation is doable, but you will likely not be up for it after a long flight.

3 posts
9. Re: Newark airport to Bedford Stuyvesant

Thanks to all who’ve responded. It’s good to know about the WiFi and designated Uber area at the airport. We might see how exhausted we’re feeling when we arrive and decide on Uber/taxi or public transport.

We are staying on Lafayette St. The nearest subway station is Bedford Nostrand Avs if that makes any difference to the advice given above.

Many thanks.

Queens, NY
Level Contributor
9,229 posts
16 reviews
10. Re: Newark airport to Bedford Stuyvesant

Yeah, it would have to be

AirTrain monorail ->

New Jersey transit train to Penn Station ($14) ->

A train to Hoyt-Schermerhorn ($2.75) ->

G train to Bedford-Nostrand.

Is it doable? It's doable. Is it kind of a pain and a drag? It's kind of a pain and a drag.

Reply to: Newark airport to Bedford Stuyvesant
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted