We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bus #62 from Newark Penn Station to EWR Airport

United States
Level Contributor
633 posts
4 reviews
Bus #62 from Newark Penn Station to EWR Airport

Has anyone used this bus before? I read about Bus #62 which runs between Newark Penn Station and EWR Airport about every 15 minutes, costs only $1.50, takes 20 minutes and stops at all three terminals of the airport. Moreover, you can carry up to 2 pieces of luggage with you!

Schedule details here: https://www.njtransit.com/pdf/bus/T0062.pdf

I'm surprised why no one recommends this direct/convenient bus option. Instead, most people seem to recommend the NJ Transit + AirTrain combination which is not so convenient and much more costly.

12 replies to this topic
New York, New York
Level Contributor
14,640 posts
115 reviews
1. Re: Bus #62 from Newark Penn Station to EWR Airport

We recommend the NJ Transit plus Airtrain because usually people are leaving from NEW YORK-Penn Station, NOT NEWARK-Penn Station. They are two completely different places, in two different states.

United States
Level Contributor
859 posts
22 reviews
2. Re: Bus #62 from Newark Penn Station to EWR Airport

You are incorrect, it does not run every 15 minutes. In the middle of the night it runs so infrequently, that it is a bus at every hour or every 30 minutes. You are going to Newark Penn Station, New Jersey, NOT New York City Penn Station.

If you want to go to New York City, then you would have to take a Path Train to New York City. The travel time is approximately 2 hours each way from New York City to EWR. If you have time to spare and money is really tight, then go for it.

Scottsdale, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Newark, New Jersey, Binghamton
Level Contributor
12,742 posts
7 reviews
3. Re: Bus #62 from Newark Penn Station to EWR Airport

You should repost on the Newark NJ forum since this question has nothing to do with New York City The 62 runs through downtown Newark before getting to the airport. At ruch hour could take for ever sitting in city traffic to get to the airport.

Olney, Maryland
Level Contributor
9,517 posts
5 reviews
4. Re: Bus #62 from Newark Penn Station to EWR Airport

I'd say, yes, it's cheap. But when you get to Newark, you still get on PATH or the same NJT train that passed through EWR's train station. You save about a grand total of $6. And anyone is able to take the Airtrain + NJT to Newark Penn Station and then the PATH to save about $2.

After an expensive plane ride, saving a couple of dollars and adding a half hour to your trip doesn't seem worth it to most people. Saving about $70 for a taxi makes any train or bus/train trip worth it, especially when the train is often just as quick. But yes, you are correct that the NJT bus 62 to Newark is cheaper than the Airtrain part of the trip; it's just slow and gets stuck in traffic.

United States
Level Contributor
381 posts
93 reviews
5. Re: Bus #62 from Newark Penn Station to EWR Airport

OP, you have a thread about going via Amtrak from DC to Newark Liberty airport station on 12/21 and posters pointed out that you will find many more trains going only to Newark Penn rather than both and that you could go to Newark Penn and cab to the airport. I assume that is why you are asking about this bus from Newark Penn to Newark Liberty Airport. Am I missing something? Any mode of transport is going to be crowded on 12/21. If you are trying to get from Newark Penn to EWR for the international flight you mention in the other thread, I would recommend getting there as quickly as possible considering it is 12/21 and the buses from Newark Penn to EWR will likely be packed (granted, cabs may involve a longer wait than normal on that date). Frankly, if I were catching an international flight, unless I got to Newark Penn hours and hours and hours before my flight on the Friday before Christmas, and definitely wanted to experiment with the bus, I would figure out which mode of transport was moving best and hop on it. (;

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
13,674 posts
31 reviews
6. Re: Bus #62 from Newark Penn Station to EWR Airport

This bus is primarily intended for airport workers. You'll note the limitations on luggage size on this bus, 22"x16"x8". Take a taxi, it's a short ride.

New York City
Level Contributor
6,476 posts
77 reviews
7. Re: Bus #62 from Newark Penn Station to EWR Airport

Thank you for that information, Its like the Q10 bus from JFK airport most of the people here do not recommend it.,

I have heard that Newark bus is fairly quick , but its not as easy as the Airtrain, but its a good option for those trying tos ave money

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
13,674 posts
31 reviews
8. Re: Bus #62 from Newark Penn Station to EWR Airport

The Q10 bus to or from JFK is even more problematic, since it only leaves from one of JFK's many terminals. You separately have to make your way (by AirTrain) between terminals unless you happen to be using the one where this bus arrives and departs.

United States
Level Contributor
859 posts
22 reviews
9. Re: Bus #62 from Newark Penn Station to EWR Airport

FYI it does not take 20 minutes to get to airport. It gets stuck in traffic and with it picking up passengers at many stops. It takes longer!

Queens, NY
Level Contributor
9,228 posts
16 reviews
10. Re: Bus #62 from Newark Penn Station to EWR Airport

I've ridden this bus when I had plenty of spare time and wanted to be on the PATH train anyway.

It's really cheap but makes like 30 stops as it wiggles its way around Newark before you get to Newark Penn. So if you just have time to kill, it's fine.

Reply to: Bus #62 from Newark Penn Station to EWR Airport
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted